General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bikers often carry a knife..But why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:58 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
Carrying a knife has less to do with being a man than just practicality. I couldn't even begin to count the number of times it's come in handy. Even if it just to open a box or cut some cord.
Or opening anything sold in one of those damned blister packs! I have carried a knife since I was about 12. I carry an assisted opening knife because it is (a) legal and (b) convenient to be able to open it with one hand. On that note, you may want to check your state laws. In Virginia, carrying a switchblade, one that opens automatically at the push of a button, is a Class 1 misdemeanor. An "assisted opening" knife, however, that requires you to move the blade a little before the spring engages, is a "tool" not a "weapon" and therefore is perfectly legal to carry.

But lets be honest guys. There are alot of things I would do to defend myself before I would use my knife. We just like knives.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Wide Glide 25
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think most carry knives as you can see they have more practical uses than you'd think.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:44 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a Puma backpacker that I've owned for about 40 years. The lock on it no longer holds so I don't use it any more. I was in Venice Italy a few years ago and found a small locking pocket knife with bone handles that was marked made in Italy. I thought this would make a nice keepsake that my only son might like to have when I'm gone. I slip that into my pocket when I'm out for a ride, ya never know what uses might come up.....Although I am licensed I won't carry a pistol while I'm riding... cops around here don't seem to like that very much, and if you go down (and in over 40 years of riding I have )who knows where the pistol will end up.

I do have a question though for those of you who are more knowledgeable then me. I thought possession of a "switchblade", as mentioned by the OP, was a Federal Felony. I know it and any knife with any type of assist to open the blade is a no-no in NY. Anyone know the Federal laws on this?

Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 AM
popawcritter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sjef
Since I've spent my entire life working on boats, I won't get on any boat without my toolbox.
I carry a toolbox on my boat as well but it won't do any good when you get hooked by a troutline and that big catfish pulls you over the side or you're tangled in a net and sinking to the bottom,I've been snagged and pulled over the side and my knife is the reason I am here today.If you ever find yourself in that situation I hope someone is handy to throw you your toolbox.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Helen Wheels
Extreme HDF Member
Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
I guess I'm too young, or too whimpy, to understand. I would think regular work tools would be more practical. Any practical reason to carry a knife?

I do have a switchblade that I keep handy for opening letters and packages from the cycle supply store, but I dun keep it on my scoot. : )

Do I need a knife stashed somewhere when I'm out ridin?
maybe to slice a stick of salami lol

Old 03-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I carry a cutlass, it goes with my outfit.
I don't like wearing the eye patch though and the big floppy hat falls off often when riding.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:37 AM
RoadKing2438
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
I don't carry a knife for protection, I carry a Case knive, made in Bradford, Pa to gut a fish or to open the abdominal cavity of a Ruffed Grouse or Ringneck pheasant.

I use it to cut or make a gasket on a Sunday when store is closed so I can get the lawnmower working. I use it to scrape the old gasket material and glue off surfaces. I use mine to cut electrical tape instead of pulling it until it breaks. I use it to cut insulation off wires, including the sheathing from Romex house wiring. I use mine to remove slivers from my hand as I just don't carry tweezers and a pin with me.

I use it to open over-wrapped Christmas presents that someone used too much tape on. Kids have problems opening those, and now ask me if they can borrow my knife to open their gifts.

I use it to dislodge stones from the grooves of my boots so I don't scratch someone's floor. I use it to (yes I am ashamed to say it) remove some stubborn piece of food stuck between my teeth, but not at the restaurant. I use it to depress the valve stem on tires to release the air. I use it to whittle sitting around a firepit. I use it to cut flowers stems off before giving to wife to put into a vase. I use mine to clean the grease from under my fingernails after working on my daughter's car. I used it to cut a parachute rope from a missle being towed by a self releasing parachute that didn't release. I use mine to reflect upon my Dad and his generation who had so many more freedoms than we do today.

I bought my grandson a Buck Woodsman 3 years ago when he was 5 years old, and gave it to him this last Christmas when he was 8 years old. I gave it to him because we were going hunting and you should have watched him parading around the house with his new hunting knife on his belt.

Anyways, I could go on but most of us who have been carrying a knife, do it because of our fathers or grandfathers, who always said a sharp knife blade is safer than a dull blade.

My knife has 3 blades, the longest of which is about 2.5" long. The picture is my grandson when he was about 4 years old. I hope that he nevers has to ask the OP question.
I think this is the best reply yet. Other than missile thing, I have used mine for all of the exact same things. Hell, even as I was reading you post I had just finished a bag of popcorn and used my knife to get a piece out of my teeth.
I don't have a grandson as of yet but he will be here in just a few months. He will learn as I did at the appropriate time what the pocket knife is all about

Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 AM
RoadKing2438
Road Master

Also as the OP's title states " Bikers often carry knives" I do not call myself a biker. My titles include father, husband, electrician and soon to be grandfather. I like to ride motorcycles and have owned a few but that does not make me a biker. The pocket knife is just that, a pocket knife. I have knives for hunting and fishing but I don't walk around with those strapped to my belt. The pocket knife is a tool of sorts but it's not a motorcycle prop. People that don't know me don't even know that I have a knife on me. It is not something that I advertise.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:10 AM
shredder22
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sjef
Since I've spent my entire life working on boats, I won't get on any boat without my toolbox.
True story

Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 AM
shredder22
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
I don't carry a knife for protection, I carry a Case knive, made in Bradford, Pa to gut a fish or to open the abdominal cavity of a Ruffed Grouse or Ringneck pheasant.

I use it to cut or make a gasket on a Sunday when store is closed so I can get the lawnmower working. I use it to scrape the old gasket material and glue off surfaces. I use mine to cut electrical tape instead of pulling it until it breaks. I use it to cut insulation off wires, including the sheathing from Romex house wiring. I use mine to remove slivers from my hand as I just don't carry tweezers and a pin with me.

I use it to open over-wrapped Christmas presents that someone used too much tape on. Kids have problems opening those, and now ask me if they can borrow my knife to open their gifts.

I use it to dislodge stones from the grooves of my boots so I don't scratch someone's floor. I use it to (yes I am ashamed to say it) remove some stubborn piece of food stuck between my teeth, but not at the restaurant. I use it to depress the valve stem on tires to release the air. I use it to whittle sitting around a firepit. I use it to cut flowers stems off before giving to wife to put into a vase. I use mine to clean the grease from under my fingernails after working on my daughter's car. I used it to cut a parachute rope from a missle being towed by a self releasing parachute that didn't release. I use mine to reflect upon my Dad and his generation who had so many more freedoms than we do today.

I bought my grandson a Buck Woodsman 3 years ago when he was 5 years old, and gave it to him this last Christmas when he was 8 years old. I gave it to him because we were going hunting and you should have watched him parading around the house with his new hunting knife on his belt.

Anyways, I could go on but most of us who have been carrying a knife, do it because of our fathers or grandfathers, who always said a sharp knife blade is safer than a dull blade.

My knife has 3 blades, the longest of which is about 2.5" long. The picture is my grandson when he was about 4 years old. I hope that he nevers has to ask the OP question.
Some here just can't understand this stuff, but good for you and your grandson. I am sure he will grow up with understanding of all the uses for his new tool.