General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bikers often carry a knife..But why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Junkster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I carried a knife way before I rode a motorcycle. My carrying one has nothing to do with riding. It's just in my pocket when I get on it. As it is all day at work. Had an Old Timer for years but now like Kershaw's. Has nothing o do with being a man. Its a choice.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 PM
PhotoRider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a tool and it comes in handy. Don't see the difference between that and any other tool (like the OP states - screwdriver, wrench) A knife is just not a weapon you know...

The point is people don't carry a knife because they ride a bike. They just carry happen to carry a knife and ride a bike. The demographics of bikers and knife carriers have a lot of overlap.

Saying "I don't get it, I never need one" - Go figure you don't get it. If you don't need one then don't carry one.

What I don't get is why someone ponders this so much.

Last edited by PhotoRider; 03-19-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Well, this I can understand. If it's more a way I was raised thing. Maybe that's why folks are getting a bit testy.

My thing is, as a motorcycle tool, it just seems like there are way more practical ones.
I keep tools in my saddlebags. There's also a multitool in there too. But one thing has nothing to do with the other.

When I go to the airport I have to consciously remember to remove it. It's longer than the new 2.something inches they allow now. The same thing with my Zippo. I already lost a Zippo to airport security once.

In addition to the knife, nitro stats (with an aspirin) and small tape measure (it's come in handy also), I carry a small pen with me.

If I ever need the aspirin, I should be on route to the hospital because I'd be having another heart attack. So, that's the one item I hope doesn't come in too handy. lol

Old 03-19-2013, 10:59 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Not me ever. I go armed. Right and left.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 PM
primdl
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Ridiculous. Sorry. In 16 years of heavy riding in some of the most dangerous cities in the country I've never once needed a knife, let alone a gun.

A screwdriver, maybe. A wrench, maybe. A AAA card, maybe. (Can count on one hand the times I've needed those). A knife, absolutely never.

As a matter of fact, I had a Swiss Army knife in my swingarm bag for a while, but substituted that for real tools that are designed to turn a screw.

Oh well. Have fun carrying your knives and being real men. haha. I guess yall ride your bikes to the fishing hole more than I do, or get caught in barbed wire that you didn't see.

It's all good though. Ride on!
Looks like maybe you and a couple others on here might be some of the same F......G IDIOTS that don't see why some need to carry a concealed weapon, and try to force others not to...you are the problem with this country! Do what you want, but don't expect others to live the way you choose to. No, for self defense, a knife isn't needed very often, and you can consider others rednecks, hillbillies, or whatever for doing so. But if you have NEVER needed one this far in life, chances are you will wish you had one some day when you **** off a cager who pulls you over and throws you a cornholin' on the side of the road...you'll wish you had one in your boot...F... OFF!

Old 03-19-2013, 11:12 PM
beakerztoyz
Tourer

I'll have to go with the I never carry a knife on my motorcycle crowd, but then unless I'm at work (which requires a knife) I generally never carry a knife. when I'm at work it's on my belt but other than that it just stays in the truck. I really never thought of putting one in my toolbag, guess on long trips it might come in handy

Old 03-19-2013, 11:12 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Not me ever. I go armed. Right and left.
I'm not sure one thing has anything to do with the other. My gun has never opened a box for me. I've had countless occasions to use my knife.

Besides shooting at paper targets, I haven't had occasion to use the gun. It's there, just as my aspirin is, for when the **** hits the fan and there's no other choice.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mozvader
What do you do when its time to shank someone?
I'm not in prison. So if someone wants to shank me, we're at the **** hitting the fan stage. Too bad he brought a knife to a gun fight.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:31 PM
DM1975
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it was because most motor bike rider types were felons and couldn't carry a gun.

I carry one wherever I go. The needs and uses for a knife are endless for stuff I do and it has just become a habit. I also generally carry one of my 1911's as well, but a knife is always in my pocket or on my belt.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just hope the book all these people wanting reasons why others do what they do is worth reading...