General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Organizing a group ride, MN 5.26.2013

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 04:14 PM
One Vision
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Organizing a group ride, MN 5.26.2013

Hello all,

I am calling on you for some advice and maybe even participation if you are so inclined, in a ride that I am organzing.

I am a bit behind the 8 ball here as I only have 3 weeks to plan. Most resources say you should take at least 3 months, but that's just not a reality. A friend is going to loose her house and we need to raise some funds for her by June 1.

I am a manager of a restaurant and am using the resources we have here for the incentives to go on the ride, so all the swag and food etc. is pretty much taken care of.

The route is yet to be determined and should pose little to no problems, there are a lot of great 4 to 6 hour rides in the Twin Cities area.

I have questions regarding:

Should I make the donation manditory for participation?

How far should the ride go before a stop?

How long should the ride be?

What is the average pace of a given ride?

How big is too many people for a ride?

Should road captains be stationed at intervals as well as at the fore and aft of the group?

Should I contact any local clubs for participation?

Are there any legal or permit ramifications I should be aware of?

I'm not in over my head here, but I want to make sure the ride is of benefit to everyone and that it is fun, safe, and helpful to the folks who are loosing thier home.

If you are in MN and have no plans for that Sunday afternoon 5.26.2013 please send me a PM or email me at shantij13@gmail.com

After I get soem feedback here I'll advertise the ride in the appropriate forums here.

Thank you for your support!

Old 05-09-2013, 05:23 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

First you could say 15-20 a bike or a person. have a pre set ride and explain what its for. you should have someone leading the ride and a drag would also help. print off the ride map so people know where it goes. not sure if you need permits in your area, but a simple group ride, i wouldnt think so. explain what people are getting for there money. you ould also have a 50-50 drawing. good luck

Old 05-10-2013, 09:15 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Should I make the donation manditory for participation? Depends. Are food/refreshments/prizes being given away? If yes, make sure you are able to cover those costs and some more on top of it for the person that is going to benefit from this event. If not, make it known what the ride is for.

How far should the ride go before a stop? Again it depends. How long is the entire ride and in what kind of traffic conditions. City driving requires more concentration for the riders and therefore breaks should be more frequent.

How long should the ride be? I don't think much more than four to five hours total (event time, not neccesarily riding time).

What is the average pace of a given ride? See question #2

How big is too many people for a ride? Is it a group ride or poker run?

Should road captains be stationed at intervals as well as at the fore and aft of the group? Group ride? Yes, especially if it's going to be in city traffic. Poker run? No but hand out maps.

Should I contact any local clubs for participation? Contact everyone you can think of to make it worthwhile for you and the beneficiary.

Are there any legal or permit ramifications I should be aware of? Not being from Minn., I can't answer that for you. Check with the local Popo.

Good luck on your adventure but, I should probably tell you, It's going to be tough to round up a decent number of on the Memorial Day weekend people on such short notice.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 PM
One Vision
Cruiser

Originally Posted by monkeyboy22
Should I make the donation manditory for participation? Depends. Are food/refreshments/prizes being given away? If yes, make sure you are able to cover those costs and some more on top of it for the person that is going to benefit from this event. If not, make it known what the ride is for.

How far should the ride go before a stop? Again it depends. How long is the entire ride and in what kind of traffic conditions. City driving requires more concentration for the riders and therefore breaks should be more frequent.

How long should the ride be? I don't think much more than four to five hours total (event time, not neccesarily riding time).

What is the average pace of a given ride? See question #2

How big is too many people for a ride? Is it a group ride or poker run?

Should road captains be stationed at intervals as well as at the fore and aft of the group? Group ride? Yes, especially if it's going to be in city traffic. Poker run? No but hand out maps.

Should I contact any local clubs for participation? Contact everyone you can think of to make it worthwhile for you and the beneficiary.

Are there any legal or permit ramifications I should be aware of? Not being from Minn., I can't answer that for you. Check with the local Popo.

Good luck on your adventure but, I should probably tell you, It's going to be tough to round up a decent number of on the Memorial Day weekend people on such short notice.
Thanks to both of you, this is very helpful!

OV

Old 05-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Make sure you post more info when you get the details figured out. I might even have my bike done by then...

Old 05-14-2013, 01:26 PM
One Vision
Cruiser

All MN and Twin Cities riders are invited to partake in this ride dubbed:

The Ride for the House. Date Sunday May 26 starting at 10AM

Voluntary donation of $25.00 to enjoy the ride

Begin in Lake St Croix Beach riding to Lake City

Lake City back to Lake St Croix Beach

Lake St Croix Beach to Minneapolis restaurant Sea Change arriving at 3PM where brats, Oysters, and Beers are provided along with some more festivites on the riverfront patio.

please email shantij13@gmail.com to sign up and enjoy a fun ride for a good cause.

Im hoping to get 15 to 25 riders.

Thanks all

OV

Old 05-14-2013, 01:59 PM
eXs FireCat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dam I wish I could go, I'm on the other side of the border from International Falls MN, but if I were to cross the border I would need to bring my own gloves and lube

Your ride is honorable, and wish the best for your friend and your rally. As MonkeyBoy laid it out for you that would be the best. If you get more then expected then make groups with leaders.

Again I hope everything works out for your friend and best of luck to you, ride safe.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:49 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

might think about a release of liability form for everyone to sign. you will have riders with different skill levels. the local HOG group has everyone sign--even on sunday morning breakfast runs.