General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unpublished Images of the Outlaws from the 60's

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 09:54 PM
panhead_jim
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Unpublished Images of the Outlaws from the 60's

These photographs were taken by Danny Lyon, author of the Bikeriders, during the four years he spent with the Outlaws Motorcycle Club in the mid 1960's. They didn't make the cut for the book, but were later part of an exhibition in New York back in 2006. Make sure you scroll to the bottom of the page, the last image is pretty funny.

Outlaws Unpublished

Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 PM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dig the speakers on the bike, third pic from the bottom.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:57 PM
panhead_jim
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kingomtn
dig the speakers on the bike, third pic from the bottom.
I bet that's a car radio in the plastic bag between the "speakers".

Last edited by panhead_jim; 06-24-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:52 AM
SteveMKentucky
Tourer

Received 63 Likes on 14 Posts

Great pictures. I just finished reading Hunter S. Thompson's book again. It's a great glimpse back in time for me.

I'm surprised at how many full-dressers are shown in the pictures. Sonny Barger used to call them "garbage wagons." Also interesting to see the BSA and the BMW in the one pic.

Great pic of Funny Sonny too. He just died three years ago at 70 years old. My favorite Hell's Angels picture is of FS. The look on his face is priceless. He looks like he's exhilarated and just a bit more than crazy:

Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 PM
arjr
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveMKentucky
Great pictures. I just finished reading Hunter S. Thompson's book again. It's a great glimpse back in time for me.

I'm surprised at how many full-dressers are shown in the pictures. Sonny Barger used to call them "garbage wagons." Also interesting to see the BSA and the BMW in the one pic.

Great pic of Funny Sonny too. He just died three years ago at 70 years old. My favorite Hell's Angels picture is of FS. The look on his face is priceless. He looks like he's exhilarated and just a bit more than crazy:

Just finished "Riding on the Edge A Motorcycle Outlaw's Tale" by John Hall.

Hall led a Long Island chapter of the Pagans back in the late 60's...and he said he rode a Triumph, and that other members rode a variety of British bikes.

Incidentally, he also relates how the impulsive purchase of a leather jacket led to his joining the club.

When I got my first bike in 74 (a Sporty), I would see the Pagans at the local bars and they all rode Harleys.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I guess this was way before clubs were into "organized crime", when getting together for a party and riding?

Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I guess this was way before clubs were into "organized crime", when getting together for a party and riding?

oh ****, here we go again....

Old 06-25-2013, 03:11 PM
dyolfknip
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveMKentucky

I wonder if this is the last pic of a full patch HA and and an Outlaw doubling up.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
I wonder if this is the last pic of a full patch HA and and an Outlaw doubling up.
I was wondering the same thing.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:00 PM
SteveMKentucky
Tourer

Received 63 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
Yeah, that's a good point. I thought the same thing the first time I saw the picture. Not likely to see that today.

Quick Reply: Unpublished Images of the Outlaws from the 60's