General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on registering a bike with lien title

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 04:41 PM
sarpeezy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Advice on registering a bike with lien title

Good afternoon,

Over the weekend I bought a bike from NY and the owner had a lien on the bike (through HD financial). So being from NY, i guess they dont have bill of sales, so he wrote on a piece of paper that explains the deal and we both signed it and each have a copy of it. He also gave me the title with the lien on it, and signed the back where it states that i bought the bike.

Seller just informed me that HD is going to take 2-3 weeks to send the title, which he then can send to me.
Being from CT, i have to get the bikes VINs verified before registering (law in CT since the bike is from out of state)

Does anyone know if I can atleast get temp plates with what I have? Or do I have to wait 2-3 weeks until the clean title gets here to get the whole thing started?

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2013, 04:53 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,211 Likes on 11,120 Posts

Quote "He also gave me the title with the lien on it, and signed the back where it states that i bought the bike."

If HD Financial signed the title "released interest in the vehicle" you are good to go. Just go to DMV and register the bike in your name (after the VIN verification). You don't need to wait for HD Financial to send the title since you already have it in your possession.
If HD Financial is still the legal owner of the bike, the seller could not have given you the title.
If you bought a bike from a seller who does not legally own it, shame on you. You are trusting the seller to pay off the loan with your money. You should pay off HD Financial directly.

Last edited by upflying; 10-22-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:55 PM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts

Laws vary from state to state, but if HD had a lien on the bike, I don't think you're going to get anywhere without a lien release from them. They don't have the tile, you do. So maybe a lien release is what the seller is waiting on.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:07 PM
sarpeezy
Tourer

Seller just texted me saying "HD just faxed a satisfied lien statement to me, I can fax it to you in the morning when I get back to the office"

So i guess the thread went kind of pointless all the sudden

Old 10-22-2013, 05:09 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,211 Likes on 11,120 Posts

Originally Posted by sarpeezy
Seller just texted me saying "HD just faxed a satisfied lien statement to me, I can fax it to you in the morning when I get back to the office"

So i guess the thread went kind of pointless all the sudden
DMV probably won't accept a fax of a cleared lien.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Good deal, but you took a HUGE risk doing business like this.
It could have easily gone wrong.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sarpeezy
Good afternoon,

Over the weekend I bought a bike from NY and the owner had a lien on the bike (through HD financial). So being from NY, i guess they dont have bill of sales, so he wrote on a piece of paper that explains the deal and we both signed it and each have a copy of it. He also gave me the title with the lien on it, and signed the back where it states that i bought the bike.

Seller just informed me that HD is going to take 2-3 weeks to send the title, which he then can send to me.
Being from CT, i have to get the bikes VINs verified before registering (law in CT since the bike is from out of state)

Does anyone know if I can atleast get temp plates with what I have? Or do I have to wait 2-3 weeks until the clean title gets here to get the whole thing started?

Thanks!
You paid all of the money to HiM, and HARLEY holds the lien?

Mistake 1.

Go to your local tax office or dmv, depending on who handles registration in your state and talk to them. They can tell you what you need to do.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Len
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by upflying
quote "he also gave me the title with the lien on it, and signed the back where it states that i bought the bike."

if hd financial signed the title "released interest in the vehicle" you are good to go. Just go to dmv and register the bike in your name (after the vin verification). You don't need to wait for hd financial to send the title since you already have it in your possession.
If hd financial is still the legal owner of the bike, the seller could not have given you the title.
If you bought a bike from a seller who does not legally own it, shame on you. You are trusting the seller to pay off the loan with your money. You should pay off hd financial directly.

what he said!!

Old 10-22-2013, 05:54 PM
sarpeezy
Tourer

I guess I got lucky that I didn't get screwed over..but definitely lesson learned.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:16 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I don't think other than worrying about the guy sending you the title there is much you can do except get it insured and ride.This worked for us in CA.

I went thru this when I bought my wife a Spyder.The old man had it financed,we gave him the cash and had to 5 weeks.He called and said he got the title.

That was a long 5 weeks wondering if we would ever get it!