General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy American

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 04:26 PM
tjcaron
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Genessee cream ale made in Genessee New York.
My friends named their little girl after that beer..coolest name.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can this subject be beaten to death anymore around here?

Old 11-29-2013, 04:40 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ghira75
good luck finding anything made in America there!
Yeah but a lot of people in America make their living in someway related to Harley and their sales. Supporting American workers should be the goal. Oh don't forget Canada as we are one of your biggest trading partners.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:45 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 01fxdxt
Jeez,where are all the China crap lovers that extoll all the wonderfulness of modern foreign trade,cost, bad unions etc. etc..Must be they haven't taken the corporate dick out of their mouths yet.
EAT THE RICH
If you actually got people to only buy American and made it know it might cause a problem. Other trading countries may do the same thing and refuse to buy American which would not be a good thing. Like it or not the world is getting smaller with new emerging Countries that are huge opportunities for North American companies. Careful what you wish for. Flame away or maybe agree?

Old 11-29-2013, 04:56 PM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

If it weren't for the American economy buying the chinese crap, they'd HAVE no market. That's why they keep propping us up with loaned money. Part of the "favored nation" status given by.........???? There will be a test later

It's also why they tax our exports so heavily while limiting what the US (and other countries) can do with constantly devaluing their currency. What's the going price for a 2014 Ultra Limited in china???

**** on 'em.

Rant off.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:01 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

It is a world economy now. That is best for all of us. In terms of any road vehicle there is not one brand made in America. Many Toyota's have more U.S. parts than the big three. My 03 Izuzu Asender Limited had 86% US parts and a 03 Buick had 73% US sourced parts.

I recall when I was young the economy would boom and bust every few years in this area. It was because the area economy was John Deere, Farmall, Minneapolis-Moline, IH and several others. Most of the product was made in the area. When farm income went down the shops would lay off. Now most are gone. The few remaining have a much smaller foot print and the economy is more diversified.

The remaining few have outsourced much of their components and assemble here.

It will never go back. Even the Japanese outsource. Shimano makes their stuff in China. The family even moved from Japan to California.

Even the FTC has a hard time determining what can be called "Made in America" any more. A recent newspaper article reported on their problem with insuring that designation was correct.

The only clear cut factor is if it is a company that is incorporated in the U.S.
So with that as a standard Toyota is Japanese and Harley is American yet Toyota is more than likely to have more US sourced parts than HD .

Old 11-29-2013, 06:21 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by d-streetglidr
If it weren't for the American economy buying the chinese crap, they'd HAVE no market. That's why they keep propping us up with loaned money. Part of the "favored nation" status given by.........???? There will be a test later

It's also why they tax our exports so heavily while limiting what the US (and other countries) can do with constantly devaluing their currency. What's the going price for a 2014 Ultra Limited in china???

**** on 'em.

Rant off.

If it weren't for the American economy buying the chinese crap, they'd HAVE no market. That's why they keep propping us up with loaned money.

Not quite; they sell worldwide and yes the USA is a large consumer of their products. Sad but the reason they loan you so much money is you demand it like drunken sailors and they lend it to you because they have it and hope like hell you can pay although some doubt now exists. As to the currency issue. man you are so far off base. You have a need to print more money to pay these guys....do you know what that is doing? You really need to put your emotions aside and do your homework. Before you flame you need to know I am not anti American in any way. The USA is the second best country in the world and I am proud to be their neighbour. Some times though American pride can blind one so that they really can't see what is going on or don't want to see. American people are one of the strongest people in the world but there is a need to focus on what is materially wrong rather than blaming China or the call centres in India. To say China would not have a market for its goods without the USA is either and uneducated or arrogant comment and I am not sure which. Would they have a problem without the USA you betcha but the last time I checked they had other customers. Now if the USA could not pay the debt they owe to China now that would be a problem. I have tried to keep emotion out of my comments. In the interest of diplomacy and to maintain an intelligent conversation my I ask that you do the same. Happy USA thanksgiving to you. We still have a great deal to be thankful for in spite of some current challenges that will be resolved.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:04 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

I mostly try to buy American for the quality. I have no problem buying quality goods manufactured in other countries. Every dollar I spend on this soil provides jobs to Americans, no matter where the product was manufactured. I don't (and never have) owned an imported car.

But can someone (anyone) explain to me why we do billions and billions of dollars in business with COMMUNIST China but if I try to bring a Cuban cigar into the country, I can be arrested.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:22 PM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dribble
I mostly try to buy American for the quality. I have no problem buying quality goods manufactured in other countries. Every dollar I spend on this soil provides jobs to Americans, no matter where the product was manufactured. I don't (and never have) owned an imported car.

But can someone (anyone) explain to me why we do billions and billions of dollars in business with COMMUNIST China but if I try to bring a Cuban cigar into the country, I can be arrested.
Yes it is real simple. Your government has banned you from buying Cuban products to punish Cuba. I goes back to the the early 1960s. The motivation to continue the ban on Cuban products is weakening but it will be a few more years yet. You buy from China because they make a whole bunch of stuff you want at low prices.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:28 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,218 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
If you actually got people to only buy American and made it know it might cause a problem. Other trading countries may do the same thing and refuse to buy American which would not be a good thing. Like it or not the world is getting smaller with new emerging Countries that are huge opportunities for North American companies. Careful what you wish for. Flame away or maybe agree?
When I was a kid there weren't a whole lot of other countries out there trading with the United States, mostly because they were still rebuilding after we kicked their asses.

We did just fine too.

Carl

Quick Reply: Buy American