General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy American

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 07:29 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,537 Likes on 2,267 Posts
Default just did

Bought a USN Pea Coat - Made in USA!

Old 11-29-2013, 07:44 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by UppercaseJC
Yes it is real simple. Your government has banned you from buying Cuban products to punish Cuba. I goes back to the the early 1960s. The motivation to continue the ban on Cuban products is weakening but it will be a few more years yet. You buy from China because they make a whole bunch of stuff you want at low prices.
Yes I do know about the trade embargo, I'm merely questioning the hypocrisy of my government regarding it, through nine different administrations no less.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
When I was a kid there weren't a whole lot of other countries out there trading with the United States, mostly because they were still rebuilding after we kicked their asses.

We did just fine too.

Carl
Lol....... Best comment I have read on here in a while.

Oh yeah and *** China.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:45 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dribble
Yes I do know about the trade embargo, I'm merely questioning the hypocrisy of my government regarding it, through nine different administrations no less.
I agree with you it seems China OK sure, Cuba no way never. I really don't think Cuba is much of a threat anymore. Time to quit punishing the people because of their bib mouth leadership I think.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:00 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree with you it seems China OK sure, Cuba no way never. I really don't think Cuba is much of a threat anymore. Time to quit punishing the people because of their bib mouth leadership I think.
I agree. I remember when that embargo took place. I had an uncle that smoked cigars and he walked around bitching for years.

Lift that stupid embargo. It's been over 50 years and time to get over it.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:04 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,623 Likes on 12,011 Posts

Sad but the reason they loan you so much money is you demand it like drunken sailors

I have tried to keep emotion out of my comments.
Oh well......back to the drawing board.

Comment from Non-Americans - I get along just fine with Canadians (except border guards), but eventually, usually after a few (or more) beers, this is the recurring theme - Canadians love to tell Americans how screwed up we are and how perfect they are. But please, tell me more about us.

World economy - sure, that's where we are at and it's a good thing - within reason. But, exporting all of our manufacturing jobs is not. Nor is it wise to outsource our customer service jobs. I think the post earlier regarding foreign bullets is a great example of how we are screwing ourselves with our policies/behavior to the extent that we won't even be able to make our own bullets to defend ourselves.

The Blame - Rests squarely on our own shoulders. Back in the day when we bought Sony instead of Zenith, we cast our vote. Back in the day when we skipped adding a lock washer here and there because we didn't care about quality, we started digging our own grave. Today when we buy a Chinese t-shirt that says "Live to Ride, Ride to Live - Harley Made in America" we add to the pile of irony.

So to the OP - thanks for the reminder. We need it every day. And best wishes for your continued success as an American manufacturer employing American people.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:17 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

I have also purchased products made in Viet Nam due to our bilateral trade agreement with them. Last I checked we never fought a ten year war with Cuba. The Soviet Union is gone. Cuba is no threat.

If we lifted the trade embargo they might even start cashing our rent checks for Guantanamo Bay (something they haven't done since the revolution).

Old 11-30-2013, 10:30 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,857 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Oh well......back to the drawing board.

Comment from Non-Americans - I get along just fine with Canadians (except border guards), but eventually, usually after a few (or more) beers, this is the recurring theme - Canadians love to tell Americans how screwed up we are and how perfect they are. But please, tell me more about us.

World economy - sure, that's where we are at and it's a good thing - within reason. But, exporting all of our manufacturing jobs is not. Nor is it wise to outsource our customer service jobs. I think the post earlier regarding foreign bullets is a great example of how we are screwing ourselves with our policies/behavior to the extent that we won't even be able to make our own bullets to defend ourselves.

The Blame - Rests squarely on our own shoulders. Back in the day when we bought Sony instead of Zenith, we cast our vote. Back in the day when we skipped adding a lock washer here and there because we didn't care about quality, we started digging our own grave. Today when we buy a Chinese t-shirt that says "Live to Ride, Ride to Live - Harley Made in America" we add to the pile of irony.

So to the OP - thanks for the reminder. We need it every day. And best wishes for your continued success as an American manufacturer employing American people.
Thanks, we will do our best to continue. 08-09 really sucked but now we have been profitable for 35 straight months designing, manufacturing and selling a products that are made in America by Americans and when you dial our 800 number you get to talk to an American. Some can call it arrogance I call it pride. If people want to support China by buying Chinese products then why don't you go live in the country you support and I'll stay here and support my own country.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72

You got that right! Many of us still look at the price instead of the quality and the label of origin. Some day when we make next to nothing (almost there) and just about everybody works for minimum wage, running from one part time job to the next on a daily basis, still knocking Unions (whats left of them) for making a few bucks more, maybe then we'll all see the light.
I'm not opposed to trade, but when everything has a Made in Communist CHina label on it, we're screwed. All the containers are going back empty (except for our jobs and money). I fail to see the "trade" part of it all.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Thanks, we will do our best to continue. 08-09 really sucked but now we have been profitable for 35 straight months designing, manufacturing and selling a products that are made in America by Americans and when you dial our 800 number you get to talk to an American. Some can call it arrogance I call it pride. If people want to support China by buying Chinese products then why don't you go live in the country you support and I'll stay here and support my own country.
Good for you guys! If you had something i wanted to buy, you'd get my money over some other outfit selling Chinese crap. I called around for a car hoist a year ago and this one guy selling american hoists tells me that they are made in frigging china and they are very well made to there specs. (after i asked). Told him to keep it and hung up. I don't know anybody that hates buying imported stuff more then i do, and when i simply don't have a choice, it bugs me to no end.

Quick Reply: Buy American