General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Shock or better alternative to Factory

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:05 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

My Ohlins from Motorcycle Metal were right at $500 shipped to my front door.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:52 AM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
My Ohlins from Motorcycle Metal were right at $500 shipped to my front door.

How long ago was that? I just looked at their website and I don't see anything even close to that for a Touring bike.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:48 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,271 Likes on 1,265 Posts

Just ordered JRI "B"'s from Motorcycle Metal yesterday. I did some research and everything kept on bringing me back to Howard of Motorcycle Metal. I spoke with him and he is a seriously knowledgeable guy and a pretty nice guy as well. It helps when talking to him, if you are somewhat versed in how suspensions work or at least their adjustment capability. I would encourage you to give Howard a call. He discounts for forum members as well.

He still has some of the JRI "A"'s, on his holiday special. They are adjustable for pre-load only, but are built for your weight and bike. These are running $485'ish. The "B"'
s are compression/rebound adjustable and are $760 on special. I wasn't going to spend this much, but I'd be kicking myself later if I dropped $500 or so and regretted not getting the more adjustable ones. Coming from a sport type bike that had fully adjustable suspension, I can tell you from 1st hand experience that dialing in the suspension to your personal taste takes your riding experience up a big notch on the enjoyment factor.

He also does Ohlins shocks too. From what I've read, and from what he told me, the JRI's and Ohlins are both very very good shocks and will serve you well. Regarding Progressives, from everything I've read, they are the budget choice. They also have the 970's which have a piggyback compression/rebound adjustment. I would guess these would be pretty good, but are sprung using a generic spring, not one for your specific weight. From what I've seen, they run around $750 or so from Direct Cycle Parts. By the way, DCP has some of the best prices for non-custom shocks.

Last edited by rauchman; 03-25-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:05 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

As the poster above has stated Howard usually discounts to forum members. Also I have a bit of advice. Don't assume you need the pricier,damping adjustable shocks. I bought the #2-3 version of the Ohlins with no damping adjustability. Howard nailed the damping and they work great. Too many guys overthink it and assume they need the clickers to be happy. First of all if you are gonna have clickers you need to keep notes on where they were set originally and then you need to keep track of all adjusting you do. Then once the shocks are fully broken in, the adjusters are usually end up right back where Howard set them in the first place. Setting the sag with the spring pre-load is far more important and has the largest influence on rider happiness in my opinion. Not to say that there are not some riders that can use the clickers but on these bikes the vast majority don't need 'em.

I have not used the HD premium shocks so I have no opinion about them.

Last edited by qtrracer; 03-25-2014 at 10:47 AM.