Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   When to trade? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/955811-when-to-trade.html)

LiiT 04-08-2014 12:47 PM

Motorcyclical Consumerism is the name of the game for dealers. Keeping you in debt feeds the machine.

LiiT

CGLTD 04-08-2014 12:59 PM

There is never a best time to trade. I've never traded or bought from a dealer.

Sauceman 04-08-2014 01:06 PM

Dealerships work with whats called the 4 square template;

Your trade value, the purchase price, down payment, and monthly payment.

The way it works is if they give you a good number for trade-in, they will make up for it on purchase price or financing.

Your best was to combat this is to settle all numbers individually. Get the best price first, then haggle a trade in value offer a down payment and then get the financing on those numbers. Actually your better off selling your bike privately and aquiring finacing yourself before walking into the dealer. Most buyers don't do this as it's so much easier to do it all at the dealer.

cheers

Rocket Boy 04-08-2014 01:10 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I have taken real good care of my 2012, oil change every 2500. My thing is i liked having warranty and I had a service package that i bought for $1900.00 that has paid for everything. Oil changes, tires, battery's and anything else that needed replaced. This being my first Harley I did not know how well they held up to a lot of miles. To get back to the service thing its called service one and maybe all dealers offer this but it is real nice. They give me one of there bike to ride while mine is getting serviced. Pretty handy!! I have one more year on this. I have no problem working on my own bike though. A guy gets a lot of money put in these bikes fixing them up the way you like, so it would be nice to keep it for at least another 20000.

Like I said just wondering what people thought on this!!

Thanks

S!lverBullet 04-08-2014 01:18 PM

I also have a 2012 Ultra Limited with 20k miles which I purchased new. I intend to keep her for many more years and expect to put well over 100,000 miles on her.

Rocket Boy 04-08-2014 01:20 PM

100000 miles, no kidding!!!

harleydavis 04-08-2014 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket Boy (Post 12558449)
Thanks for all the replies, I have taken real good care of my 2012, oil change every 2500. My thing is i liked having warranty and I had a service package that i bought for $1900.00 that has paid for everything. Oil changes, tires, battery's and anything else that needed replaced. This being my first Harley I did not know how well they held up to a lot of miles. To get back to the service thing its called service one and maybe all dealers offer this but it is real nice. They give me one of there bike to ride while mine is getting serviced. Pretty handy!! I have one more year on this. I have no problem working on my own bike though. A guy gets a lot of money put in these bikes fixing them up the way you like, so it would be nice to keep it for at least another 20000.

Like I said just wondering what people thought on this!!

Thanks

Only you can decide what to do with your bike. Mine is 14 years old and over 100k miles. Runs as good today as it did when I bought it new. Of course, I do all the work on mine and maintain it properly. Like someone else said, the motor can be rebuilt when needed, and it sure is cheaper than buying new all the time.

S!lverBullet 04-08-2014 02:16 PM

One of the guys in my chapter rides a softtail with over 175,000 miles on it!

SPRINGER 04-08-2014 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket Boy (Post 12555742)
I have a 2012 ultra limited with 20000 miles on it. I bought the bike new. My dealer told me that when I get 30000 mile on it, that it will be a good time to trade and be able to still get good money out of it for trade.

What do you guys think on miles and resale?

Thanks

It's your bike, trade it in when you want to not when the dealer tells you too.

SPRINGER 04-08-2014 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket Boy (Post 12555903)
I'm just wondering what people think. I really like the bike and I have it fixed up the way I want it. This bike is a cruiser and I just worry about long trips and breaking down. I know a new bike can break just as easy. I might just keep it for ever and just have motor built when it needs it. This has probably been talked about I'm sure.

If you have the bike fixed up the way you want to then keep it. As for long trips, no matter what you ride or drive, you run the risk of a breakdown. It's understandable to worry about such things but most Harleys aren't that fragile that they can't be taken on long trips, I know of many that have including myself and I have about 75k on her and I am not hesitant one bit to go and come as I please.