Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   When to trade? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/955811-when-to-trade.html)

Rocket Boy 04-08-2014 03:37 PM

Thanks everybody!! I think I will keep for another 20 or more. I feel pretty good about that now.

mazz 04-08-2014 03:59 PM

go to the used price book and see what happens in 10,000 miles and 1 year to your bike .Run the # IF a 3 year old bike with 30,000 is worth 5 g less than a 2 year old bike with 20,000 miles then it cost you 5 g in depreciation IF its only $2500 than that's your number.
Numbers are out there some guys hate dealers some guys appreciate them, you have a personal value to that and your money.Ii think you will find the curve is pretty smooth , ride safe
Mazz

Loc_Tite 04-08-2014 04:12 PM

Go around back and look at what the salesmen and mechanics are riding. Unless it Beverly Hills HD they are probably all over 5 year old bikes someone traded in for new.

LiiT 04-08-2014 05:00 PM

I buy, I sell, I trade, but NEVER with a dealer except for parts. Way too many great bikes out there needing a new home.

I only need one touring bike and if I don't total it out or some other catastrophic event, by the time I'm done with my Ultra one of us will worn to a nub. It's a Harley man. Infinitely serviceable and upgradeable and capable of many, many, miles of joy if you take good care of it. Especially if can learn to do some of your own wrench work. It was a lot simpler with the old bikes, but there is still a lot of stuff you can do on your own if you want to learn how.

LiiT

shineola 04-08-2014 05:04 PM

Educate yourself on what your bike is worth... Go to your dealer and look around at see what he has and if something catches your eye. Go back the last day of the month riding your bike and have them give you a price difference of your bike and a new one. Bring a stack of cash and show it to them ..... You never know when they may take a short deal to move another unit before month end, but of course this works best in the off season when bikes are not selling . You can always walk away

roadking2000 04-08-2014 06:52 PM

I don't go by mileage, age, or anything other than how I feel about the bike. I trade when I like something better than what I have and that doesn't happen all that often. I think about the shortest amount of time I ever kept a Harley was about 10 years or so. I did get rid of my very first after 2 years. It was used, abused and a POS when I got it. It was also the first and last used bike I ever had. For example, I decided I wanted a 5 speed, belt drive, and a EVO, so I got rid of my 71 Sportster when I got my 94 Dyna. Still had my 84 FXEFB though. I got rid of that one in 2000 when I got a Roadking, but I still had the Dyna. Sold the Dyna in the summer of 2012 and said hello to a new trike. I've had HDs with over 100K that ran as good as new. My neighbor still has the 94 Dyna that I sold him and I put 113K on it. I don't know how many miles he's put on it, but it still runs like new and I know he hasn't had any problems with it.

Pappy1 04-08-2014 06:59 PM

Trade.....Shoot I am sinking too Much Money to just trade mine in...I know I will never get the money back...but I am building mine the way I want it...I am on a St. Glide...and it is going to take more then new electronics, Plastic, for me to trade in...I am Happy with the Bike I am on...and liking the way it's starting to Look..My Motor wears out I will upgrade the motor....Best time to trade is when your tired of the bike your on....I am just not there yet

DPete 04-08-2014 07:02 PM

Yeah, 20K is just getting broke in. Ride it, mine has 50K and I would not hesitate to go anywhere on it.

lh4x4 04-08-2014 07:10 PM

I never trade or sell a bike. They took care of me so I retire them to the garage on life support (tender) and preservatives (fuel stabilizer). Take them out once a year for old times sake's.

The garage is almost full now.

TKDKurt 04-08-2014 07:34 PM

The misconception that these bikes should be replaced with relatively low miles is the product of so many people doing it. Many were midlife crisis garage queens that were purchased and then rarely ridden. I've got about 30,000 miles on mine and it feels like it is just broken in. Maintain it and ride it as long as you are satisfied with it. Mine may outlive me.