Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   When to trade? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/955811-when-to-trade.html)

Rocket Boy 04-08-2014 07:48 PM

Pappy1

That is where I am also I have 35000 invested so no matter what I do I am going to lose money. I am NOT tired of this bike, feels like the miles have just flew by. I still have a lot that I would like to do to it, so as far as losing 5000 in another year, I am going to lose a lot more than that when I trade. I'm sure they don't give any extra money for what you have done to the bike to make it better.

Rocket Boy 04-08-2014 07:55 PM

Like I said it costs me nothing to service bike so I use that money to buy stuff like chrome etc. Someday when I sell this bike it will have a lot of miles but it will still be a sharp bike. I think I am convinced to keep for a few more years and try and sell private.

scottt 04-08-2014 08:18 PM

IMHO; the only good reason to sell or trade a current bike is because you really like a new model and the advances provided. Your not buying the same bike you currently own, only new.

You are buying significant upgrades. Example woul be the Rushmore bikes. I am so happy with my 14 Limited that I plan on keeping as long as I ride. I traded in a 07 SE ultra that I was never fully satisfied.

I would not have traded, even feeling as I did about my 07 if I was not able to pay cash. To me, that is step one.

Bigwillie 04-08-2014 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket Boy (Post 12555742)
I have a 2012 ultra limited with 20000 miles on it. I bought the bike new. My dealer told me that when I get 30000 mile on it, that it will be a good time to trade and be able to still get good money out of it for trade.

What do you guys think on miles and resale?

Thanks

I think your dealer is full of sh!t. my bike has 34k and my dealer said he could only give me $7,500 because it had high miles. The point i am making is the Dealers will always`s play into a persons particular situation , if you had 5k he would say better trade now before you have 10 k and so on.
Fact is trade when its rite for you and you only not when the dealer say`s is the best time.

Str8chuter 04-08-2014 08:36 PM

Put me in the maintain it, ride it, make it mine and enjoy it category. I have a 2009 Sportster 883 with a little over 20000 miles on it and I'll enjoy it for as long as I am able. I'll be 71 in four months and G-d Willing, I look forward to another 10 or more years in the saddle. In the time that I've had it, I've put a Corbin Stingray seat on, A modulating headlight and brake light, Viking saddle bags, highway bars, luggage rack, dual trumpet air horns, forward controls, V&H pipes, SE air cleaner, and a National Cycle Windshield. It looks and rides like new. I would post a picture if I could figure out how or talk my kid brother into helping me post a pic or two...

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca.1750's

Jackie Paper 04-08-2014 08:39 PM

Why would you be be wasting time at the dealer if you were going to trade ever 30K?

Bigwillie 04-08-2014 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by lh4x4 (Post 12560298)
I never trade or sell a bike. They took care of me so I retire them to the garage on life support (tender) and preservatives (fuel stabilizer). Take them out once a year for old times sake's.

The garage is almost full now.

Nice, i would like to see some pics of your garage.

garand 04-09-2014 01:48 AM

It's sad that so many people have succumbed to the cultural myth, "I'm going to have a car/bike payment anyway" as if it's a mandatory thing in life.

baka1969 04-09-2014 02:12 AM

You do know that buying a bike new means you're going to take the biggest depreciation hit right? Motorcycles are not investments. Buying a new one every few years while trading in the "old" one costs a fortune.

I buy used bikes in great condition with low miles. I let the shnook who was the original owner take the biggest hit.

Actually keeping the bike longer is financially better, not worse. The salesman was outright lying to you.

jackstrr 04-09-2014 02:55 AM

It's mine.I like it. I'm keeping it. :icon_moped: