General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harley riding/ RV living

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 11:50 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,251 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by jsvt184
I lived in a 26' 5th wheel for most of the 80s. I worked for oil and gas exploration and they moved me around every few weeks. I didn't like living in motels so an RV was the ticket. I enjoyed living in a camper. When the oil bust happened I owned a Suzuki RM460 and a HD. I had to figure out how to move all this stuff back north. I found a welder and had the frame on the rear of the 5th wheel extended and remounted the bumper. I welded on a floor on top of the extension and there sat my dirt bike. I then welded on a trailer hitch to the bumper and pulled a bike trailer behind the camper with my Harley on it. Yeah, I know, illegal but I made it from south Texas to upstate New York before some toll both attendant called the cops on me. The trooper gave me a ticket for illegal towing and told me to get the hell out of New York as quick as I could. Made it to Vermont with no further problems. Wish I could find some pictures. I looked like the carnival coming to town.
That's asking a lot from a travel trailer frame. I'm a retired welder, and I've seen some half-assed trailer hitches fail. I like "bumper pull" travel trailers because that leaves my truck's cargo box open for a bike or other large cargo.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:09 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
That's asking a lot from a travel trailer frame. I'm a retired welder, and I've seen some half-assed trailer hitches fail. I like "bumper pull" travel trailers because that leaves my truck's cargo box open for a bike or other large cargo.
Back in the 70 and 80,s the bumpers where 4 inch tube steel welded to a descent frame where we stored out sewer hoes those days are gone, today's rVs are of lighter material and more plastic.

Last edited by turbo54; 09-08-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:25 AM
turbotom1052
Road Master
Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

The wife and I looked at this as a possible retirement option. Didn't read all the posts so don't know if it was mentioned but on one of our trial rv living runs we rented one to check out the lifestyle. We met a retired couple at the RV park we were staying at that raved about the lifestyle. They would travel all over the country staying at these parks and working for the park in exchange for am Rv spot and hookups. He did light maintenance like carpentry and light electrical for a predetermined amount of hours per week and she worked in the store and did some easy tasks around the park. It required a full season commitment and they mentioned how they were registered with an agency that set up their barter assignments. There is a forum out there dedicated to full time living in an RV

Old 09-09-2015, 05:33 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotom1052
The wife and I looked at this as a possible retirement option. Didn't read all the posts so don't know if it was mentioned but on one of our trial rv living runs we rented one to check out the lifestyle. We met a retired couple at the RV park we were staying at that raved about the lifestyle. They would travel all over the country staying at these parks and working for the park in exchange for am Rv spot and hookups. He did light maintenance like carpentry and light electrical for a predetermined amount of hours per week and she worked in the store and did some easy tasks around the park. It required a full season commitment and they mentioned how they were registered with an agency that set up their barter assignments. There is a forum out there dedicated to full time living in an RV

When we wintered in Arizona there were a lot of the people there that did "work camping". They would work at whatever task that they applied for in exchange for their site, electric or whatever deal they had made. As Canadians though we were not able to take advantage of this as we can not work in the US even for perks instead of cash.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:42 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I saw this when looking around and might just fit what you are looking for. I think if I was looking for a 5th wheel this is the way I would go.
http://www.lifestylelrv.com/page/384...orcycle-Garage

Old 09-09-2015, 07:10 AM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

We are considering the purchase of a camper again, had had one for years when the kids where young and the camper wasn't to crowded.
What we are thinking about doing is purchasing another 5th wheeler and just leaving it some place in Florida. Pay for storage in the summer and fly home to our lake house then bail out of Missouri for the winter.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:04 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

I spent a year in my 38' Overland, it was good, moved it occasionally just to change the scenery.

It's not for everyone but I enjoyed it, of course I had my home to come back to and after a year, I was ready.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:29 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,126 Likes on 2,660 Posts

My buddy did it for about 7 years, just recently gave it up, she wanted a house again. He had a 38' diesel pusher towing a full size Chevy Van (shorty) with his Softail inside the van. It was a good setup. They have had a plot in Florida for years, they would run back there for Biketoberfest to hide from winter, then hit the road after Daytona Bike Week. It was a good plan except they would have been better off with a real house for the winter.

My wife wants to give it a shot, I don't think we are there yet due to age, meaning too young to retire. Who knows what the future shall bring.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:22 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Starting a 6 week trip to IRB home.
WW NJ bike fest, OC Md bike fest, NC, Biketoberfest, St Johns fishing and home.
Heritage to cruise, Shovel to cruise + show
60 y/o living the dream.
Been rolling this package for 16 yrs now. NO regrets just great times

Attached Thumbnails harley riding/ RV living-th-9-9-15-2.jpg  

Last edited by mjrfd99; 09-09-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:22 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Thoughts???? Yeppers.. I wouldn't do it. I've spent 10-14 days in a RV a bunch of times. no way would I consider living in one full time.. Hell I couldn't get all the wife clothes, shoes, and beauty products in one...let along some of my stuff...lol

Quick Reply: harley riding/ RV living