General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New bike need help with color decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:32 AM
glide5904
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sfvas
So I struggled over this forever...like two months. I visited dealers, had them pull out bikes, saw them under the sun, shade, moonlight....u get the picture. I video taped my top three colors: Red Whatever Sunglo, Blackened Whatever Cayenne, and Charcoal Pearl. At the end it also depends how you might customize it. I was planning on blacking it out and the Charcoal went best with what I was going to do. I also liked the Denim but it seemed like it would wear out and scratches/etc would show up and can't be buffed out and even touched up. Having said that I have seen a bunch of Denim bikes and it looks wonderful - so hope I didn't confuse you more, but video it and watch it over and over; it will click what color to go with.
Your overthinking it...

Last edited by glide5904; 05-09-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:39 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I was a hair away from getting a denim black Slim that was slightly used. But them the dealer offered a deal on a new vivid black.

I made the right choice. The vivid is classic and went really well with my mods. Keep a duster in your garage. Takes 30 seconds and you get to eyeball your bike as you dust.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:51 AM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I must have odd color choices for the "Me too" motorcycles. The grey pearl is very popular in the african american community and is a cool color but way overdone as I see one everyday almost more than the vivid black. I like orange but the amber whiskey does nothing for me and after riding with a buddy with a vivid black one at a major event it gets tiring trying to find where you park. Custom paint is the answer

Old 05-09-2014, 10:02 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by grumble
You're correct, you can't buy bad-*** from the factory, however black denim paint can certainly complement one's existing "bad-***-ed-ness."
Do you have any other tips on how I can compliment my "bad-***-ed-ness"?

I feel I have been slacking off in that department here lately......

LiiT

Old 05-09-2014, 10:08 AM
1200 Low Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me I need color. Its not as much to stand out, but to not be the same as everyone else with a black bike. Get something different.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 879 Likes on 382 Posts

Next time you walk into the dealership pay attention to which color bike you check out first.
That's the color you like the best.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry to say this, "Black is the boringest color to my eyes and taste !."

Now, Just tell me to get lost and pick out whatever makes you happy.

Thorey

Old 05-09-2014, 11:40 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I will not be sucked into "what color do I like?" discussion.

Each year it becomes easier to find my vivid black Deuce...."which bike is yours?" Oh, way down there...the black one.

I am looking forward to Harley offering color coordinated, or matching, leather gear and accessories. That is one reason I have a black bike, no eye for fashion...I mean what goes with mauve or fuchsia?

The black denim look is a good icebreaker when she asks...."what color are you going to paint it?"

Nope, I will stay out of this debate...

Old 05-09-2014, 11:50 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I repainted my Street Glide from Black Pearl or what I called "Charcoal Gray" to Midnight Pearl. Midnight Pearl gave me the best of both worlds (Blue and Black). I had my painters add more blue pearl flake to it than the OEM color and in the sun it's unbelievable. I had my FXST repainted from Luxury Blue to Vivid Black just last year. As far as cleaning goes, I don't find myself cleaning a black bike any more or less than any other color I've had. I wipe them down after each ride regardless of how much dust or dirt I see it's just a habit.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:51 AM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want help choosing what's for dinner too?

These threads slay me, what color, what bike? What's the point? If you decide you don't like it down the road are you going to blame the people who made the decision for you? Funny ****.

Quick Reply: New bike need help with color decision