General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Happened To The Clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 12:46 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Not trying to dampen your parade, but I'll give you a bit of advice about Florida...it ain't the "pot 'o' gold" at the end of the rainbow that everyone who moves here is expecting. Everyone who moves here that I have known has wound up hating it after about a year; myself included. Florida has lots of sunshine, great weather, & beautiful beaches, and it is very motorcycle friendly, from it's laws to its roads, but that is the ONLY good thing about this state. "Course, what else IS there?

If you plan on working here, expect a MASSIVE pay cut, because Florida is an "at will" state. When it comes to pay scale, they are still in the 70s here. If you are retired, you will prolly be OK.
You forgot humid as fark.

I KEED. I KEED.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:49 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Alright, this is just weird. I'm in the process of wrapping up my life here in NJ and about to make the move to FL. As well as selling my house, wrapping up all our belongings to move and taking care of business, it came time to service my bike. Just not having the time, I dropped it off at the dealer and let them have at it. No way am I going to pick up the bike if FL (shipping it) and first have to service it there.

Well here is the weird part. The infamous "clunk" that all Harleys have when dropping it into first gear from neutral IS GONE! ABSOLUTELY silent!! The bike has been serviced with SYN3 for the past 4 services. Nothing new. Just wondering what happened to the clunk?

I recently lost my clunk also. It wasn't after a service as my last service was almost 5k ago. The clunk has only been gone for about the last 700 miles. I've got an appointment for my 15K service in two weeks. I'll have to ask if they can find it or how much it will be to install a new one.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 268 Posts

Not trying to dampen your parade, but I'll give you a bit of advice about Florida...it ain't the "pot 'o' gold" at the end of the rainbow that everyone who moves here is expecting. Everyone who moves here that I have known has wound up hating it after about a year; myself included. Florida has lots of sunshine, great weather, & beautiful beaches, and it is very motorcycle friendly, from it's laws to its roads, but that is the ONLY good thing about this state. "Course, what else IS there?

If you plan on working here, expect a MASSIVE pay cut, because Florida is an "at will" state. When it comes to pay scale, they are still in the 70s here. If you are retired, you will prolly be OK.
I've lived here most of my life, wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Most of you transplants, really, should go back north where you came from, because you can't handle it here.
Really, didn't you do a little research before you packed your **** and moved here? Just in case some of you northerners don't know, I'll tell you how it is here.

It gets real hot here.
It gets, and stays, real humid here.(Yes, it's sub-tropical here)
We have BIG snakes, Pythons, Anacondas, Boa's, Rattlesnakes, Water Moccasins, etc.
We have Crocodiles, Alligators, Iguanas, Cougars, Coyote, Bobcats,Wild Hogs, Armadillos,Possums, Raccoons, Sharks, Manatees,Crabs.
We have palmetto Bugs, biting water bugs, giant swarms of mosquitoes, sand fleas, fire ants, deer flies, horse flies, and bigass spiders, and Scorpions.
Our winter is on February 4th.
We have no basements here.
It rains every day during Summer, which lasts most of the year.

God, I love this place!! If you aren't a *****, and are an outdoors man, you will love it here.
If you squat to pee, you'll hate it here.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:43 PM
echorton
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently moved to FL from CT. and absolutely love it here. To the OP....please, please, please leave the nanny state politics that exist in NJ in NJ.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:02 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default I'm Ready To Ride!

Not trying to dampen your parade, but - If you are retired, you will prolly be OK.
Phew! You had me worried!

Originally Posted by uklauren
Don't worry about any of that. It's great here jeffrey. Hook up with us in the FL crew and let's ride.
Hi Lauren. It'll take a month or so before I get there. UNFORTUNATELY my bike will be there before me. We'll be in Palm Beach Gardens while shopping for a condo and looking for something in or about the Boynton area. Looking forward to hooking up with the crew.

Originally Posted by echorton
Recently moved to FL from CT. and absolutely love it here. To the OP....please, please, please leave the nanny state politics that exist in NJ in NJ.
I'll still be visiting NJ (family) but plan on NJ life just being a distant memory. The thing I'll miss most would be ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Old 07-10-2014, 07:05 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Well not to side track your post... but in about 23 months I'll retire & most likely take my butt to FL or TX. But I have had enough of the "purple state" BS to last me a life time.

As to the clunk... give it time it will be back.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:07 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,102 Likes on 17,547 Posts

Originally Posted by Bestrafen
Just in case some of you northerners don't know, I'll tell you how it is here.

We have BIG snakes, Pythons, Anacondas, Boa's, Rattlesnakes, Water Moccasins, etc.
We have Crocodiles, Alligators, Iguanas, Cougars, Coyote, Bobcats,Wild Hogs, Armadillos,Possums, Raccoons, Sharks, Manatees,Crabs.
We have palmetto Bugs, biting water bugs, giant swarms of mosquitoes, sand fleas, fire ants, deer flies, horse flies, and bigass spiders, and Scorpions.

God, I love this place!! If you aren't a *****, and are an outdoors man, you will love it here.
You forgot the " Ans ",,, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Guatemalans, Mexicans, ect ect ......

Old 07-10-2014, 07:16 PM
r1cochet
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 86 Posts

I had a Sportster for the last 14 years - bought just before I met my wife. She wanted to get her M license recently and I convinced he to take a course. Thats what's she asked me about the Yamaha BW (200cc big wheel - enduro) she rode for the training - "something must be wrong with the shifter because it doesn't make a clunk"

Old 07-10-2014, 07:42 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bestrafen
I've lived here most of my life, wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Most of you transplants, really, should go back north where you came from, because you can't handle it here.
Really, didn't you do a little research before you packed your **** and moved here? Just in case some of you northerners don't know, I'll tell you how it is here.

It gets real hot here.
It gets, and stays, real humid here.(Yes, it's sub-tropical here)
Our winter is on February 4th.
We have no basements here.
It rains every day during Summer, which lasts most of the year.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Well here is the weird part. The infamous "clunk" that all Harleys have when dropping it into first gear from neutral IS GONE! Just wondering what happened to the clunk?
The damn stealership took it off your bike, and didn't put it back! No way to prove you had one when you went in, but I'm sure if you go there and ask for one, they'll sell you a Genuine HD clunk, for about a hundred bucks.

Quick Reply: What Happened To The Clunk?