General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Best Air Filter Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 09:50 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,744 Likes on 3,511 Posts
Default Best Air Filter Oil?

I figured that once we figured out what the best cleaner was for an air filter it would be a shame to oil it with an inferior product. My wife and kids were kicked out of a Harley dealership for using 3 in 1 oil

Old 01-16-2016, 12:30 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

The oil that comes in the Re-charger kit from K&N was designed for the filter's application, so why wouldn't you use it? And I don't believe your story about the wife and kids.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:15 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,744 Likes on 3,511 Posts

Gotta love winter....hehehe

Last edited by roussfam; 01-16-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:27 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Resurrecting this out of interest:

Whose using what in lieu of K&N, PJ1 or NoToil air filter oils and how is it working for you ?

I've read that Canola oil or chain saw bar oil is just as good, for example and was curious as to the extent people were using and recommending alternatives like these, or other commercial products as well.

"Its still winter".

Last edited by HKMark23; 02-21-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:59 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 626 Posts

actually the k&n oil is probably best for their filter. even if you think it is expensive, you do not really use that much. it has a dye marker in it to tell when it needs to be serviced. remember, the basis for filtration in the COTTON media.
a lot of oils in a can have carriers that can have a negative effect on the media and break it down. the 3-n-1 oil is a good oil if out of the dropper can but is too heavy to work with and it will last a long time before drying out. wd-40 is lite enough but the carrier is the ??? and it drys with a film. if you use wd-40 on one of our steels, it voids the warranty as this film will cause sticking on the changer assy and it attracts everything and even cigarette smoke which gunks the assy up making a total tear down for cleaning.
bar oil has a tackifier in it like stp and is extremely heavy and when washed, will form a thick milky substance. i would not use silicone oils either as the are resistant to water making it hard to clean and the carrier is suspect also.
if i am going to spend $$$$$ for a filter, then i will bite the bullet and use the recommended product.

The following users liked this post:
HKMark23 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 10:08 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
actually the k&n oil is probably best for their filter. even if you think it is expensive, you do not really use that much. it has a dye marker in it to tell when it needs to be serviced. remember, the basis for filtration in the COTTON media.
a lot of oils in a can have carriers that can have a negative effect on the media and break it down. the 3-n-1 oil is a good oil if out of the dropper can but is too heavy to work with and it will last a long time before drying out. wd-40 is lite enough but the carrier is the ??? and it drys with a film. if you use wd-40 on one of our steels, it voids the warranty as this film will cause sticking on the changer assy and it attracts everything and even cigarette smoke which gunks the assy up making a total tear down for cleaning.
bar oil has a tackifier in it like stp and is extremely heavy and when washed, will form a thick milky substance. i would not use silicone oils either as the are resistant to water making it hard to clean and the carrier is suspect also.
if i am going to spend $$$$$ for a filter, then i will bite the bullet and use the recommended product.
I hear you bro. Its best not to dick around too much in the interests of parsimony alone. I'm mostly looking for ways to reduce my growing collection of half full, deteriorating cans and bottles of proprietary specialty bullshit that we all know are neither proprietary nor special. You know, the same **** different label collections we all wind up with.

I'm fairly decided on using the bio friendly Simple Green, I've already got loads of, to clean my filter and I'll probably pick up a bottle of NoToil, which is cheap up here and purpose made for the filter.

Still, I'm open to ideas.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:47 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 626 Posts

well that is really simple feat to over-come.
aerosols can be emptied and then used in spritzer bottles.
i buy in bulk machine cutting fluid and use a recharge-able aerosol can to spray while machining. i will try and post a jpeg, got mine from harbor freight moons ago.

http://rasomuro.info/images/index.php?p=79

just to give an idea, many out there.

some can be proprietary. not all oils are petroleum based like not all greases are. if the fluids are sealed from air getting to it, can last decades.

Last edited by bustert; 02-21-2018 at 11:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HKMark23 (02-21-2018)