General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

What Model for a First Time Bike Build?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 06:31 PM
scooper321
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Default What Model for a First Time Bike Build?

Thinking ahead of a winter project and I'm considering building a Harley. I'm reasonably handy and I've done several projects on my current ride. I've got the space, the tools and the ability. I'm looking forward to the learning. My question to the group is: what model or and years would be good for a first time builder? I don't want to build something I could just go buy on a used lot. Since I have a touring bike already, I'm not looking at doing one of those. I'd probably want a carbed bike, just for simplicity. But do I want a Shovel? Or an FXR? Or a Softail? Should I avoid the AMF years? Something with easy to find parts would be great, too. What would your recommendations be?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 09-14-2017, 08:45 PM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Pick the one YOU like and have at it! When you get to the core (engine and power train) they are basically all the same. IF I were doing a build I'd start with an evo fat boy or a soft tail standard. Evo parts can be had from S&S, Revtech and many other suppliers. They are a little simpler than a twinkie and not as hard to find parts for as a shovel or pan.

The following users liked this post:
scooper321 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 12:21 PM
scooper321
Road Master

Funny you mention a Fat Boy. When I was out bike shopping for my current ride (a 2007 RK Custom) I was in the market for a Fat Boy. I saw the RK Custom and initially thought it was a FB - minimal chrome, no windshield, etc. I call it my Fat Boy on Steroids! So a FB might be a good choice - but as you said, an EVO model, not the counter-balanced model... we shall see!

Old 09-15-2017, 12:35 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Evo Softail, dime a dozen on CL and the aftermarket will have you covered for ANYTHING you can think to do. And the motors are pretty bullet proof. Try and find a low mileage bike and have at it. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:03 PM
scooper321
Road Master

Interesting. I've been leaning towards an Evo for just that reason (solid motor, easy to learn/fix). And I saw a local guy has a Softail Custom for sale as a project bike (ha ha). Says it's all there but the motor is torn apart. I'm skeptical, but inquiring. Ideally, I think I'd like to do an Evo Fat Boy. But a ST Custom with the larger front wheel would be a nice cruiser alternative to my Road King...

Old 09-15-2017, 05:20 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Originally Posted by scooper321
Interesting. I've been leaning towards an Evo for just that reason (solid motor, easy to learn/fix). And I saw a local guy has a Softail Custom for sale as a project bike (ha ha). Says it's all there but the motor is torn apart. I'm skeptical, but inquiring. Ideally, I think I'd like to do an Evo Fat Boy. But a ST Custom with the larger front wheel would be a nice cruiser alternative to my Road King...
No reason for a "project", a solid running bike can be had for under $5k, look around. You can have a lot of fun making the bike yours without touching the motor and transmission. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:51 PM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

Sporty all the way ! They are about the easiest bike to get custom parts for and are very popular with the 'customisers'.
Check out the Sportster section here...b.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:22 PM
scooper321
Road Master

Originally Posted by Architect
No reason for a "project", a solid running bike can be had for under $5k, look around. You can have a lot of fun making the bike yours without touching the motor and transmission. Good luck.
That's sort of what I've done with my King: bars, pipes, fairings and assorted accessories. I'm looking for something I can get more "into". I'm not afraid of touching the motor. In fact, I'd like to. Maybe I need to find one that runs but maybe isn't perfect and tackle that instead of an entire build project?

Old 09-18-2017, 11:00 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

If you're a bike builder then the options are unlimited.

If I had a choice, I build a 90-94 FXR. My first build I learned things the hard way. It's cheaper to buy a used bike and do a total rebuild than it is to start from nothing. Starting from zero means you have to buy every nut and bolt, usually you have about twice the amount into it than it's worth. It will be a one off that's for sure but it gets expensive starting with nothing on the table.

If you buy something used as a starting point, try to find something as unmolested as you can.

Just my 2 cents

The following users liked this post:
scooper321 (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 11:42 AM
scooper321
Road Master

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
If you're a bike builder then the options are unlimited.

If I had a choice, I build a 90-94 FXR. My first build I learned things the hard way. It's cheaper to buy a used bike and do a total rebuild than it is to start from nothing. Starting from zero means you have to buy every nut and bolt, usually you have about twice the amount into it than it's worth. It will be a one off that's for sure but it gets expensive starting with nothing on the table.

If you buy something used as a starting point, try to find something as unmolested as you can.
Well, I'm *not* a builder, which is the reason I'm soliciting advice!

As I've been reading and researching this project, I've come to the same conclusion: that I should start with a re-build project, not a "build" project. I'd like to do an FXR but as far as not-yet-restored bikes, I'm finding more FX's than I am FXR's. Which is fine. An FX sounds like fun, anyway!

Quick Reply: What Model for a First Time Bike Build?