General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Gas Cap Door Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 04:59 AM
LHancock
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas Cap Door Won't Open

I've been searching the threads hoping to find an answer for this problem.

I've got a 2002 Ultra and can't open the gas cap door any longer. I have the key, the key turns in the lock just fine (seems to fuction as intended), but it no longer releases the door. I'm just glad I had enough fuel to make it home when I discovered the problem.

Appreciate anyone who can point me in the right direction.

I really wanted to post this in "What the eff is wrong with my Harley today?" section.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:01 AM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,046 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Theres a few threads on this if you do a search, heres one
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...wont-open.html

Old 09-20-2021, 06:28 AM
Back-n-Black
Club Member
Received 430 Likes on 230 Posts

Push down at 6 o'clock with pressing the release button....

The following users liked this post:
NorthWestern (09-20-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 07:00 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,223 Likes on 4,773 Posts

Originally Posted by LHancock;[url=tel:20190119
20190119[/url]]Appreciate anyone who can point me in the right direction.
Once you get it open. Disable the locking mechanism. A locking gas cap on any vehicle is a “OH ****” moment just waiting to happen.

Old 09-20-2021, 09:54 AM
LHancock
Novice

Thank you for the link. I've tried some of the suggestions there, to no avail. I've seen other, similar posts and nothing works so far.

This one doesn't have a push-button or anything of the sort. Simply insert the barrel key, turn counterclockwise, pull up on the key. Worked like a charm right up until it didn't.

I've slid all manner of slim tools into the gap on the side closest to the handlebars. No manner of poking, prying, sliding around releases it yet. Will try and find a schematic of the lock to see where I need to poke around for a better chance at popping it.

I may end up carefully bending the cover enough to gain access, then just replace the door with something NOT requiring a key.

Happy Monday!

Old 09-20-2021, 10:55 AM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,375 Likes on 894 Posts

So the key turns and you pull up but the door doesn't open at all? On mine, when I unlock the door I can't remove the key until I put it in the lock position. In the unlocked position, I can pull on the key to open the door.

If all else fails, I'd consider drilling the key lock release part out to see if you have better access to the tab that locks the door. Just don't drill very deeply to avoid damaging other things below the door.

If you decide to go with drilling, start with a smaller drill bit and work up to larger sizes until things start to come apart. And you can wrap the drill bit with tape to limit how far the drill can go in, like 3/8 inch or so. If you end up damaging the door, you should be able to purchase a new door, or a good used one.

Paul

Old 09-20-2021, 01:37 PM
LHancock
Novice

Originally Posted by pgreer
So the key turns and you pull up but the door doesn't open at all? On mine, when I unlock the door I can't remove the key until I put it in the lock position. In the unlocked position, I can pull on the key to open the door.

If all else fails, I'd consider drilling the key lock release part out to see if you have better access to the tab that locks the door. Just don't drill very deeply to avoid damaging other things below the door.

If you decide to go with drilling, start with a smaller drill bit and work up to larger sizes until things start to come apart. And you can wrap the drill bit with tape to limit how far the drill can go in, like 3/8 inch or so. If you end up damaging the door, you should be able to purchase a new door, or a good used one.

Paul
You're exactly right, Paul! (the part I bolded)

Yeah, there may be some drilling ahead of me. I need a good project for the coming weekend.

Puzzling

Thanks again

Old 09-21-2021, 10:59 PM
Old_Bikes
Club Member
Received 221 Likes on 144 Posts

Do yourself a favor and replace the locking release with a push button. It really simplifies the process. No drilling required.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:32 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 340 Likes on 294 Posts

Wow, this sucks.
Before I'd drill, I'd- like to find an exploded parts diagram of that cap/door.

Just maybe, heavily spray WD40 and lightly "shock" the cap with a rubber hammer as you turn the key.
Maybe ask another person to help, so you have 4 hands so to say.
At this point I could only guess which component of the cap is not releasing.

And if it opens, take the advice of our co-members above and replace it before you close it again.

Good luck.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:52 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,134 Likes on 7,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Wow, this sucks.
Before I'd drill, I'd- like to find an exploded parts diagram of that cap/door.

Just maybe, heavily spray WD40 and lightly "shock" the cap with a rubber hammer as you turn the key.
Maybe ask another person to help, so you have 4 hands so to say.
At this point I could only guess which component of the cap is not releasing.

And if it opens, take the advice of our co-members above and replace it before you close it again.

Good luck.
After putting WD-40 in there, work the key back & forth and see if you can feel the latch moving, if you can feel it moving you may be able to put a small screwdriver under the door and pop it open. The parts of the lock are a die cast zinc material and it is quite possible the the little titty that turns the latch mechanism is broke or worn.

Try pushing down on the door while turning the key also if you have not already done so. May free up the latch enough to get it open.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Gas Cap Door Won't Open