General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

starting up.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 03:56 AM
csonni
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default starting up.....

Just getting accustomed to getting my bike going in the colder mornings now. It's a bit like my recent Yamaha V Star.
Due to a bum choke cable, I've got to clamp the choke cable to keep it closed. It takes quite a long time down the road to get her idling to where I can release the choke without having to adjust the throttle. When starting in neutral, it goes into 1st gear awfully hard, especially with the idle up. I tried starting in 1st with the clutch in to avoid such a hard initial shift but it seems to start harder and also as if there's a slight engagement. Would be a lot easier without the clamp but it is what it is. As far as warm up and proper idle, it seems way too long for the to happen. Our temps have been in the upper 30's to low 40's when I start up. This is my first Harley. Maybe they're not happy in cold weather?

Old 10-19-2021, 05:27 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,260 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Not an expert, but what do you have in primary for oil? Maybe a change in primary oil might help with a "sticky" clutch. Sounds like a bit of clutch drag. How old is the battery? If over 3 years old, it may be at the end of it's cycle. As far as choke, might try replacing the choke cable?? Or do a search on google or you-tube. And.... you should get some decent responses here.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:08 AM
csonni
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Spartanden
Not an expert, but what do you have in primary for oil? Maybe a change in primary oil might help with a "sticky" clutch. Sounds like a bit of clutch drag. How old is the battery? If over 3 years old, it may be at the end of it's cycle. As far as choke, might try replacing the choke cable?? Or do a search on google or you-tube. And.... you should get some decent responses here.
Just replaced the batter. Since it’s a recently purchased bike, I haven’t yet gone through the oils. I saw somewhere that gear oil rather than motor oil may give smoother shifting. And yes, the choke cable will be replaced.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:18 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Was there any reason you're not wanting to fix the wonky choke cable? Yes, carb HD's are cold-blooded, but a properly working choke makes it easier to control your warm-up sequence.

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (10-26-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 06:34 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,633 Likes on 3,872 Posts

Obviously, sounds like you need a little maintenance detent on you choke cable.

Try holding in clutch as bike warms up a minute, goose the throttle a few times, bumping bike backwards with your butt and legs, and with yours, back off the choke slightly so it will idle down.

This will break the oil stuck clutch disk apart if oil level is correct and proper type in transmission and primary. This will eliminate that first gear clunk on cold startup.

Harley's gearboxes have to turn freewheel slightly to actually engage. So done correctly, it will work. Mine if I overdo it actually won't go in first.

Get that choke cable fixed. And make sure all three oils are correct weight and level for your weather.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-19-2021 at 06:39 AM.
DanHappy (10-26-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 07:11 AM
csonni
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Was there any reason you're not wanting to fix the wonky choke cable?
We've got literally only days left of riding before winter moves in. Waiting for some paperwork so I can order another key along with the choke cable, etc. No local dealer so I have to order it over the phone.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:12 AM
csonni
Cruiser

Thanks for that good advice, Ripsaw!

Old 10-19-2021, 10:40 PM
thomasj
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a plastic nut just under the choke ****. You can try tightening it up a bit to hold the **** out on its own. Not the rear plastic mounting nut but the outer one that is thin and knurled. Turn with some pliers little by little until the **** stays out on its own.

Old 10-20-2021, 04:02 AM
csonni
Cruiser

Originally Posted by thomasj
There is a plastic nut just under the choke ****. You can try tightening it up a bit to hold the **** out on its own. Not the rear plastic mounting nut but the outer one that is thin and knurled. Turn with some pliers little by little until the **** stays out on its own.
That's exacltly why I need to replace the choke cable. That little plastic adjuster no longer works.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:50 AM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,369 Likes on 889 Posts

Considering the temperature in your area, I'd consider running Mobil 1 10w-40 dino oil in the primary. And based on the age of the bike, I'd also consider rebuilding the carb and remove the cover on the air screw to make adjustments. I'd also check the clutch cable adjustment. Even then, holding the clutch in for at least 30 seconds or so as you back out of your garage etc before putting it in gear should help with the clunk when shifing to first gear..

And, I always let the engine warm up enough that the rocker boxes are warm to the touch before riding. That lets the cylinders expand from the heat and allows clamping pressure on the head and base cylinder seals.

Paul

csonni (10-20-2021)

Quick Reply: starting up.....