General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

OMT wheel bearing removal and installation tool tip

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 06:18 AM
Paulflhx
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default OMT wheel bearing removal and installation tool tip

I know there have been many posts on how to install and remove wheel bearings, but I am starting a new thread as there is an important tip everyone should know. First, yes, definitely use a tool dedicated to this pur

pose as opposed to large mallets, screwdrivers etc. The OMT tool pictured here is really great,... except for one thing. As hard as I wrenched, I couldn't get the bearing to go in more than a 1/4 inch or so, and I didn't know why it was'nt moving until I backed out the tool and I saw I had turned the nut down to the end of the threaded part of the bolt.The long installer bolt did not have enough threads on it to pull in my wheel bearing on the primary side, the first bearing installed. I had to place the main body puller, the round piece in the upper right corner of the case, on the opposite side from the bearing I was installing, to take up the space. After that, everything went in like a hot knife through butter. I have not seen any mention of this issue and I did lots of research prior to my purchase. Great tool from OMT. Anyone who works on their bikes should have this.

Last edited by Paulflhx; 10-12-2023 at 06:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dynoking (10-13-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 07:46 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,796 Likes on 3,543 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulflhx
I know there have been many posts on how to install and remove wheel bearings, but I am starting a new thread as there is an important tip everyone should know. First, yes, definitely use a tool dedicated to this pur

pose as opposed to large mallets, screwdrivers etc. The OMT tool pictured here is really great,... except for one thing. As hard as I wrenched, I couldn't get the bearing to go in more than a 1/4 inch or so, and I didn't know why it was'nt moving until I backed out the tool and I saw I had turned the nut down to the end of the threaded part of the bolt.The long installer bolt did not have enough threads on it to pull in my wheel bearing on the primary side, the first bearing installed. I had to place the main body puller, the round piece in the upper right corner of the case, on the opposite side from the bearing I was installing, to take up the space. After that, everything went in like a hot knife through butter. I have not seen any mention of this issue and I did lots of research prior to my purchase. Great tool from OMT. Anyone who works on their bikes should have this.
Would it be possible to get the part # for this kit?

Thanks, Jim

Old 10-12-2023, 09:37 PM
Paulflhx
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Omt hb11

Old 10-13-2023, 12:02 AM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Received 998 Likes on 456 Posts

I prefer the blue case.