General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Rain Gear Review?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:20 AM
fbn ent
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rain Gear Review?

I'm kinda old school.....I have an oilskin duster and a pair of oilskin pants I wear over my leather. Warm and dry for a day and they can be worn at camp.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Scrapin
Intermediate

I have the HD packable rain suit toobut have never worn it. I think I am going to trade it onHighlanders. The problemwithmost of their suits is you have to buythe pants and jacket as a set. I'm a little broad in the shoulders but short in stature (5'-7").Inormally wear anXL top but only needlarge bottoms. TheXLbottoms that came with the XL jacket are way, waytoo longfor me. I suggest you try them on first before you decide. My 02.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DONE! Thanks for the feedback. I looked at rain gear for months. I looked at all brands in all price ranges considering all the features and finally bit the HD bullet and bought the $150 HD High Visibility mainly because it was HIGHLY VISIBLE.

HD High Vis Pros:

LOTS of big reflective **** on the back , arms and legs and its BRIGHT orange
Nomex heat proof panels on legs
rubber *** patch so you don't slide off the seat
All the seams are taped REALLY well
Removable suspenders
Stirrups on pants leg
Mesh Lined jacket so it doesn't stick you
Lycra Spandex hood- fits close so water wont run down your back (
Elastic AND Velcro at wrists and ankles
Leg zippers really long (longer than most) make getting over boots easier
Nice HD reflective emblem on the back (came at a cost)
Works ****in GREAT- 100% dry in pouring rain at highway speeds- absolutely DRY.[/ul]

Cons:

$150 list (but ever body knows how to get 20% off- right?)
NO ventilation- its like bagging the big boy
Its a hot bastard and can make you sweat cause there are no fukin vents
Its about the size of a foot ball (but I bought a compression sack from REI to squish it down)[/ul]

If you don't give a **** about being seen in the rain, the $99 HD packable works great too, and its smaller/ lighter- I bought the OL one on a road trip where we were gonna punch through hours of rain. It worked absolutely great too. You can get a cheaper suit- just depends on what you require.

Stay real dry?
Suspenders?
Stirrups?
Hood to keep rain from running down your back?
Melt proof panels on the legs?
Reflective **** on the back, legs and arms?
Air Vents?
Draw cord above the waist?[/ul]

I looked at rain suits on the internet and in bike shops for MONTHS. As someone here pointed out, Tourmaster makes a nice rain jacket called the sentinel Sentinel Rain Jacket and it has vents out the wazzoo. When I finally saw one, I didn't like it so much. Same with the tour master pants- just not enough reflective **** on them....(Pants w/ Nomex panel $49). The Kneedraggers.com pieces are about the lowest price I could find on both items too. Rigg Nelson's suit looked decent. &nbsp\\;But the HD High Vis met most of the requirements.

So, depending on what you want, what is important to you and what you can live with, you can spend whatever you want from $30 to $300. I wanted visibility (the HD suit wins hands down) and Nomex panels- I gave up air vents- but its a high quality suit, I got 20% off List and&nbsp\\;keeps me very dry!

Last edited by Kbore; 01-22-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:51 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain

I picked up one of the HD rainsuits last weekend. Paid $160 for it (cause it is a 2x) and haven't used it yet. IDK if mine came with a hood or not, but does have the suspensers, stirrups, and is bright freakin orange w/ a big HD logo on the back. I got home and packed it into it's bag, and it sits in my saddlebag for when I need it.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:47 AM
coop57
Tourer

Last year on the wat to Sturgis we hit rain at the Iowa boarder and rode in it all the way to
Des Moines My cheap MC rain suit pants were shreded and I was wet.

Stopped at the HD Dealer and bought just the rain pants $75 as My HD riding jacket (non leather) sheds water just fine. the pants are well made easy on and off and worth every penny dry and warm. I store them in a space bag (roll out the air) and the do not take up much saddle bag space .

Old 07-07-2008, 09:31 PM
XL4me
Cruiser