Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

been to starved rock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 08:26 PM
party on garth
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default been to starved rock?

we're planning a ride to starved rock state park this summer. just wondering if it's as cool as i heard it was.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:00 PM
nscrbug
Cruiser
Default RE: been to starved rock?

There is a lot of nice riding in that area. Route 71 has about 4 miles of nice twisties just east of the park entrance. There's some pretty good eatin' around there too...all are biker friendly. In Utica, check out Duffy's Tavern...in Seneca check out Fat Daddyz and Boondocks...in Marseilles there is Snug Harbor which is right on the IL river with tables outdoors. I live about 75 miles away from Starved Rock...we head out that way at least a half dozen times during the summer. Oh...don't forget to stop at Leatherheads on 178, about a 1/2 mile north of Starved Rock Park. It's a cool little leather shop that caters to bikers.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Ruttrow
Advanced

We go once a year . Nice place and a nice ride

Old 05-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Blue
Advanced

Can someone give a bit more detail on which roads to ride comming from the southeast....Kanakakee area
Thanks

Old 05-04-2006, 03:52 PM
nscrbug
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Blue

Can someone give a bit more detail on which roads to ride comming from the southeast....Kanakakee area
Thanks

Blue...I would take 113 all the way to Route 47...head north on 47 into Morris. In downtown Morris, turn LEFT onto Jefferson Street. Follow Jefferson until you hit the 2nd stop sign (there will be a "No Outlet" sign...turn LEFT and follow this street all the way into Seneca. It's a beautiful 11 mile ride on a nice winding, deserted road called Old Stage Road. Once in Seneca, this road becomes Union Street. Stay on Union St. until you intersect with Main St. (IL-170)...turn LEFT onto Main St and go south until you cross the big bridge that spans the IL river. Turn RIGHT onto the first street just past the bridge and follow this road all the way into Ottawa. At IL-23 (1st Ave.) turn RIGHT and go north until you see the sign for IL-71 (Hitt Street)...turn LEFT and follow 71 all the way into Starved Rock State Park. Enjoy the ride...it's a good one.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Blue
Advanced

Thanks Linda, the plan is to split that trail real soon..
Being from Gary (Black Oak) and now floating around Kankakee,
I've been through and camped at Starved Rock but never spent much time in the area,
so I really dont know the bike routes.
We get up to and around the Bassin stop often.
Gotta daughter up near Big Rock so we blast through Morris often also.
Their is some nice riding down here along the Kankakee river into Indiana and ...
Gene

Old 05-06-2006, 09:10 PM
sporty12
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: party on garth

we're planning a ride to starved rock state park this summer. just wondering if it's as cool as i heard it was.
The riding is cool, just don't expect much from the staff. The state has cut the $#!^ cut out of their budget. They are operating with 1/3 less staff, with only one naturalist on duty at any time. A secretary covers the days off. It's really a shame to let a resource go to waste. If you get time, stop in Marseilles and see the Middle East Conflicts War Memorial. It is organized by a good group of riders.

http://www.ilfreedomrun.org/index1.html

Russ

Old 05-11-2006, 08:58 PM
CLCFred
Intermediate

Stopped by one time so far this year.. Went to Utica to see the rebuilding process.. its always a nice ride out that way. I enjoy it. I got atleast a half dozen times a year