Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trike endorsment

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:13 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trike endorsment

I thought I would start a thread to see which states are now requiring trike endorsments?

I live here in South Carolina and they now require a " D " trike endorsment along with your Class " M " license. Which means you have to take 2 tests to get to ride a trike her in SC.

Info >> http://scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/defaul...ed_Motorcycles

I got a waiver for 10 yrs when this was first put into place and have to carry my paper with me when Im riding.

I find it funny that as far as SC goes my trike is still registered as a motorcycle.

I was told by my buddy who lives in Maryland that if you got a Motorcycle endorsment you can ride a 2 wheel and 3 wheel bikes and trikes. However, if you get just a trike endorsment you cannot ride a 2 wheel bike. Also even though its a trike its still registered as motorcycle

Old 09-13-2009, 03:14 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
I was told by my buddy who lives in Maryland that if you got a Motorcycle endorsment you can ride a 2 wheel and 3 wheel bikes and trikes. However, if you get just a trike endorsment you cannot ride a 2 wheel bike. Also even though its a trike its still registered as motorcycle
Ohio is this way, they also have a endorsement for a Scooter. My title says its registered as a motorcycle. When I think about it they couldn't call it a tricycle, technically it's a motorized cycle so MC fits.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:37 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
This is exactly the way Ohio looks at it.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:09 AM
krw
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
This is exactly the way Ohio looks at it.
IL changed to this also. If you take the test on a trike, you can no longer have the endorsement for 2 wheels. Take it on 2 wheels and you get to ride both.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I know of no special trike endorsement needed down here in Dixieland (MS) and all we have is an "E" motorcycle endorsement. I really don't know of anyone that has ever been ticketed for not even having the endorsement anyway.

I ride with COPS, both local police and state highway patrol. I like to travel with people that can smooth-talk us out of things or shoot somebody if they have to. They have talked us out of more than one ticket, but lucikly...we have not had any gun fights...yet.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:54 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by krw
IL changed to this also. If you take the test on a trike, you can no longer have the endorsement for 2 wheels. Take it on 2 wheels and you get to ride both.

New York is the same Test on two is good for two and three wheels. Test on three only good for three wheels. Was at the dealer Reggie Pinks yesterday was talking about a Lady in the State of Connecticut. No separate road test for a Trike must take the Test on two wheels. To be licensed for a Trike. I think it's wrong what if you have a handicapp that will prohibit you from riding two wheels and taking the road test on two wheels. Guess you can't get a license in the state of CT. to ride a Trike. Thats Wrong.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:55 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

It looks like California is like many other States in that they register Trikes and Sidecar bikes as "motorcycles", which bring to bear all the appropriate equipment and helmet laws. However, you can operate any 3-wheeler with a Class C (automobile) license, but not a 2-wheeler. You can operate any 2-wheeler OR 3-wheeler with an M1 endorsement. Makes sense, since they don't have a 3-wheeler driving test yet. I won't be long though as they become more popular.

From the 2009 California Motorcycle Handbook.
"motorcycles
A motorcycle:
Has a seat or saddle for the rider and is designed to travel on not more than three wheels..."
"• Class M1—You may operate any two-wheel motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized scooter and all vehicles listed under Class M2.
NOTE:The permit and license requirements in this handbook pertain to two-wheel vehicles and are referenced in Section 12804.9 of the California Vehicle Code..."
"...NOTE:
Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three-wheel motorcycle..."

Old 09-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

GA requires a M classification that will allow you to ride both two wheels and three.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:07 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBobs
It looks like California is like many other States in that they register Trikes and Sidecar bikes as "motorcycles", which bring to bear all the appropriate equipment and helmet laws. However, you can operate any 3-wheeler with a Class C (automobile) license, but not a 2-wheeler. You can operate any 2-wheeler OR 3-wheeler with an M1 endorsement. Makes sense, since they don't have a 3-wheeler driving test yet. I won't be long though as they become more popular.

From the 2009 California Motorcycle Handbook.
"motorcycles
A motorcycle:
Has a seat or saddle for the rider and is designed to travel on not more than three wheels..."
"• Class M1—You may operate any two-wheel motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized scooter and all vehicles listed under Class M2.
NOTE:The permit and license requirements in this handbook pertain to two-wheel vehicles and are referenced in Section 12804.9 of the California Vehicle Code..."
"...NOTE: Class C licensees may operate a motorcycle with a side car attached or a three-wheel motorcycle..."
Yeah I remeber when Arnold got into a motorcyle accident a few yars back. He didnt have an endorsement, but he was riding a bike with sidecar and that was legal with the car license

Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 PM
tmigala
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Florida is like some all ready mentioned. You must have a motorcycle endorsement to ride a motorcycle (2 or 3 wheels). If you test on 3 wheels, then a "3 wheel only" restriction is placed on the Motorcycle endorsement. They do have a separate road test for 3 wheels.

Quick Reply: Trike endorsment