Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trailer disconnected from bike at 60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:38 PM
800XC SP
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I appreciate all the feedback.
Running without chains was never an option, I do criss cross them, that's what kept it following straight in my opinion.
I never thought about making the chains so short that they would keep the tongue from touching the ground. I don't think with where the chains attach to the trailer & where they attach to my bike that I can cut them short enough...I'll check it out this weekend.

alkay191;
your right, I was in the the trucking business from when I was 15 to 35 yrs old & I think I fired a guy for that once...

Old 09-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

800...I cannot cut my chains short enough to guarantee they will never drag. If I do that.....it shortens the turn radius to much or gets caught on the ball mounting bolt when you do make a sharp turn. You need enough slack to enable maneuvering the trailer and I have mine cut at the very edge. It's about impossible to do that if your receiver hitch is hidden back up under the bumper and out of sight when you don't need it. Some of these service stations and motels have wicked steep and rough entrances.

I generally expect mine to hit the pavement on occasion and just change them out after a trip. I also use stainless steel chain. I use the heavy-duty (200 pound) snap-links on the chain ends as opposed to s-hooks. All I have to do is replace a couple of feet of chain had from Lowe's, Home Depot...etc. The snap-hooks will also prevent the chains from being jarred out of the safety loops.

Wizard, before you ask....NO...I do not mean those snap-hooks weigh 200-pounds. My wife can't lift that much.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by 1550vt
Wizard, before you ask....NO...I do not mean those snap-hooks weigh 200-pounds. My wife can't lift that much.
She maybe small but I do know she can still kick your..... hummm... well, never mind.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:49 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never pulled a trailer with a bike, so please forgive the ignorance...
but, has anyone tried using cable instead of chain? I'd think it would be easier to tuck up out of the way and avoid dragging and sparking? also, plastic covered safety cable could be longer and run on top of the ball/receiver and not cause damage?

Old 09-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Do you think someone was attempting to steal something? I've pulled a trailer since 98 and never had or saw something like this...just asking.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:33 PM
babyray
Tourer

loose the trailer. motorcycles and trailers dont mix.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:09 AM
wrongway2
Advanced

Glad it turned out safely for you. It's scary for me because I'm using the same ball that you had come loose.

Time for a change I'd say.

Thanks for sharing

Greg

Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 AM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

had the same thing happen to me pulling a trailer with a pickup.using the ball with the bolt in the **** instead of the nut and lock washer...won't use those type of hitch ***** again.....

Old 09-21-2010, 10:32 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

The trailer tounge for her trike came with ball attached. I think I'll put a hitch pin through the bolt now. On my Class three truck tongue for the enclosed trailer, the shop that I bought the trailer from used 150 lbs of torgue and red loctite on the ball set up they made up for me.

Best of luck in the future, ride safe, often and in good company.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:41 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Perhaps to give ya a little more peace, why not have a welder do a couple 'tacks' with a mig at the bottom of the nut. That for sure will never come loose. And still a bit of a grinder will let you remove the nut if ever necessary

Quick Reply: Trailer disconnected from bike at 60 mph