Chain Conversions for Streets

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 06:25 AM
Jedz123
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Chain Conversions for Streets

Hey guys
Has anyone seen where you can get a chain conversion for a Street? Looks like the crush gear assemble will need to be completely replaced. I might buy some parts just to try some things out.
I Have see a couple custom builds with chains... I've gone to the home pages and asked but no response...
Just curious for I'd like to customize my gearing and optimize WHP on my XG-A.
Thanks.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:59 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,679 Likes on 5,201 Posts

Why would anyone go backwards and put a chain on a bike like the Street Rod. Not judging but serious question. There is no advantage to a chain. Not one disadvantage to the HD belt.
200 HP drag bike double chain maybe .

Old 08-05-2017, 06:14 AM
Jedz123
Cruiser

Originally Posted by smitty901
Why would anyone go backwards and put a chain on a bike like the Street Rod. Not judging but serious question. There is no advantage to a chain. Not one disadvantage to the HD belt.
200 HP drag bike double chain maybe .
Far More Gearing Possibilities:
- Gear up for a spirited run, gear down for that long tour. I can swap a front sprocket in about 10 minutes or less. All my past (and current) chain drive bikes have different sprockets for different occasions. Do you really need to have your bike geared down all the time for cruising? The Street-Rod is geared tall, to tall for a revvy 750 if you want my personal opinion...

Less Power Loss:
-Much more efficient power transfer to the wheel, reduction in rotating mass... Why all GP bikes (that win titles) are chain drive...

Familiarity in mantainence ease to repair:
-Chain clean and lube is more frequent however, chain drive is so common if your running a 530 chain if you have an issue you can walk into a local ATV shop and they will set you up to be mobile again... The belt, not so much. Also as stated above I can work a chain drive system very well and am very comfortable and confident to do any work on one when needed.

There is other reasons like wheel adjustment, the ability to run the shortest wheel base as possible, etc. With a belt you keep bringing the rear wheel back, chain it's to far back pop the axle nut and adjuster, push the wheel as close as it will go, take a link or two out and presto you increased how your bike turns in and can pop easier wheelies .

To call going to a chain a backward move really confused me for all true performance and racing machines use them... The belt is archeic if you want my honest opinion. Big heavy pulleys and a belt... Just makes no logical sense to put it on a "performance" model...

Last edited by Jedz123; 08-05-2017 at 06:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
80ci (12-01-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 12:57 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

We can agree to disagree on chains to many years and miles with them. I have put 100K on a belt and 75K on a few before trading. Never had a belt fail me.
There are many reasons we moved away from chains

Old 08-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Jedz123
Cruiser

Originally Posted by smitty901
We can agree to disagree on chains to many years and miles with them. I have put 100K on a belt and 75K on a few before trading. Never had a belt fail me.
There are many reasons we moved away from chains
True belts are relaible in low HP non performance applications. I personally just don't get why they'd run a belt on a "performance" model. Chains definitely are not conducive to big miles, hence why my Connie is shaft drive, makes multi thousand mile trips much easier... One of the many reasons why I bought it.

But for a bike that was designed to be quick, customize and rip up the streets, the belt drive is just so constraining.

We will agree to disagree for sure. Relaible non customizable gearing has it's place for touring machines but on little scoots, I beg to say it's the wrong drive for that application.

Best,

Old 12-01-2017, 10:56 PM
80ci
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i'm still lookin myself SOMEBody has to be makin 'em, ive seen the pictures of the flat track bikes with 'em

Old 12-02-2017, 12:08 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

It is a move backwards. Sports bikes have them because originally chains were best for high horsepower but belts caught up. A 600 HP Boss Hoss has belts.

Chains have much more weight that sucks up power to accelerate.

The other reason that sport bikes stuck with chains is cost. Sport Bikes are the most price sensitive motorcycle because of the age demographic. In the last recession sport bikes sales dropped 70% while big cruisers and touring bikes dropped 20%.

That makes it difficult to absorb the cost of requiring wider swing arms and engine cases to accommodate a belt.

And of course the chain drives win the races. DUH! All the competition uses them so all the losers in the race were using chains.

In terms of power loss chains are the highest, shaft drive next then the most efficient is the belt drive. They are also the least maintenance.

Your machine go ahead and waste your $. But at least know the product your are talking about.

Last edited by lh4x4; 12-02-2017 at 12:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 12:10 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,350 Likes on 6,263 Posts

Your 500/750 sewing machine will not pop a belt. It’s deceased Big brother the VROD had no issues with a belt.

Chains came before belts. So your comment regarding belts being archaic is incorrect.

Belts are available in various lengths and in many bikes, various pulley sizes are available.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:32 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

We will see how belt holds up . Running a sidecar on a 750 Street now. It never hurt the belt on the old FB.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:23 AM
greggreen
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
It is a move backwards.

Chains have much more weight that sucks up power to accelerate.

In terms of power loss chains are the highest, shaft drive next then the most efficient is the belt drive. They are also the least maintenance.

Your machine go ahead and waste your $. But at least know the product your are talking about.

Wrong. Again.

In terms of efficiency chains are #1 and always have been. Then belts, then shaft drive.

Once more you post this same inaccurate information. Please read these articles.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/m...stems-compared.

http://www.custom-choppers-guide.com...-vs-shaft.html

Then, "at least you'll know the product your [sic] are talking about."

Last edited by greggreen; 12-02-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Chain Conversions for Streets