thinking of getting XG750

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 03:01 PM
rideflhr
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default thinking of getting XG750

Hi,
I have been looking for a lighter ride for cruising around the 2 lanes in TN,GA,&NC. I checked out Moto Guzzis and wasnt impressed.They seemed cheaply made and there are no dealers around E.TN. It never occurred to me to check out the Street 750 for some reason.
I think that was a mistake. After some research I think one would be what I am looking for and made in US. I plan on waiting for the '18s to come out.
My question for all you owners is,what kind of purchasing deals were you able to get? How happy are you with your bikes? From what I have been reading people seem to like them. I also found quite a lot of aftermarket accessories on line,even Mustang seats with backrests.
I will be keeping my Deluxe, just putting less miles on it.

Attached Thumbnails thinking of getting XG750-flstn-085.jpg  

Last edited by rideflhr; 08-09-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:02 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

If you looking for a light affordable bike to knock around on a Street Rod would likely be a better option than a Street.
Street Rod has a bit more HP and Torque. Better breaks , More cornering ground clearance. Different rake to front end .
Ride both look at the side by side.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:19 PM
jkiser
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Pick up a used one.. They lose their value very quickly..

Old 08-08-2017, 11:00 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

For some reason the first year of posts on the Street are gone. So the ride report that I posted in 2015 about the Street 750 is gone. Here is a brief repeat.

I got a 750 when they came out. I put a quick 1K on it and had it serviced. Then rode it the 2K ride to the 75th Sturgis Rally at 75 mph and did over 750 miles(861) in one day each way. It was how I celebrated MY 75th, Sturgis 75th and also DQ's.

The Street is an exceptional bike for tracking and handles strong cross winds as good or better than any bike that I ever rode.

I was comfortable the entire trip and the 5,200 miles that I rode it before trading it in on a Street Rod.

I have found that the Street Rod is far less comfortable than the Street. First the ST. Rod pegs were raised about an inch or more and the seat about two inches while moving the rider forward about 2 inches. Great for a little guy but not for any rider over 5'9".

In regards to performance the Street Rod will reach a higher speed but will NOT not beat a Street 750 off of the line. The reason is simple. Since the gearing is the same but the Street Rod has larger diameter tires (where the increased ground clearance of over 2" comes from) it can not pull away from the effectively lower geared Street.

Braking? Give me a brake. The same weight bike with the same tire but one is single disc and the other is dual disc the two will stop in the same distance when operated by a ride skilled in emergency braking. The tire combined with skill is the limiting factor. A single disc can lock the tire up. Single disc takes more lever pull therefore gives more ability to modulate braking up to the limit just before locking up.

My opinion is that the Street 750 is a better bike for casual local riding as as many have found and reported about the uncomfortable short comings of the Street Rod.

One man's opinion but here is my resume to evaluate it. Riding for over 61 years on over 70 motorcycles of 9 different brands for over a half million miles.

Even more importantly I have seat time on both versions. I didn't just sit on one, look at them or parrot opinions that I heard or read others say.

Resell value? I got $400 over Nada trade value when I traded. Also it sold quickly as have the other used ones the dealer took in. I wish I would have kept it. Had the only one with a fork brace. When I saw that the Sportster had the same center line measurement as the Street I made some spacers, cut the ugly boots off and mounted the Sportster brace along with the mirror extenders.

Last edited by lh4x4; 08-08-2017 at 11:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rideflhr (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 12:40 PM
rideflhr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jkiser
Pick up a used one.. They lose their value very quickly..
Everything seems to these days.I like new stuff.besides for $7844 how much can it lose?I spent over 1/2 that after buying my Deluxe and on several bikes b/4 that.I've become used to losing money.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:59 PM
rideflhr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lh4x4
For some reason the first year of posts on the Street are gone. So the ride report that I posted in 2015 about the Street 750 is gone. Here is a brief repeat.

I got a 750 when they came out. I put a quick 1K on it and had it serviced. Then rode it the 2K ride to the 75th Sturgis Rally at 75 mph and did over 750 miles(861) in one day each way. It was how I celebrated MY 75th, Sturgis 75th and also DQ's.

The Street is an exceptional bike for tracking and handles strong cross winds as good or better than any bike that I ever rode.

I was comfortable the entire trip and the 5,200 miles that I rode it before trading it in on a Street Rod.

I have found that the Street Rod is far less comfortable than the Street. First the ST. Rod pegs were raised about an inch or more and the seat about two inches while moving the rider forward about 2 inches. Great for a little guy but not for any rider over 5'9".

In regards to performance the Street Rod will reach a higher speed but will NOT not beat a Street 750 off of the line. The reason is simple. Since the gearing is the same but the Street Rod has larger diameter tires (where the increased ground clearance of over 2" comes from) it can not pull away from the effectively lower geared Street.

Braking? Give me a brake. The same weight bike with the same tire but one is single disc and the other is dual disc the two will stop in the same distance when operated by a ride skilled in emergency braking. The tire combined with skill is the limiting factor. A single disc can lock the tire up. Single disc takes more lever pull therefore gives more ability to modulate braking up to the limit just before locking up.

My opinion is that the Street 750 is a better bike for casual local riding as as many have found and reported about the uncomfortable short comings of the Street Rod.

One man's opinion but here is my resume to evaluate it. Riding for over 61 years on over 70 motorcycles of 9 different brands for over a half million miles.

Even more importantly I have seat time on both versions. I didn't just sit on one, look at them or parrot opinions that I heard or read others say.

Resell value? I got $400 over Nada trade value when I traded. Also it sold quickly as have the other used ones the dealer took in. I wish I would have kept it. Had the only one with a fork brace. When I saw that the Sportster had the same center line measurement as the Street I made some spacers, cut the ugly boots off and mounted the Sportster brace along with the mirror extenders.
Thnx for the well written and informative reply.I too have been around bikes for a long time.I bought my 1st HD in'71,an XlCH. I've owned Shovels,Evos &Twin Cams since.I have zero complaints about quality and have had very few problems that I didnt cause.I have read extensively about the Streets recently and agree with you. I will be getting a "18 Street 750.I like the look and comfort better than the Rod. I ride around 7 hours on an average day. I ride the 2 lane scenic byways around E.TN,N.GA,and W.NC. I'd like to not put all my miles on my Deluxe. Thanx again.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:23 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

I have a Street XG750. Purchased it with 323 miles on it. You could say I all but stole it.
It will serve the purpose I purchased it for. Would I recommend it with out qualifying the recommendation no.
I have put about 400 miles on it messing around , it is not my only bike.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:53 PM
rideflhr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by smitty901
I have a Street XG750. Purchased it with 323 miles on it. You could say I all but stole it.
It will serve the purpose I purchased it for. Would I recommend it with out qualifying the recommendation no.
I have put about 400 miles on it messing around , it is not my only bike.
What year and how much was the almost crime? Please add any qualifiers that come to mind. This is the info I am hoping to get from owners.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:14 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rideflhr
What year and how much was the almost crime? Please add any qualifiers that come to mind. This is the info I am hoping to get from owners.
2015, And the deal was so good I was ask not to say. The Dealership owner knew I had plans to pick something up for my 19 Year old Granddaughter to get started on some time. They had taken it and another larger bike in trade for a touring bike The girl that had it had some issues that prevented her for riding her own.
One issue with the 2015 is the rear brake pedal it has to be pushed way down to function . ( They corrected that in the 2016) I plan to alter that.
So far I have added the saddle bags and LEDS Turn signal bulbs. It came with a windshield that surprised me it works.
Install a necessary set of mirror extensions that raised the up a bit and out some .
The smallest bike I have ridden in years is my 1996 FB. I normally ride a touring bike. It took a few miles to get settled in with it. It is not a racers 750. It will run and 6th gear from around 35 all the way to 100 is not problem. I have not found top speed yet.
The 8,000 Rpm engine takes some getting use to. Service is easy one plug dump, change oil filer easy to get to it fill it back up ride.
I would recommend looking for a 2016 mainly for the brake change.

Last edited by smitty901; 08-10-2017 at 08:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rideflhr (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:45 AM
rideflhr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by smitty901
2015, And the deal was so good I was ask not to say. The Dealership owner knew I had plans to pick something up for my 19 Year old Granddaughter to get started on some time. They had taken it and another larger bike in trade for a touring bike The girl that had it had some issues that prevented her for riding her own.
One issue with the 2015 is the rear brake pedal it has to be pushed way down to function . ( They corrected that in the 2016) I plan to alter that.
So far I have added the saddle bags and LEDS Turn signal bulbs. It came with a windshield that surprised me it works.
Install a necessary set of mirror extensions that raised the up a bit and out some .
The smallest bike I have ridden in years is my 1996 FB. I normally ride a touring bike. It took a few miles to get settled in with it. It is not a racers 750. It will run and 6th gear from around 35 all the way to 100 is not problem. I have not found top speed yet.
The 8,000 Rpm engine takes some getting use to. Service is easy one plug dump, change oil filer easy to get to it fill it back up ride.
I would recommend looking for a 2016 mainly for the brake change.
Thanx.I appreciate the info.I am going to the dealer,if it ever stops raining and ride one.I'll wait the few weeks and buy an '18.Hopefully any little problems will be fixed on '18,s. I am getting excited about getting one.

Quick Reply: thinking of getting XG750