Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Random shut down?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 11:40 AM
LN2_Casey
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Random shut down?

So, bottom line up front, my bike stalls when riding, and I don't know why! Harley Street, XG500, 2015 year model, 6300miles.

Background: I moved via Navy from Southern California to Greece this last few months. I shipped my bike from LA on 6 August, and didn't see her again until 5 October. Shipping required the bike be at low gas (I think I had about a 1/3rd) because, IDK, reasons. I refueled as soon as I got her, I'm pretty certain. When she arrived, I almost immediately went off to London for a week, so I didn't really ride her again until the 15th.

Then, this last Saturday, while riding she stalled. Just suddenly stopped running. Throttle did nothing. I pulled to the side, restarted, and continued on. And, again, stalled. This happened off and on for a few more miles, with no indicating light at all. I eventually couldn't start at all, and waited until a friend arrived to assist me in getting gas, as I thought maybe she was low and I wanted to rule that out. I refueled, and then she drove fine to the restaurant I went to. On the way home, I refueled all the way to full (in hindsight, I honestly don't know why she'd be anywhere close to empty, since I had filled up not 30 miles previous), and I still had issues up until my house.

Next day, I let her idle in my garage area, and she ran fine. No stutters, or stalls, or anything. Nothing dripping, no odd smoke. She ran for a number of minutes, and then I went back inside thinking it may have been air bubbles in the line or something.

Drove to work the next day, no issues. Now, today, it happened again while I was riding to Chania, and even more while riding back. I stopped for a while half way home, to see if it was heat related, and after my 1/2 hour-ish wait in a safe location, I didn't stall again for about 3 miles, vice the every 1/4 mile it had been.

What makes me most upset is that this stupid bike waited until I was all the way in GREECE before it had this issue! I was riding in the heat of summer in the Mojave desert for two years, nothing, and now some mild 70 degree weather is stalling it out! Why couldn't this have happened when I could just take her to a mechanic who spoke English and is familiar with US spec bikes?

Old 10-31-2018, 08:16 PM
Clavinavi
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello LN2 Casey!

God Bless you for your service. Check to see if the recall on the fuel pump has been done. Sounds like it could be the fuel pump. 2015’s had a recall.

Weshicatwelo!

Old 11-01-2018, 12:27 AM
LN2_Casey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Clavinavi
Hello LN2 Casey!

God Bless you for your service. Check to see if the recall on the fuel pump has been done. Sounds like it could be the fuel pump. 2015’s had a recall.

Weshicatwelo!
Thank you!

But I checked HD, and it says my bike has already had this recall fixed. I'm the 2nd owner, and I recall the previous stating that they'd fixed the recalls on the bike, though I don't think they specifically mentioned the fuel pump.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:55 AM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Did you notice that when the bike stalls if you still have lights and gauges? Might check and see if you have a loose ground wire.
Im sure that from Clavinavi's post that your checking fuel pump and filter.
Got to say wish I was their to help, when I wasn't riding to see the country that is.

Thanks for your service from one old swabby to another. Hope you get it fixed.

KenK

Old 06-01-2019, 09:47 PM
dean148802
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LN2,

I think i may be having the same issue with my 2015 Street Bob. Were you ever able to solve this problem?

V/R
LN2 Tisdale

Old 06-01-2019, 11:01 PM
LN2_Casey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dean148802
LN2,

I think i may be having the same issue with my 2015 Street Bob. Were you ever able to solve this problem?

V/R
LN2 Tisdale
Fellow Ellen,

I took my bike down to a bike shop here, and he ended up doing a number of things. One of which—which we both think was the issue—was that the rubber intake gasket was cracked. It was theorizes that when the bike heated up enough, it would expand just enough to cause it to shut down.

It was replaced and no issues since. Hope that helps!

Old 06-02-2019, 12:04 AM
dean148802
6th Gear

I will have to check it. I planned on taking apart the intake to see if i can diagnose any issues. Thank you.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:48 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,752 Likes on 6,896 Posts

OP thank you for your service.

Have you checked your battery connections? One loose cable will cause a lot of headaches.

Good luck

Old 06-10-2019, 09:32 PM
03fxdxHD
Stage II
Default Xg500

My girlfriend is having trouble with her street 500. It’s a lot like the above mentioned but I did notice that the fuel pump usually primes when you turn the key off and back on and when hers is shutting off while riding it sometimes doesn’t turn the fuel pump back on. I’ve ohmed all the ignition wires to the killswitch, replaced all the relays on the bike. It’s still having the same problem. Can’t find a short anywhere and checked grounds. Absolutely can not find a problem. It will shut off. Start back up. And then not start at all. Give it some time and it will start to work. Any help is very much appreciated!

Old 06-27-2019, 07:03 PM
chesnutlane
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran into the same issues, battery was 2 years old and failed the load test. Replaced it problem solved. On a side note if you are using an aftermarket tender make sure its for the newer AGM / LITHIUM style batteries, The old style tender for wet batteries would only bring it up to around 80% even though the dummy light said it was 100%.

Quick Reply: Random shut down?