Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT Help Desparately Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 11:53 AM
BTD
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SERT Help Desparately Needed

Trying to load custom map into 07 RKC and here's what I'm doing and getting.

1. Tuning advanced mode load file
2. Click on program ECM
3. Turn on bike/run switch on
4. Get ECM info-works fine showsCal IDas
159PZ003.
5. Hit program ECM and it does it's thing-takes a couple of minutes and then says something like programming successful.
6. File information for new file says
159PZ003!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've done this several times trying different files and the SERT seems to do everything correctly EXCEPT loading the new file. What really pi***s me off is I have been trying different maps and getting the same results presumably because I never noticed I wasn't successfully loading the new maps. Appreciate any suggestions/help you experts can offer. $400 + bucks for a dongle that doesn't do anything is the pits.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:05 PM
07heritage
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SERT Help Desparately Needed

Hi BTD,

There are plenty of good folks here who can help ya with this stuff, but you gotta provide a little more info.

1) What are you loading the file with (laptop, desktop pc, etc.)?
2) What kind of OS is on the computer?
3) What rev. CD (H, J, etc.)?
4) How are you connected to the ECM (serial, usb, etc.)?
5) Is your serial/usb port set to the recommended parameters per the sert instructions?
6) Any possibility the sert has been previously used on another bike?
7) Have you tried a simple data capture? Does that work?

You're obviously communicating with the ECM since you're getting info back from it, but you could have an issue with either the port's parameters or the serial/usb adapter (assuming you're using one ???).

Windows Vista caused problems for me similar to what you're experiencing. If I ever get time to look at it I'll try to figure out how to deal with Vista, but for the time being I just used another pc with an XP os.

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2007, 01:27 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

First off, if whomever "modified" the original 159PZ003 map to make it a "custom" map BUT didn't give it a new name, but instead left it "titled" or "named" 159PZ003.........how are you going to know the difference between the 2 when you flash?

If both maps are named the same, I would open the modified one up on my PC and rename it to something like..."modified (insert description)"......and reflash. I personally think it is flashing to the new map, but someone may have left it with the same "name".[&:]

Old 04-27-2007, 02:27 PM
BTD
Cruiser

Thanks for the help. I'm using a Dell laptop with XP professional and a Belkin USB/serial cable. The system is "connecting" on Com port 4 (the only other option is 3, both 1 and two are "dimmed out"). I believe the software is Rev J-the "build date" on the tuning software is 6/16/06. I don't think there's any chance the SERT has been previously used. I bought if from my servicing dealer and when the "installed" it, they loaded the 1`59 pzxxxx file. UltraKla$$ic, the file names are definately different. Wondering if you actually need to start the bike and let it run for new map to show??? What I am doing is flashing, turning ignition off, waiting for a few minutes and then turning ignition back on and doing a read ECM which shows no change in files. Maybe somehow I need to get to com port 1 or 2???? If anyone knows if thats a good idea, appreciate it if you could help me with instructions on how to "force" the SERT to com port 1 or 2. Many thanks for the help.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:49 PM
BTD
Cruiser

More info. It appears SERT is working as intended and the problem might be in the naming/content of my modified MAPS. I randomly tried one of the other HD MAPS like
141NR101-A0.MT6 and it showed up as the new map (I didn't flash it). I appears the SERT is not recognizing my modified MAPS and is just reverting to the original 159pzxxx. The map I am trying to load is namedBTD.MT6 which one of the board members was kind enough to make for me. I cut and pasted it into my tuning files and it shows it is about 48 kb which seems consistent with the factory maps. Any chance the file names all need to be the same number of characters to be recognized by the SERT. Any suggestions?? I have 4 "custom" maps people have been kind enough to share and it seems like none of them will load but it appears any of the OEM Maps that came with the SERT would load as intended. Thanks for any insight.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:25 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend you click on the HELP tab at top of window in Tuning Mode then select Contents.

From those files:

Saving Comments and Version Information
Saving Comments:

Tuning Mode allows saving text comments along with your tuning file.
To edit or change a file’s comments, select from the Edit- Edit File Comments menu:
This will bring up the Comments form where you may enter up to 512 characters of descriptive information.

Saving Individual Item Comments:
Tuning Mode v4.0 allows saving individual text comments for each table and constant in the tuning file.

You must press Save Changes in order to make the new text permanent. Text entered beyond the 512 character limit will be truncated and not saved.
TIP: Use the Windows Control-C and Control-V keyboard commands to cut and paste comment text to other Windows applications.

Entering the Program Part Number:
Tuning Mode always saves a program Part Number in the PCM when it is programmed.

To assign this number, select from the Edit- Edit Part Number menu:The last 3 digits of this number can be edited by the user and will be read-out by the Scan Tool software. This can be used as an aid to identifying which version of code is programmed into the ECM.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-27-2007, 08:55 PM
BTD
Cruiser

I'll give it a try-many thanks!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2007, 09:06 PM
07heritage
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again, BTD

It sounds like you have everything set up as it should be. I don't think the com1 or com2 would make any difference (mine uses com4). From what you're saying it sounds like you just have a corrupt file. The only way to find out for certain would be to load one of the "canned" maps from the CD. If that works it will rule out everything else but the file.

Assuming your dealer loaded a file from the cd, I would try to reload the same file. If that appeared to work, I'd try a different (as close as possible) file. If sucessful, then reload the original file your dealer installed and see if you can get the modded file fixed. I've seen hundreds of files get corrupted during up/downloading (as in e-mail attachments and file server uploads -- not during the process of installation on an ECM).

As far as starting the bike up, and/or turning the ignition off/on you shouldn't need to do any of that. During the process of programming the ECM the firmware reboots itself (you should hear the fuel pump as you do every time you start your bike).

At this point I'd try a different file. Just my 2 cents' worth!

'07

Old 04-27-2007, 10:56 PM
BTD
Cruiser

07 Heritage, thanks for your help. The crux of my situation seems to be that I can successfully load any/all of the OEM maps on the tuning file. I have on 07 RKC and if I tried to load an OEM MAP for a sportster, it looks like it would do that. With any of the "custom" maps, ***.MT6, it reverts to the stock MAP 159....MP6. When I load the file for a custom map, the new configurations are there and the map file shows BTD.MT6 but when I try to flash with the custom map, it reverts to HD MAP 159..MP6. I even tried to change the values for stock map 159... and saved it with like an 01 extension and no joy. The custom maps were e-mailed to me and I copied/pasted them into my tuning files directory. They are definately there and load up into the tuning file but I can't flash them. Any additional thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:43 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

PM Shovelhead Bob.He is the moderator of this section and an extremely knowledgable chap. He'll figger it out.

He eats SERTS for breakfast and farts maps for lunch.[sm=smarty.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Quick Reply: SERT Help Desparately Needed