Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How long to Dyno Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Bujin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long to Dyno Tune?

I have an 05 FLHRI and put on the SE air filter and Thunderheader slipons,, Took it into the harley shop and asked for an estimate on dynotuning it. The service manager said he couldn't give me an estimate, minimum would be 2 hours and they have had bikes on the dyno for over 18 hours. Come on now,, How long should it really take? How long has it taken for your dyno work? I'd be pretty pissed if I went to pick up my bike and they charged me 1368 dollars for dyno time. (76.00 X 18 hours)

Old 09-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: How long to Dyno Tune?

Dyno time is expensive. 2 hrs would be a good guess for your setup but when you get into things where they don't have an exact download then they have to spend time modifying one. I've seen it take all day to get a bike lined out correctly.

Terry

Old 10-03-2005, 02:53 PM
06DEUCE
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just had mine dyno tuned with the hd race tuner. they scheduled 1 guy for 8 hrs. but they got it dialed in with only 2 runs on the dyno.

Old 10-04-2005, 02:24 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts

It all depends on how precise the operator is on the dyno. If he's good , he can get you very close in 2-4 pulls. If he doesn't know what he's doing, he'll do 2 runs and tell you that you have a custom map, I don't think it's optomized at all with only 1-2 pulls. You may also end up with a canned map and a big bill for a "custom" map. It has to be sniffed to be done properly then another calibration made and re dynoed, so as you can see 2 + pulls would be needed to do a true custom map.IMO

Old 10-06-2005, 03:48 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Bujin,

If you don't add a Power Commander or a SE Race tuner they can't do a custom dyno tune for you, you will need one of those for the mapping, also Bill and Terry gave you good info, I will add that what Bill was saying about the canned map or base map is that you can get a map matching or close to your added equipment, then they dyno tune it and make fuel adjustments based on the AFR or air fuel ratio, if lean they add fuel if rich they reduce the fuel, this should be able to be done in a couple of hours with a good tech using a base map. It can take 7 or 8 hours if the tech starts from scratch with no base map, most tuners don't start from scratch. Like Bill said a lot of them use a base map and really don't tune it correctly, what you are looking for is the correct AFR numbers thru all the ranges of rpm and a good tuner can adjust it correctly for optimum performance and rideablilty.

One other option is to install a Power Commander or Race Tuner install the base map, do a base dyno run and look at the AFR figures to see if you are too lean or too rich anywhere, the best tuning is for sure the custom map, but for what you have done, a base map could be o-k.

Old 10-07-2005, 03:06 AM
Ironspirit
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sold my 99 Fat Boy and bought an 05 RK Classic. Had Brain at "My Gargare" in Ventura do a "Dave Macky MegaSphere" and he Dynoed for approx 2 hrs. and got me 101 hp and 104 lbs torque. I have hung out at a couple of shops and seen 45 minutes and then up to 2.5 hours. A Power Commander definately helps.