Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PC III USB EX - The EPA has won

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 12:52 AM
tunafred
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PC III USB EX - The EPA has won

I wish I had found this forum before I shelled out the $$ for the EX. I "m Going to try a Fuelpak.
07FLHX V&H propipe, SE air intake. Can't get rid of a detonation problem. Even the DJ tuning center did not help. FTEPA.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:32 PM
LeadDoggy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With O2 sensors, do we really need to be adjusting with a PC III EX when the stock HD ECU keeps air/fuel at 14.7

Can you adjust ignition timing with the said PC III EX?

Old 08-18-2007, 09:19 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jmetro

after changing components, the bike needs to be ridden for 100-150 miles before the ecm really finishes tuning in the lower throttle settings. an 06 dyna or 07 any model, cannot be diagnosed as faulty untill there is that many miles on the bike.
It sounds like you're saying the Delphi ECM will tune itself in the closed-loop area and keep those changes after powering off. I agree that, within reason (i.e. not too radical a change in intake/exhaust), the stock ECM will tune as necessary in the closed-loop area. It would highly surprise me if the ECM kept the offsets between sessions. It would be nice if it did, but I don't think it does. I believe it has to do the "learning" anew with every re-start of the engine.

Do you know authoritatively just how this is actually handled? Or is this just speculation on your part?

Old 08-18-2007, 09:46 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dynaglider

What I still want to know is how effective the Harley system is at keeping the air/fuel mix near the 14.7 ideal. I've understood that it only trims fuel, because it is a system dedicated to reducing emmissions and, as a nice side effect, maximizing fuel economy. This says to me that you can be running lean and the EFI with O2 sensors will not be able to add fuel. You will run lean, with all of the problems that can bring.

But I haven't found anyone who can confirm one way or the other. Perhaps the EFI in the 2007 models can add fuel to bring a lean condition back to the ideal. Certainly no one claimed that was true for the 2006 Dynas.
Since there's an ECM error code for O2 sensor being too lean it stands to reason that it would be thrown when the ECM cannot add enough fuel to achieve the 14.7 AFR.

Which models prior to '07 had one or more O2 sensors? Any that were so equipped must certainly have had the capability to regulate injector duty cycle in either direction as necessary.