Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PC III usb - California

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:24 AM
bigdeek
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PC III usb - California

Ran a search, but found nothing. Anyone know why dynojet has an EX version of their Power Commander III usb just for us in the republik of California? I am going through their web site and the only difference I can see is that it prevents you from making any adjustments between 0 and 4500 rpm. What is that all about?

Anyone from Cali just using the normal 813-511 and not the 813-511EX? I'm going to call dynojet, but i'm worried about the "yes, if you like if cali, you must buy the ex version" and that's it type of response.

later.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:18 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts
Default RE: PC III usb - California

Can't give the specifics, but the EX is intended to conform to California's more rigid EPA standards as I understood it. I myself got the PC III USB after doing the research and asking some questions, and it's been working great for me. The only problem may come when they start emissions testing, but so far that appears to be a ways off.

Good luck.
Roger

Old 08-12-2007, 11:51 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Probably has to do with the fact that a CA bike has a catylitic converetor on it.
Put too much fuel through one of them and you can easilydestroy it.
Not to mention if you think the 07's and 08's run hot now.
You shouldsee what too much fuel can dowith a catylitic convertor.
Gives a whole new meaning to the term "glow in the dark".

Old 08-12-2007, 03:37 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

The 07 Ca. bikes don't have catalytics. Just an evap canister.
The EX version has some limited tuning capeabilities and uses the oxygen sensors. The standard version eliminates the sensors.

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...formation.aspx

Old 08-12-2007, 05:41 PM
bigdeek
Advanced

So, it seems I can just go with the normal 813-511 and just cap off the oxy sensors as normal? I'm going to throw on sampson true duals and a k&n. I was just hoping that HD didn't put on a separate efi unit on the cali models that would prevent the use of the normal 813-511 PC III.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:23 AM
Boomshaw
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can purchase and run the "race only" PC3usb and it will work just like the old ones with all of the adjustments enabled. If you want to "willingly" comply with EPA standards...then buy the EX version and feel warm and fuzzy about doing your part. Dynojet clarified that the will sell either one but the only one legal to get caught with on the street is the EX. Remember, it has been against the law technically to use a PC for many, many years. Its just that nobody really cared until recently whether you did or not. To run the EX version though is about the same as running the canned EPA approved Screaming Eagle downloads from your dealer. Won't be any better than that. They are both EPA approved.

Dynojet probably got pressure from the EPA that they better be putting out some kind of legal device to be claiming the sales profits that they do. So...they start producing something legal and all looks good again for awhile!

Old 08-14-2007, 02:43 AM
suspect
Cruiser

[quote]ORIGINAL: nvsteve

The 07 Ca. bikes don't have catalytics. Just an evap canister.
The EX version has some limited tuning capeabilities and uses the oxygen sensors. The standard version eliminates the sensors.

actually yes cali bikes have cats. they are built in to one of your exhaust pipes.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:42 AM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The way I see it.... if Californian politicians were serious about reducing emissions, they wouldn't be letting 10's of thousands of illegals stay in the state! Bugger their laws, do what you want!

DeanO

ORIGINAL: bigdeek

Ran a search, but found nothing. Anyone know why dynojet has an EX version of their Power Commander III usb just for us in the republik of California? I am going through their web site and the only difference I can see is that it prevents you from making any adjustments between 0 and 4500 rpm. What is that all about?

Anyone from Cali just using the normal 813-511 and not the 813-511EX? I'm going to call dynojet, but i'm worried about the "yes, if you like if cali, you must buy the ex version" and that's it type of response.

later.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Boomshaw
Advanced

BINGO Dmac! That would be a good start! As well as not making us stop every hundred yards at a light and sit there for five minutes!

Old 08-16-2007, 10:08 PM
bigdeek
Advanced

Yeah, dmac hit it. I was on the phone with dynojet and they weren't even that thrilled about selling me one. Didn't come out and say it, but you could just hear it in the guys voice. Spoke with fuelmoto and they just about echod the same thing. Thank goodness. I just bought the normal pciii. By the way, fuelmoto is tops. He has maps for everything whereas dyno has about 12 for the softails at this point for the 07.

now waiting for the pciii and my samson long longtails.

later.