Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

FI irrational idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 06:41 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,192 Likes on 653 Posts

200 hard miles on some hot roads and some occasional traffic, idling much much better now. I will vent lower later if it gets messy.
Thanks for all the great help!
This has been quite frustrating for a couple years.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:13 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 281 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood
I've determined it's blowby getting into the sensors, got some hose and extended the head vents to the bottom of the air filter, ran better today. I'll do a more permanent fix when I get home.
Thanks for all the help.
What sensors do you think are being affected? The only exposed sensor in the TB is the IAT sensor which I doubt is causing your issue. Other responses seem to imply that there is a mass airflow sensor which does not exist in the HD world. Yes, it's good to get the blowby out of the TB , but I think your issue lies elsewhere. Have you made sure the butterfly shaft is not cracked/ broken?

Old 07-25-2017, 09:25 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,685 Likes on 3,920 Posts

06 flhtci
On 1200 miles since the last week touring Va. bike has gone through the gamut, first was dying when stopping from highway speeds, blasted the idle air control valve with carb cleaner, seemed better. But still sometimes get lower idle after highway speed, 5-600 rpms. Totally shut off today going down a hill on the Blue Ridge Parkway, cycled thumb switch and all was well. Sometimes while starting I seem to get a violent kickback while hot starting. Seems like I'm forgetting another issue, I'll bring it to you when I remember.
When I clean the IACV with carb cleaner the bike seems to run better, but within a day another idle issue pops up.
My high flow air cleaner dumps the crank vent into the throttle body, I'm blaming the oil for messing with the idle air control valve.
I pulled the crank position sensor today, it was clean and no cracks.
Other than those occasional issues the bike runs great.
Any suggestions?
Check the battery after a full 24-hour charge and remove for a load test. Usually, kickbacks are caused by low amps and worn out battery. Low rpm would mean low voltage for electronics.

Do not spray any cleaner in there. No matter what it is, if it's strong enough to dissolve crud, it will wash it up past the o-ring in the servo control motor and then when dries, it makes matter worst. It does the same for throttle position sensor.

Shine a light down that IAC passage way and you will see it's huge. Just a touch on the pintle valve and a spray on a cotton cloth to wipe area around the butterfly and where it sits.

With the air filter off, he on and off will tell you the IAC is ok. It will close at key off, key on will jump it out and position for last idle. All it is is additional air besides the butterfly lock setting when the throttle is shut. That butterfly is a factory set with a flow meter.

If opening the throttle fixes it, it could be you got some bad gas with some moisture in it. However, ethanol gas usually fixes that in about 3-4 tanks full.

Idle circuit is very sensitive . Never have figured out why but starting in gear with mine cause it to jump like most any Harley and it will confuse idle but mine will be 200 or so too high for a few miles of stops or a off/on restart

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-25-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:36 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jbarr1
What sensors do you think are being affected? The only exposed sensor in the TB is the IAT sensor which I doubt is causing your issue. Other responses seem to imply that there is a mass airflow sensor which does not exist in the HD world. Yes, it's good to get the blowby out of the TB , but I think your issue lies elsewhere. Have you made sure the butterfly shaft is not cracked/ broken?
Idle Air Control Valve is getting the blame. Sits on top of the throttle body.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:45 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Check the battery after a full 24-hour charge and remove for a load test. Usually, kickbacks are caused by low amps and worn out battery. Low rpm would mean low voltage for electronics.

Do not spray any cleaner in there. No matter what it is, if it's strong enough to dissolve crud, it will wash it up past the o-ring in the servo control motor and then when dries, it makes matter worst. It does the same for throttle position sensor.

Shine a light down that IAC passage way and you will see it's huge. Just a touch on the pintle valve and a spray on a cotton cloth to wipe area around the butterfly and where it sits.

With the air filter off, he on and off will tell you the IAC is ok. It will close at key off, key on will jump it out and position for last idle. All it is is additional air besides the butterfly lock setting when the throttle is shut. That butterfly is a factory set with a flow meter.

If opening the throttle fixes it, it could be you got some bad gas with some moisture in it. However, ethanol gas usually fixes that in about 3-4 tanks full.

Idle circuit is very sensitive . Never have figured out why but starting in gear with mine cause it to jump like most any Harley and it will confuse idle but mine will be 200 or so too high for a few miles of stops or a off/on restart
The kickback stopped when I cleaned the IACV with the wrong spray.
I'm thinking I should just replace the IACV since I have abused it.
Not understanding what the ethanol gas fixes? Gas comes in after the IACV?

Old 07-26-2017, 09:47 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,685 Likes on 3,920 Posts

The kickback stopped when I cleaned the IACV with the wrong spray.
I'm thinking I should just replace the IACV since I have abused it.
Not understanding what the ? Gas comes in after the IACV?
Kick back is a sure sign quite often of a weak battery down in amp and not strong enough to power thru that first crank that cleans out vapors in the cylinder that tend to explode at the wrong time in the hot motor starting up.

If you read my post above, I was referring to maybe you got a little water in a tank of gas. So called Gas Dry in a bottle is nothing but straight ethanol. 10% ethanol gas will do the same thing. Just takes a while since it cannot absorb but so much

Do the battery. You will know if you hurt the IAC in a week or so. Any spray is wrong for it.

Nothing but a little-filtered air goes thru the IAC valve. It's just a passage around the butterfly that the ECM opens up to allow enough air to maintain 1000 or so idle rpm.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-26-2017 at 09:56 PM.