Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

No Spark on rear cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 02:48 AM
Ireland
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
decoy hand?
Lol. Second hand

Old 02-02-2019, 10:17 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Ireland

Lol. Second hand
Not sure about programming, maybe someone else has an answer about that. The S&S I bought definitely had to be programmed which added to the cost of throwing good money at my no fire problem. The original ECM wasn't throwing any codes, but the S&S did and that's when I started wasting more money and time chasing them.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:26 PM
Ireland
Advanced

Well I don’t believe it. Put on second hand ecm got from e bay for 30 euro and bang off she went fired up straight away. so after new cam and crank sensor new coil and leads and then 30 euro sorts it. Thanks everyone for all the advice.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ireland:
Lakerat (02-08-2019), Max Headflow (02-08-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 01:24 AM
Ireland
Advanced
Default Irish Harley man in trouble

Well that didn’t go to well. Sure enough she fired up ok. When I took it for a spin the engine ligh started flashing and she cut out she started again but continued to cut out. I just about got it home and that’s where it stands now. It must be why the ecm was second hand must have been bad. At least I got to hear it run after nearly a year. Has anyone got a spare ecm they migh sell or any ideas to sort this mess.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:42 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Well that didn’t go to well. Sure enough she fired up ok. When I took it for a spin the engine ligh started flashing and she cut out she started again but continued to cut out. I just about got it home and that’s where it stands now. It must be why the ecm was second hand must have been bad. At least I got to hear it run after nearly a year. Has anyone got a spare ecm they migh sell or any ideas to sort this mess.
Well, sorry to hear that.
Something to think about....See how much crap you have gone through diagnosing your problem, even with all the suggestions offered by knowledgeable forum members? How much more time and money are you willing to spend chasing down the problem? I often ride my bikes at least a half day's ride away from my home and my trailer to go fetch it. As you can see, there are many possible "little" things that can go wrong with the MM EFI system including everything from failed sensors to bad connections within the wiring harness. Will you be prepared to diagnose/replace these problems out on the road?
Well....after going through what I did in the comfort of my well equipped shop and chasing down a lot of parts that had to be ordered from the Harley dealership, (that $500+ S&S replacement ECM really hurt) I made the decision to simplify things by converting to a carburetor and a nose cone ignition system. I feel much more comfortable now that I have a much better chance of getting my Harley back home without a ride on a trailer.
Your call.

Last edited by Lakerat; 03-26-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:21 AM
Ireland
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lakerat
Well, sorry to hear that.
Something to think about....See how much crap you have gone through diagnosing your problem, even with all the suggestions offered by knowledgeable forum members? How much more time and money are you willing to spend chasing down the problem? I often ride my bikes at least a half day's ride away from my home and my trailer to go fetch it. As you can see, there are many possible "little" things that can go wrong with the MM EFI system including everything from failed sensors to bad connections within the wiring harness. Will you be prepared to diagnose/replace these problems out on the road?
Well....after going through what I did in the comfort of my well equipped shop and chasing down a lot of parts that had to be ordered from the Harley dealership, (that $500+ S&S replacement ECM really hurt) I made the decision to simplify things by converting to a carburetor and a nose cone ignition system. I feel much more comfortable now that I have a much better chance of getting my Harley back home without a ride on a trailer.
Your call.

Thanks lads for all all the help. The bike has been going great since never missed a beat thanks.

Old 10-11-2020, 12:59 PM
Ireland
Advanced

Thanks lads for all all the help. The bike has been going great since never missed a beat thanks.

She is still running great have put up 3000 miles since.

Old 10-11-2020, 01:00 PM
Ireland
Advanced

She is still running great have put up 3000 miles since.

Have since stripped this one down and converted to bagger

Old 10-11-2020, 01:02 PM
Ireland
Advanced

Have since stripped this one down and converted to bagger