Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

No Spark on rear cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:09 PM
Ireland
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No Spark on rear cylinder

hi all new to this
had a question, I have a 1998 harley flhtci 1340 with 8000 miles. She stopped sparking rear cylinder and I replace the dual fire coil with a stock part and still no. Spark, it's not the coil, plugs or leads. Could it be cam sensor and is there a way to test this before I waste more money as with the new coil.

Your help appreciated

Old 07-26-2018, 12:16 PM
Ireland
Advanced

Sorry it's a single fire coil

Old 07-26-2018, 06:57 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 717 Likes on 567 Posts

If you installed a single fire coil in the place of a dual fire, you will only get spark on the side that has a trigger lead. If you have a dual fire system, you need a dual fire coil

Old 07-27-2018, 09:36 AM
Ireland
Advanced

Hi. The coil I replaced is the original and it is a single and I bought the same from Harley and replaced it and still no spark on rear. Would the cam sensor make it only fire on one

Old 07-30-2018, 04:40 PM
Ireland
Advanced

What else would make it not spark on rear cylinder when it's not coil plugs or leads

Old 08-01-2018, 04:08 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 717 Likes on 567 Posts

post up a picture of your coil, i don't have access to a factory manual for your year bike,,according to what i can look up your bike is MM injected, correct? if your coil has 2 small terminals that get small guage primary wires that hook up to it and then the 2 secondary(plug wire) terminals it's a dual fire coil. one primary wire gets battery voltage when the igniton/kill switch is on, the other is the trigger from the timer plate/module assembly. when it gets the trigger signal, the grounding of the circuit, the coil fires spark to both plugs, there really isn't anything else to go wrong except that the coil or wire is bad.
a single fire coil is actually 2 coils in one housing. there are 3 small primary terminals, one is power and the other 2 are triggers usually on each side with the plug secondary terminal. the power is supllied at key on, and each termianl is fired individually, no wasted spark/dual fire.
if you have the more modern looking deutch connector as the primary input on your coil, it might be single fire, and if you are not getting the trigger imput for the rear cylider, that would be something different, but without having the factory manual and wiring diagram available to me at the moment, that is the best i can tell you.
m

Old 08-02-2018, 01:41 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

I think it’s time for a compression/leak down time to be sure the rear cyclinder is healthy.
Also you could try,swapping,the,plug wires to see if the rear cylinder starts firing.
Bob

Last edited by FLTRI17; 08-02-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:57 AM
Ireland
Advanced

Hi. Thanks for the replys, I am actullly away on my holiday in Orlando at the min so can't take a picture. The bike is the MM injection 1340 eve and 100% standard. The coil is the original single fire and I bought a new stock replacement from Harley and it still not spark. I have tested the leads and plugs so it can't be any of them, would it be the cam sensor or would this not make it spark on both. I will post some pic of the coil and bike when home

Old 08-08-2018, 11:32 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Are you sure that you are not getting spark, and it isn't a fuel problem? If you are sure that it is a spark issue then swap the plug wires around, and see if the rear will fire, and the front will not. Could be that the new coil is bad as well. The correct OEM part number is 31639-95 , which is a dual fired coil.

What I suggest doing on any M&M bike problems is to first make sure that the battery is in proper working order. Next check for any stored trouble codes. There is a key ON/Off procedure which will make the engine light flash the stored codes.

Do that after you have fun with Mickey & friends, and report back what you find.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Ireland
Advanced

Hi did all that and it's the proper new coil new leads new plugs I have swapped them and still on spark at rear so it not compression not fuel. This my first Harley with ecm and just not familiar, I think maybe cam sensor but don't want to waste more cash if it's not , there are no codes with the flashing dash light I tried that

Quick Reply: No Spark on rear cylinder