Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection-55/)
-   -   Gdetting back into tuners (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection/1447199-gdetting-back-into-tuners.html)

Rounders 12-20-2023 07:27 AM

I am not looking to do the tuning myself, as said I am just looking for canned map, and maybe that is it.

I played around in past,but not really interested at the moment.

CaptCrunch 12-20-2023 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rounders (Post 21496037)
My question was do these program ECM or piggy back. When I was into this only Harley programed everything else piggybacked. At that time thundermax was way expensive, I didn't even look at their products this time. To me it looks like these newer ones flash.

I did speak to fuel moto, they said PV-1b had less issues and call backs, then PV-4, and better on my year. It is an upsell. I am not sure if I care about auto tuning. But I'll probably get it.

Problem with Fuel Moto is they want to sell kits. Myself, I'd just bore my cylinders and save a few bucks. I was hoping to buy the rest from them. But talking to them I think it will be piecemeal.

I am not sure what I am going to do for lifters. Not sure they are worth $300. Last build I did S&S. Harley ones are cheap and have lasted.

They recommended TW222, which they said was good for 96-107. I'll probably go with that. I was thinking about andrews 21 or 26, which they sell.

So whats the differenfe going to fuel moto for a tuner and just buying it from dynajet? They also have maps. I downloaded app. I wanted to look to see what they had avalable, but it needs to connect. Maybe I can find out on their site?

I'll probabloy go with fuel moto, couple bucks cheaper.

Last time I checked fuel moto had the lowest prices I could find for PV products. I don't know the difference in map quality between the two or how far dynojet is willing to take their map support but I've had pretty good luck with fuel moto. I believe they will take your log files and use them to modify your maps. Not sure how much good that can do if the bike doesn't have widebands.

It seems a PV with wide-bands and a thundermax that comes with wide bands is comparable in price. Thundrmax has been harder for me to read and interpret the calibrations than the powervision tables were. Fuel moto can preprogram either before they ship it to you, another thing dtnojet may not offer.

Lonewolf176 12-20-2023 10:32 AM

Why buy something new? Just spend the same $$ and have someone tune it with the SERT.

Rounders 12-20-2023 11:14 AM

I wondered about sert I bought years ago, just load a canned map that came with it. I suppose challenge of using a Dyno is someone running a computer that talks to it .

As far as widebands,07 was first year of o2 sensors, except for maybe certain states. Not sure difference in sensors

Ed Ramberger 12-21-2023 10:56 PM

If you are looking to keep it simple and as cost effective as possible you could build one of the combinations in the SERT or SEPST and load a canned map. A 251 or 259 is great in a touring bike. THat's easy and from reading your posts you are just looking for a decent refresh with a bump in power.

Rounders 12-22-2023 09:17 AM

I've thought about looking at sert maps for 2-1 pipe and similar cam.

60Gunner 12-26-2023 05:31 AM

There's no such thing as autotuning. Something you might want to consider here. If you think you can just plug a tuner in and presto, it tunes your bike, you are sadly mistaken.

Rounders 12-26-2023 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by 60Gunner (Post 21502573)
There's no such thing as autotuning. Something you might want to consider here. If you think you can just plug a tuner in and presto, it tunes your bike, you are sadly mistaken.

I think it comes down to what you really want, and are you willing to leave some on the table. The bike left the factory with a canned map. I ran a canned map 70k miles. I was going to get it tuned when I built the engine, but just never got around to it.

Carbs are not much different than a canned map, even if you dyno, due to limited changed you can make.

But I also admit I know nothing about auto tuning, or whatever you wish to call it. I tend to think it will be good enough for me, but again I know nothing of it. I am not sure if I am going to spend the money to get it dynoed at fuel moto. I pass through the area at times, but they would have to be willing to do it at the end of the day, per my schedule. And I amnot sure I want to spend a few hundred more, on this simple build. Again my goal is just to freshen up an old engine.

I am not saying for sure I wouldn't. In for a penny for a pound.

with that said, the opposite, I don't know if I want to spend the money for the tuner that can be used for dyno and auto tuning.

CoolBreeze3646 12-26-2023 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rounders (Post 21494723)
I got 2007. When I bought I bought a SERT, a map from a dealer, and did some tweaking for stage I. Now looking to do minor build, low compression, cams, and port. I am considering dynojet power vision 4. Price is part of it and looks simple.
I am not sure I will get it on dyno, and not like to squeeze after hp out of it. Just freshing up the engine, and would like to see if I can cool it down a bit by removing EPA restrictions.
I have not kept up with this technology, From my reading it looks like it flashes the ECM, and is not a piggy back device?
If you did want live data, then you would plug in, and go for ride. But you do not need to leave plugged in? Is there any advantage to leaving it if not trouble shooting?
Can it be tuned, or is just load maps in?
I created an account hoping to see what maps they have, but the app doesn't seem to do anything if, not connected. I was hoping to review it.
Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by Rounders (Post 21502642)
I think it comes down to what you really want, and are you willing to leave some on the table. The bike left the factory with a canned map. I ran a canned map 70k miles. I was going to get it tuned when I built the engine, but just never got around to it.

Carbs are not much different than a canned map, even if you dyno, due to limited changed you can make.

But I also admit I know nothing about auto tuning, or whatever you wish to call it. I tend to think it will be good enough for me, but again I know nothing of it. I am not sure if I am going to spend the money to get it dynoed at fuel moto. I pass through the area at times, but they would have to be willing to do it at the end of the day, per my schedule. And I amnot sure I want to spend a few hundred more, on this simple build. Again my goal is just to freshen up an old engine.
I am not saying for sure I wouldn't. In for a penny for a pound.
you with that said, the opposite, I don't know if I want to spend the money for the tuner that can be used for dyno and auto tuning.

You seem confused again or you forgot what your first post was.

Your original post said you bought a SERT and map from the dealer, your last post stated you ran the OEM canned map for 70K.

Which is it or are you lying again just to make it all about you and your fictitious motorcycle(s).

You need to clarify what you are talking about or are you just spewing your gibberish again without thinking.

You are welcome for the help.

Rounders 12-26-2023 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rounders (Post 21502642)
I. The bike left the factory with a canned map. I ran a canned map 70k miles. g.

All motorcycles leave the factory with a canned map. This comment was pertaining to the need for further tuning. Most people are running a canned map from the factory

Originally Posted by Rounders (Post 21494723)
I got 2007. When I bought I bought a SERT, a map from a dealer, and did some tweaking for stage I. Now looking to do minor build, low compression, cams, and port. I am considering dynojet power vision 4. Price is part of it and looks simple.

Ip.

I loaded a map in the bike in 2007 when I did stage I, that I bought from Lotus harley on line. They would maybe still do sell maps

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646 (Post 21502659)
You seem confused again or you forgot what your first post was.

Your original post said you bought a SERT and map from the dealer, your last post stated you ran the OEM canned map for 70K.

Which is it or are you lying again just to make it all about you and your fictitious motorcycle(s).

You need to clarify what you are talking about or are you just spewing your gibberish again without thinking.

You are welcome for the help.

You aint no sherlock, and none of this adds anything to the thread. Unless you know something about tuners, and would like to share it, why are you in this thread?????????? You are only posting here because you are one of my groupies.