Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection-55/)
-   -   Gdetting back into tuners (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection/1447199-gdetting-back-into-tuners.html)

Rounders 12-26-2023 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646 (Post 21502659)
[c just to make it all about you .
r]

Please forgive me for making it all about me, in the thread I started, to ask a question I was looking fort help with. Ha. You are a hoot.

I suppose next, you will bring up how much I am posting in my own thread, answering your questions.

fuelmoto 12-26-2023 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rounders (Post 21502642)
I think it comes down to what you really want, and are you willing to leave some on the table. The bike left the factory with a canned map. I ran a canned map 70k miles. I was going to get it tuned when I built the engine, but just never got around to it.

Carbs are not much different than a canned map, even if you dyno, due to limited changed you can make.

But I also admit I know nothing about auto tuning, or whatever you wish to call it. I tend to think it will be good enough for me, but again I know nothing of it. I am not sure if I am going to spend the money to get it dynoed at fuel moto. I pass through the area at times, but they would have to be willing to do it at the end of the day, per my schedule. And I amnot sure I want to spend a few hundred more, on this simple build. Again my goal is just to freshen up an old engine.

I am not saying for sure I wouldn't. In for a penny for a pound.

with that said, the opposite, I don't know if I want to spend the money for the tuner that can be used for dyno and auto tuning.

If you are near us we should be able to help out. If you bring your bike we can issue a Power Vision tune license, flash the tune, send you out for a nice ride with PV to log data, and we can review and make any necessary corrections on the spot. The tune license runs $219 and we would not charge to review the data and make sure you are within tune.

Rounders 12-26-2023 12:36 PM

So I would not need to buy the tuner? You would flash my ecm. I might be interested in that. I am not trying to squeeze everything out of a 17 year old bike.

I get to fix valley is a bit in my travel.

Fat11Lo 12-26-2023 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rounders (Post 21503097)
So I would not need to buy the tuner? You would flash my ecm. I might be interested in that. I am not trying to squeeze everything out of a 17 year old bike.

I think that would be your best bet, economical and you don't have to learn any new system

fuelmoto 12-26-2023 01:04 PM

Correct, you would not need to purchase a tuning device, we would sell you a Power Vision Tune License. This allows us (or anyone with a Dynojet Power Vision, PV3, or PV4 device) to flash your ECM. We would just take it a bit further by flashing one of our tunes, logging & reviewing the data to ensure your bike is running properly.

Rounders 12-26-2023 01:19 PM

I might do that. My last build added up. And I am sure this one will have more too, on wear and tear items.

I plan on replacing bearings, coil, cpk. Already done a little a lot of other stuff.

Or even put money into my new bike.

Screamin beagle 12-26-2023 01:21 PM

Rounders...if you're really going to go to fuelmoto let them do a full dyno tune on your bike. Getting there is the biggest hurdle because they'll very likely work with you on getting you in and out. You're going through the effort of getting there so why not go for it? Going there and getting a flash would be like going the best steakhouse in the country and ordering a freaking cheeseburger...don't get a cheeseburger. This is just my opinion of course.
just wanted to contradict myself real quick lol...but if no dyno option is available then a flash or canned tune from them is a great second option. I've used them a few times and they definitely have their tunes really close and lots of people are happy with that...only you can make that call.

Rounders 12-26-2023 03:11 PM

I realize it would be a better product. Let's see how the rest adds up. And simply what other costs in the project and my life. I want to buy a sako

​​​​​​See what I see when I check run out , plus whatever else I see. Last build had lots of little stuff worn, like rocker arms, shifter linkages. Probably should do engine mount and stabilizers too.

I have got good information.

Rounders 12-26-2023 09:40 PM

Wow, the auto correct on this one. I get to Fox Valley, a bit in my travels.

60Gunner 12-27-2023 07:36 AM

If you ever make any changes you would have to buy another tune license. Now you're up to $500 and still don't have a tuner to make any changes on your own. And this method is not a full tune. Neither is 2 hours on a dyno tuning the VE tables.
It's up to you what you're willing to settle for. 80%? 90%? You don't know. All you know for sure is it won't be 100%.

Quite frankly, with your low compression 95 build or whatever it is you're doing, you can't afford to lose 10%. You might end up with less power.
Yep, bikes come with canned maps. Its why even stock bikes benefit from a good tune.