Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

What was done to my ignition system ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 08:26 AM
sptsinfla
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What was done to my ignition system ???

Guys, bare with me,I'm your latest new member. I have a 91 sporty 1200. To make a long story short, bike won't start, have the Harley shop manual and I'm checking through the ignition system. I fried the ignition sensor and the coil failed a resitance test. I bought those two components, figuring the module was toasted too ( i wired the coil reverse ). So anyway, put the new coil in and I was looking through the manual and thought, lets look at the module and run a couple of the tests the book shows for that. I pull the cover off, I have no module !!! In place are two silver canisters with two post each on them. Looking at the wiring, there is new 16 gauge wire that has been added for these. In addition, I do not have the CV carb but a Zenith. The VOSS sensor is not there either. Another thing noticed, it looks like the kill switch wire ( book shows as gray) goes no where with nothing to plug into....Is this an older ignition system ? Why in the world would anyone modify the ignition system like this??? And how the heck do I fix it !!!

Thanks,
Rick

Old 12-31-2005, 11:07 AM
sptsinfla
Stage III
Default RE: What was done to my ignition system ???

Also, pulled the cover where the ignition sensor SHOULD be, there appears to be a magneto style device ? I'm so confused !

Old 12-31-2005, 01:06 PM
sptsinfla
Stage III
Default RE: What was done to my ignition system ???

ok, did some surfin, i have a dana 5 oh side post coil which appears to be for a dana S type ignition. So how do I check it out and what are all of the parts associated with it ? Are the two canisters where the module should be part of it ? Why do people mess with mother nature !