Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Stage 1 without the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:21 PM
alstrud
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stage 1 without the bike?

I have a 2008 Ultra Classic in Havana, Cuba and cannot get it to a dealer for the Stage 1 upgrade. It goes without saying that I have heat issues. I already have the HD oil cooler installed and use Syn3, but it's still hot. I'm told that the Stage 1 will bring the temperature down a bit. Does anyone know if it's possible to take ONLY the ECM to the dealer for the STAGE 1 upgrade? I'm going to Bike Week in Daytona next month...without the bike...

Old 01-15-2008, 10:29 AM
adlerx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stage 1 without the bike?

Just buy a SERT while you are in Daytona and do the download yourself when you get home. The download you'll want is calibration #100

Old 01-15-2008, 10:40 AM
fxrp
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: alstrud

I have a 2008 Ultra Classic in Havana, Cuba . . .

This just don't sound right!

Old 01-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Dsanchez
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....I agree with the earlier post about the SERT....but while you're at it consider ANY of the tuners that have both adjustments for air/fuel & timing. I personally would not do just the stage 1 "dealer" download if your concern is the heat. It won't richen things up enough to cool it down.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:05 PM
extech
Road Master

Wait a minute....I've traveled throughout the caribbean, been to Havana for a day trip,never did I see a H-D newer than a late 50's ,maybe early sixties pan.
I want the full story here.........seriously!
How.....what about Fidel?? It has to be the only F.I. bike on the island,who services it?

Old 01-15-2008, 02:16 PM
extech
Road Master

Another option for you would be to have a power commander pre-programmed and sent over as you cannot pre-program a factory ECM.
If you like PM me and I'll give you the details.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:11 PM
alstrud
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies...I'm definitely buying a PowerCommander or something like it in Daytona...so with that, I don't need the Stage 1???

As for my story...

I'm a Canadian Diplomat and getting the bike here was no problem under diplomatic privilege. Fidel hasn't seen it yet...as far as I know...maybe he's seen a picture, but to the best of my knowledge, he hasn't been out and about lately. The motorcops here ride Moto Guzzis or Yamaha Viragos and I get stopped all the time just so they can look at the bike. I don't mind stopping for them, but the guys in the Ladas get on my nerves. The UC is definitely one of a kind here and definitely gets stares wherever I go. I've seen Metric bikes and BMWs belonging to other embassies and a Sportster registered to a Foreign Business man, but no baggers like this.

As for service, I'm forced to do it myself...my new Service Manual should be waiting at Peterson's in Miami...hopefully, I won't need much more than basic maintenance done during the next year and a half (my post is ending here in summer 2009). The Harlistas that are here (you're right extech...mostly pre-1959 machines) are amazing when it comes to keeping their bikes on the road, but I wouldn't THINK of letting them touch this one. Hey extech...if I have problems, perhaps you could come to Cuba again for a service call...

Interesting story here...don't know if it's urban legend or not, but some say that prior to the revolution in 1959, all the cops rode Harley's. After the revolution, Fidel couldn't have his forces seen on American machines so they were all buried somewhere on the Island. Would I love to see that bunker!!! That would be like finding Saddam's gold in Iraq!!!

Old 01-16-2008, 06:33 AM
flhtc07ok
Advanced

Although I've not tinkered with this feature yet, the SERT allows access to the Heat Management System on '02 and later Touring models. The basic system in-place had 3phases; 1. reduce idle speed 2. add fuel (richen the AFR) to cool 3. injector skip (only during idle). The phase 3 step reduced the number of times a cyl. would fire during idle only - fewer fires/lower temps.

This system has something new for '07 and up big twins - EITMS (Engine Idle Temp. Management). This is in addition to thethree phase system above and actually shuts-down the rear cylinder, "...when ALL of the following occur:"

1. Engine temperatures reach ~300F
2. And the vehicle is at IDLE
3. And the vehicle is STOPPED

So, when you get your SERT, in addition to adding the optional Fan Kit For Touring Models ($379.95 in Chrome), turn the EITMS option on.

H-D does warn that when the EITMS is on, when stopped, idling, and getting hot, the odors from the pipes may be "objectionable".

Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:24 PM
extech
Road Master

If you install the power commander you will NOT need the Stage 1 download,just the air filter kit.
I'd love to come down for the installation, but I really had to jump through some hoops to get there last time!