Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Road King died and want start

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Barry Weeks
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King died and want start

I have a 97'RKI and today I started to ride and the following happened. First off, It had been cracked every week and today I did the same and allowed the proper warm up time, climbed on, left the driveway and started down the road. After a blocked it died and will not start. Just like it ran out if gas. It goes thru the injected start cycle but will not start? The only things I have done over the winter was to add an XM radio, which is fused and I put some chrome wire covers on the spark plug wires. But it ran and idled forever before it died? Thanks

Old 02-24-2006, 05:10 PM
vharrig
Cruiser
Default RE: Road King died and want start

You sound the perfect candidate for the injector replacement. I would see your dealership and have them check into this.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:15 PM
vharrig
Cruiser

Sorry I didn't focus on the fact you have a 97.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts

You sound the perfect candidate for the injector replacement. I would see your dealership and have them check into this.
This is a 97. Your injectors are fine. Sounds electrical. I'm sure you will get some good suggestions here.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:34 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts

When you say it doesn't start, do you mean crank or it cranks and doesn't start? First step

Old 02-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Barry Weeks
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

When you say it doesn't start, do you mean crank or it cranks and doesn't start? First step
It did crank and warmed up, then when I started out, it died. Last night, after sitting the afternoon, it cranked again and I rode it up and down the road and then it just died again just like the power was turned off.

Old 02-25-2006, 05:03 PM
taurusjim
Cruiser

try the kill switch.....jim

Old 02-25-2006, 09:21 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

ORIGINAL: Barry Weeks

ORIGINAL: TCSTD

It did crank and warmed up, then when I started out, it died. Last night, after sitting the afternoon, it cranked again and I rode it up and down the road and then it just died again just like the power was turned off.
Two things come to mind, first is the battery terminals, remove them clean them and replace them. Use a wire brush or sandpaper to do it. Second is a bad main breaker, depending on the year, there was a recall to increase the size of the main breaker on some models. They can also go bad and require replacement too. Ween it goes dead, try to locate the breaker and jump the two terminals with a piece of heavy wire and see if it comes back to life. You can also suspect the connections on the back of the ignition switch for being corroded or loose too.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Barry Weeks
Intermediate

I did check the battery connections to they are ok. Over the weeknd it did the same thing a number of times as far as it would crack, run and ride for a few minutes and then die. Later after sitting, it would crack again. I will check the ignition connections tonight. Where would the main breaker be located? Thanks

Old 02-27-2006, 11:28 AM
HDF Tech
Banned

You can find the location in the manual, usually under the side cover on that bike.

Also from what you say here, I would not rule out fuel contamination either. It would build up on the outlet screen in the tank and choke the engine for fuel. Best bet is to see when it happens if you have spark at the plugs or not and go from there.

I did check the battery connections to they are ok
I hope you REMOVED them and cleaned them, not just checked them. The problem with them can't be "seen". It is just a bad connection.

Quick Reply: Road King died and want start