Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

CVO injectors again

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 11:34 PM
BigGeorge
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVO injectors again

I hate to beat this topic to death but here is what I learned today. I went to 3 different dealers in 100 mile radius and talked to 7 mechanics and 3 service reps and a dyno guy. They all said the same thing, that the old style 8* injectors are only being replaced if there is a starting or driveability problem. It is a Service Bulletin not a recall. They also said that the MOCO wants proof of any problem demanding the dealer service dept perform tests confirming a problem really exists and not just taking the customers word for it. The mechanics at all three places said if my bike is running allright there is no need to change the injectors and no need to worry about burning up the motor due to a lean condition. Since I have zero miles on my new bike I cant say at this time if I have a problem or not. They all suggested I get some miles on the bike and if there is a problem it will be corrected under warranty. Where do I go from here? I've run out of dealers. Should I just pay to have the new CVO injectors installed? I dont know who to believe or trust anymore.............................BG

Old 03-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Unbalanced
Cruiser
Default RE: CVO injectors again

BigGeorge,

I personally wouldnt wait even though I would hope my dealer would just back me. The stock ones 8 degree that you have in there are a very cheap made injector made as I understand it for automobiles. I know several people that have had nothing but headaches with those injectors and would have gladly paid 100 bucks to get rid of the headaches vs. fighting with the stealers. They can be very difficult to tune even on a dyno. I watched today at bikeweek them give a tuner a real headache.

just 2 cents for the kitty.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:17 AM
doomie19
Advanced

ORIGINAL: BigGeorge

I hate to beat this topic to death but here is what I learned today. I went to 3 different dealers in 100 mile radius and talked to 7 mechanics and 3 service reps and a dyno guy. They all said the same thing, that the old style 8* injectors are only being replaced if there is a starting or driveability problem. It is a Service Bulletin not a recall. They also said that the MOCO wants proof of any problem demanding the dealer service dept perform tests confirming a problem really exists and not just taking the customers word for it. The mechanics at all three places said if my bike is running allright there is no need to change the injectors and no need to worry about burning up the motor due to a lean condition. Since I have zero miles on my new bike I cant say at this time if I have a problem or not. They all suggested I get some miles on the bike and if there is a problem it will be corrected under warranty. Where do I go from here? I've run out of dealers. Should I just pay to have the new CVO injectors installed? I dont know who to believe or trust anymore.............................BG
I would say run it and see how it acts first. A lot of bikes seem to be fine and most posts are going to be people with problems, not trouble-free injectors. You'll know real soon if you've got the problem, mine went in for service at 40 miles... and that included the trip there.

Depending on the dealer, you may not get a favorable response either. The dealer I bought the bike from admitted the off-idle stumble problem, but said the only way to fix it was with a SERT and dyno time (on a brand new bone-stock bike). He lied to me, then later said he just didn't have time to read the bulletin yet!!![sm=nono.gif] The next dealer picked it up and it stalled just trying to get it into the trailer, which was all it took for them to order up the CVO's. 15 miles, totally different actions.

The issue I'm running into now is actually GETTING the CVO injectors. The time went from 2 days to this week to next week on mine. Now I wish I had my bike this weekend to feather the clutch until the new injectors arrive. Because of the performance issue, they consider it a safety problem now and won't let me have it till it's fixed. Careful what you wish for! I'm sure I'll wear a big smile when it's all said and done, but the initial process of getting things right is frustrating as hell.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:41 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

It sounds like you haven't even ridden your bike yet to know if you have the problem or not. Not everyone has the problem. My CVO injectors were installed today at my dealer. It took them about 8 days to get them in after they ordered them which was right after the service bulletin came out. I actually did have a problem with cold starts. I originally left my bike at the dealers over night about 5 days after I bought it on Jan. 28th so they could see how it acted after sitting all night. They had the same problem I did and I know they were talking to Harley about it and mentioned something about ordering CVO injectors and putting them in. Instead they re-tuned my bike on Feb. 18th right before the Service bulletin came out and tweaked it a little with my SERT and told me to try it. They did make it run better at idle with no coughing and quitting and almost no popping on decel and when shifting, but it didn't fix the cold start problem so they ordered the injectors for me. I have no idea if they performed all the tests listed in the bulletin or not. It took 3 tries this morning before mine started and continued running. I then brought it to the dealer to have the injectors installed. I won't know if the cold start problem is fixed until I try it tomorrow afternoon after I get home from work. I rode it about 70 miles today after the injectors were installed and it felt the same as it did with the original injectors. I really didn't notice any difference, I still got an occasional pop on decel or when shifting but not very often.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:52 AM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

Mine runs fine on the 8 deg injectors, but I have to feather the clutch on the first take-off or it stumbles. I would not hesitate to ride it for a while, but take note of any problems. I talked to the service mgr at my dealer, and explained politely that I was was adamant about having the injectors changed, but I tried not to be a dick about it. He was really cool about it, and agreed to change them when they get the parts.
If yours doesn't run right, just explain the symptoms to them, and insist that they make it right, but you're more likely to get results if you do it by accurately describing the problem you are having, and being professional, but firm.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:35 AM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer was hesitant at first but then agreed to change the injectors out. My bike is at the dealer now just waiting for the injectors to come in. I am having zero problems with the 8's but I figured if all of the new bikes are coming out with the 25's then I wanted them too. Hopefully after they are swapped I'll continue to have zero problems.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Dan B
Cruiser

Wasn't it an upgrade for the ECM involved to?
Or could one just replace the injectors?

//Dan B

Old 03-07-2006, 04:24 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Dan B

Wasn't it an upgrade for the ECM involved to?
Or could one just replace the injectors?

//Dan B
That's still up in the air. The bulletin simply says "update the ecm calibration" but I don't know that there's an actual "update" or not. I'll know within a week or two whether or not there is one. Won't really matter in my case though as I just purchased a SERT and will use one of the pre-configured calibrations for my setup.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:04 PM
KingTom05
Intermediate

Does the sert have a calibration for 8 and/or 25 injectors? I wonder.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:19 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: KingTom05

Does the sert have a calibration for 8 and/or 25 injectors? I wonder.
Yes

Quick Reply: CVO injectors again