Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Carb SERT

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 12:38 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Carb SERT

On eBay, I saw an ad for a Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner kit for carbureted models. What's up with that? What's it supposed to do for you?

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SCREA...spagenameZWDVW

Old 03-30-2006, 08:45 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Carb SERT

All it does is allow you to change the ignition timing MAP. It doesn't adjust the carb or fuel in anyway. IMO, it really isn't a SERT. The SERT is for tuning the ignition and fuel on a EFI bike. This is called the "SE pro ignition race tuner system".

Old 03-31-2006, 09:58 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Springer. I talked to the performance guy at Carolina HD yesterday evening and he told me the same thing. That it allows you to adjust the ignition timing. According to him, it's really not worth the money on a relatively stock engine. However, where it is advantageous is when you start doing serious modifications and go to a high compression engine (say 10.5:1 or higher). Apparently, because the high compression engines tend to run hotter, they are more susceptable to leaning out and experiencing knock conditions in hot weather. So, the advantage of the "SERT" for the carbureted engines is to allow you to change the timing from winter to summer to prevent knock during hot weather. However, the performance guy at CHD prefers using a hand-held module that allows you to choose from six pre-set ignition maps.

Old 03-31-2006, 10:15 AM
springer_
Road Captain

An adjustable MAP ignition can be used effectively in any bike. If you do a few performance mods and get the bike dyno tuned, the adjustable MAP ignition would be a preferred item, IMO. Preset modules limits your tuning abilities, but if you are mild rider and all out performance isn't the goal, they will work fine in many applications.

Old 03-31-2006, 09:54 PM
cootertwo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this "carb sert" will also allow you to set the rev limit? yes,?no?

Old 04-01-2006, 01:11 AM
springer_
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: cootertwo

I think this "carb sert" will also allow you to set the rev limit? yes,?no?
Yes it does. But it only works on 2004 to current models.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:00 AM
fxdxsteve
Banned

sounds like a hi4tc

Old 06-15-2007, 12:23 AM
timmy_k
Stage I

I really like the hd ign tuner. Great for ignition mapping for mild to wild. As everyone probably already knows, don't buy used modules on eBay. They marry to your vin/mod once a map is uploaded. No longer useful.
t

Old 02-23-2009, 05:43 PM
michael95688
Tourer
Default I noticed a difference

I have a "stock" 2004 Softail with a VH Pro Pipe, re-jetted carb and Big Sucker air cleaner. Indeed the carb based tuner is pretty limited as to what it will do but it is a useful tool and I would say necessary as compession goes up and cam lift and duration increases.

I have no interest in dynoing my bike right no so I did it the old fashioned way. I started with the most conservative map and worked my way up until I noticed no difference in the way the bike ran then I backed it up one. It runs cleaner and a little faster I think. I am planning a CV performance carb replacement and may dyno it then or not. It did let me increase the rev limited stock 5500 to 6200 which was cool.

In the long term I am going to a 95" kit and cams. It will come in most handy then. Is it worth the $379 it retails for? No. Is it selling for less these days? Yes. I paid $200 new in the box. Buyer beware however, if the module is opened you might think twice about buying it or al least get a return policy. Once the unit is used one time is is only good on the bike it was used on. It might all be there and might look new and still be useless

I got mine home and found it had been opened. I got it from a reputable dealer and called him right away. He said the service guys do that if they are planning an install. I was leery and asked if I could return it if it didn't work. HE said he'd stand behind it so I kept it and all worked out fine.

Was it worth $200. It was for me.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:48 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since no one touched on this: The SERT is only good for ONE bike or VIN (or in other words, will upload to a bike only ONCE and is MARRIED to that bike) so unless you are absolutely sure of who is selling this item, I'd give it a pass! Better things to buy for the limited "upgrades" it provides: not much use to up you rev limit when you lifter springs will desinigrate (sic) at 6.5K!