Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Owner Install Results...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts
Default TTS Owner Install Results...

With one year, about 7500 miles, and lots of reading on the issue of EFI tuning, I decided to go with the TTS MasterTune for my all-stock ‘08 Ultra Classic.

I had a few issues with the way my bike was running and performing. More specifically, slightly rough cold starts, a little surging at low rpm/speed, some decel gurgling, and the heat issue many talk about.

Several factors led me to believe I could purchase the tuning kit, install it on my laptop, and use the programs myself…so I did.

It might be good to note that I have only limited knowledge of EFI systems and NO experience tuning.

The software installation went off without a hitch. After installing, I did the required software updates…that took more the 2 hours even with DSL.

The MasterTune, DataMaster, and Vtune utilities come with the traditional HELP menus. These are extensive and contain a huge amount of information. I’ve spent the last two days just reading the various topics. These are excellent sources of information and offer great insight as to how an EFI system works.

So, I connected the laptop to my bike, made a copy and saved the existing map, and then selected a “canned” tuning file (TA200-000-B1) from the long list of files already available…it seemed to match my bike’s setup (all stock TC96).

Following the steps, I clicked “Program ECM” and watched the progress bar. The process took less then two minutes. Disconnecting the laptop, I replaced the side panel, saddlebag, and seat. Now, the moment of truth.

Outside air temp was 51 degrees with high humidity and wind but a single press of the starter button fired the motor first time. Idle speed quickly settled at 1400 rpm’s and ran smoothly. In slightly under a minute, the idle slowly began to drop. I eased out of the driveway and began the climb up the street. Normally, the bike does not run well under these conditions for the first several minutes but no problem this time. So far, so good…

The next 25 minutes or so, I rode a familiar route that included speeds between 10 and 50 mph’s with a few stoplights and climbs/decents included.

While completely subjective, I immediately noticed a smoother idle, cruise, and acceleration. The decel gurgle and surging were gone. Unexpectedly, I noticed a bit more power (I could pick up speed and close on traffic quite a bit quicker then before under the same gear/speed configuration).

And the heat??? Noticeably less. I have taken this “test” route many times under the same air temp and humidity levels and I feel comfortable stating the engine did seem cooler both at a stop and moderate speed.

With a lot more study, I’ll attempt the VTune process and compare the results. As of right now, I’m happy with the bike’s mood and performance.

Please note that I have NO connection with MasterTune and offer the above comments strictly on my own.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:04 PM
2Sore
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

thanks for the review....

Old 11-09-2008, 12:54 PM
HERKO
Cruiser

Pine Tree,
Thanks for the well written account of your initial impression of the TTST.

Will be good info for many I'm sure...
....especially this statement (advice):
"The MasterTune, DataMaster, and Vtune utilities come with the traditional HELP menus. These are extensive and contain a huge amount of information. I’ve spent the last two days just reading the various topics. These are excellent sources of information and offer great insight as to how an EFI system works".

Sounds like you're well on the way to a great running bike.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:58 PM
rsofa
Road Captain
Smile

Pine Tree thanks for the info I am thinking about going this route also can you put the stock map back if you want?? Do you know if they have a map for just Slip Ons and everything else Stock??? Where did you buy from and what will it cost me?? Sorry for all the questions!!

Old 11-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Pine Tree

Originally Posted by rsofa
...can you put the stock map back if you want??
Yes. In fact, the HELP files suggests the stock ECM settings be copied and saved in case they need to be reloaded...easy to do and takes about 90 seconds.

...Do you know if they have a map for just Slip Ons and everything else Stock???...
According to what I'm reading in the File Listing, there are a couple of maps to consider for the '08 Drive By Wire touring models. Asking TTS directly might lead you to the right one much faster then I could.

...Where did you buy from and what will it cost me??...
I got mine from board member Doc. TTS lists the single bike program for $425 (see note below). Doc may still discount to board members...contact him for latest info.

The kit consisted of the mini-CD and interface. The CD contains the MasterTune, DataMaster, VTune, and Software Updater programs.

Note: if you don't have the cables (serial or USB), you'll need to purchase those as well.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:26 AM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another Dealer!

In addition to Doc, boardmember HerkoBagger (above) is also a MasterTune Dealer.

http://www.flyingwperformance.com/

Excellent price, and Customer Service second to none!

Old 11-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Pine Tree

Originally Posted by HerkoBagger
...Sounds like you're well on the way to a great running bike.
Thanks!

But in no way would I suggest the "do-it-yourself" guy like me will achieve the same results as a good, knowledgeable tuner. My hat's off to them...

Old 11-10-2008, 12:31 PM
mzodarg
Novice
Thumbs up HerkoBagger

Another recommendation for Herko, Great guy- discounted price, and extremely knowledgeable/willing to help!

Mike

Old 11-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Old Fart
4th Gear

Have a '09 Road Glide with about 1,300 miles now. Installed the SE A/C, V-Twin MGF. dumper slip-ons #30-0349, and the TTS MasterTune. Started with the TD205-001-B1 map. Made two 20-25 minutes runs with V-Tune, generating a new map after each run. It only required two runs for an excellent tune. Folks, this is the greatest thing since "sliced bread". I feel like a kid again, able to tune the EFI just like my old carbureted chevys. I still may run it on a dyno to double check and tweak WOT, but probably more "just for grins", I have run it against a '09 Night Train before and after and these changes and produced a difference of about 4-5 bike lengths advantage, going from 15 mph to 90 mph. The bike runs like a dream. No stumbles, no decel popping, nothing but smooth power.

I must admit I had some GREAT HELP from Doc @HDMD Tuning Center EFI Training,
352.242.9616, hdmd88@yahoo.com. I can highly recommend him also. He is a MasterTune dealer and last time I checked, he was offering a discount on the MasterTune.

It is not all that difficult to use, but does take some study. The help files are very good. If you want to jump in and get one, you won't be sorry. The V-tune function is simply amazing.

Ron

Old 11-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Old Fart
4th Gear

"Made two 20-25 minutes runs with V-Tune, generating a new map after each run. "

I should clarify, You actually make the runs with the DataMaster program, then use the V-Tune program to generate a new map. The software includes MasterTune, for editing, uploading, and downloading maps. DataMaster, for collecting data. And V-Tune, for new map generation.

Quick Reply: TTS Owner Install Results...