Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:35 AM
pacificrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtune blending

Do you do the Vtune blending only on the VE Front Cylander? How about the Rear?

Old 08-09-2010, 05:38 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both, they are different.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Fatbob10
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
Best upgrade is subjective. Most ride Harleys because they stir the soul. So they want to "improve" the sound first, so exhaust is the first mod. If you are picky about the tune, you can use the TTS to get pretty close yourself. But if you want the bike to run near perfect, then you are going to hire a competent tuner (who will likely tune partly with the TTS and augment with experience). If you like to run high RPMs, a free flow air cleaner is nice, and could be stylish.

Then you are going to work a bit on the suspension, Ricor intimidators in the front, perhaps Ricors in the rear, then perhaps a chassis stabilizer.

You also will be customizing the looks to suit your style but the above will be a sweet running decent riding bike. Now you start thinking bolt in cams, more displacement, head work..... it can get out of hand
You are correct that most owners first mod is exhaust. But with these newer motors you can only do so much before the computer needs to be re-maped. Hence its my belief that the TTS would give the owner the most options for virtually any other mod that they wish to do. So if one were to perform the TTS upgrade first. Than their should be hardly no worrys about will this exhaust, intake, or cam work or will I have to get a tuner to tune my computer so that it will properly?

Old 08-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Fatbob10
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

P.S was'nt trying to sound like a smat a$$

Old 08-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,037 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbob10
P.S was'nt trying to sound like a smat a$$
Bob... we are all so very offended... hummmph.

All kidding aside, you are correct in your previous post. The ECM will only do so much to get back to the stock map. The stock map worries me more than doing any mod. L-E-A-N

ABC's

A. Motor heat
B. Exhaust heat/Cat
C. Rider heat/Performance

Any reduction in A or B helps C and it isn't the stock map that will do that for ya.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:24 AM
pacificrider
Advanced

Originally Posted by ColdCase
Both, they are different.
\For Vtune blending the manual does not say anything about blending the rear cylander.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:30 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbob10
You are correct that most owners first mod is exhaust. But with these newer motors you can only do so much before the computer needs to be re-maped. Hence its my belief that the TTS would give the owner the most options for virtually any other mod that they wish to do. So if one were to perform the TTS upgrade first. Than their should be hardly no worrys about will this exhaust, intake, or cam work or will I have to get a tuner to tune my computer so that it will properly?
The consensus among experts here and among the published literature seems to be that you can do just about anything to the late model exhaust and the ECU has enough trim range to deal with it, the bike will not run lean and there is sufficient margin. There are just a few individuals that will disagree. There are quite a few experts here and in published literature that say the ECU has enough adjustment range to accomodate both free flow air filter and exhaust. Personally I think you will be pushing the trim range and have driveability problems, along with a more annoying decel pop.

There is nothing like a good tune to bring the ECU into the middle of its adjustment range such that there is little or no trim required and to liven up the bike regardless of level of mods. If you are most interested in a well running bike, the tune should be #1 on your list, and something the TTS tool kit lends itself very well to this as you can easily modify the tune as you modify the bike.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:36 PM
RicMF
Tourer

I just got my TTS a week or so ago and finally had a chance to do a calibration run yesterday, and I have a question on the VTune generated maps.

For my calibration run, I chose a stock map (AE176-002) and set the full AFR table to 14.6, as instructed. Programmed the ECM, went for a 40 minute ride and collected data. The resultant histogram looked good, had a nice block of green cells.

The bike ran absolutely terrible during data collection too, btw. Cranking back the throttle to 50% or above would generally cause sputters and stumbles. The bike wouldn't idle worth beans either.

Anyway, I took my new data and my starting data and ran them though VTune. Came out almost entirely dark red, which I guess is no surprise. I didn't have time to do a second tuning run, so before I programmed the new map, I selected the AFR Table and clicked "Set to Original" before programming it into my ECM.

My question is, in the new map after click "Set to Original", most of the cells are still at 14.6, so they're running in closed loop. I was expecting most of the cells to be open loop after tuning is performed, is this not the case? If not, then what's changing for those cells (well, for the engine operation points that the cells represent, as controlled by the map file)?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,037 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Did you select the RPM block at the top left to highlight all the cells in the AFR Table or did you select all of them by click and drag before using the "set to original" button?

If not, you didn't change anything. Must highlight all cells in the AFR table before hitting the set to original button.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:09 PM
RicMF
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Did you select the RPM block at the top left to highlight all the cells in the AFR Table or did you select all of them by click and drag before using the "set to original" button?

If not, you didn't change anything. Must highlight all cells in the AFR table before hitting the set to original button.

I clicked the RPM block to select all cells. Setting back to original *did* change many cells, but a large block remained at 14.6.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information