Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:22 PM
streetdjack
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty3
It does I think you need to re-read the past 3 pages as it does reset the AFV

Steve Cole said earlier versions didn't but the last few versions have done so.
I'd like Steve to confirm from wich version of the Mastertune the reset of the AFV is automatic on reflash ...
maybe it could save me the time to do my Vtune again ...

@Dsanchez : you're talkin' to me ?

Old 02-22-2009, 03:41 PM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
If I remember correctly, the TTS has a simple drop down window that you can select and enable the ETIMS.
Thanks, can't get easier than that. Can anyone confirm they have turned on ETMS this way?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,461 Likes on 1,595 Posts

It was one of the early versions I believe that did not automatically reset the AFV. We always had the ability for you to reset them from day one but I do not remember exactly when it got changed. I can say for certain that none of the SERT software reset it automatically.

As for adding "+2" to the VE table that is not exactly what I said. What I have stated and I hope all have taken the right way was that you need to look at the last cell in a given RPM line corrected by V-tune and determine that it has reached ~80 kPa. Once you know that it has by looking at the data collection you can take that value to fill in the remainder of that RPM line. If your on a dyno that is a given but on the street (closed coarse) you need to get the data at all RPM points by loading the motor. This can be done by running the bike in too high of a gear or by dragging the brakes to allow you to increase the throttle position such that you reach the proper point. Now you look at the V-tune information for just the RPM row and you can see what the trend is. Let's say that as you move from lower load to higher load the cells increase by "+2" each time. You could take the last good value and add +2 to it to fill in the next point on that RPM row only. What you are looking for is the trend to follow. The truth is that if you were able to load the bike so that V-tune got to 80 kPa and you used that value over and you would be close enough. The engines do not change much from 80 kPa to 100 kPa at the same RPM point. So if you get the V-tune to ~80 kPa use the last corrected value to fill in to full throttle. If you didn't get to that point look at the trend in the RPM row of good data and follow that.

Now understand if you could not get the motor to get there does it really matter what is in those cells? This is for the people who want to get everything they can and to make it the last knowen good value from V-tune your going to be really close. The way I tune base calibrations is to be to the safe side of things. So when it comes to the VE tables I will leave them slightly to the rich side of things which means slightly larger values. On the spark side that means I will leave the timing slightly retarded as it's safer that way.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Dsanchez
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks

Thanks again Steve Cole !! Your guidance through these forums is another indication of excellent customer support !!!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Screw Loose Dan
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
The way I tune base calibrations is to be to the safe side of things. So when it comes to the VE tables I will leave them slightly to the rich side of things which means slightly larger values. On the spark side that means I will leave the timing slightly retarded as it's safer that way.
Steve - How do you suggest we tune the ignition on Sportster models? I presume with the BT's you are using the ion knock detection to have the guys tune this themselves, right?

Also, out of curiosity how do you make the base calibrations for Sportsters timing? All on a dyno looking for peak power?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Base calibrations for the most part all start on the dyno where things can be controlled. Once that's finished you move on to riding on the highway checking for street mannors. Timing on the Sportster has to be done the good old fashion way by listening and looking at the information gathered on the street and dyno.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:45 AM
emece
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
On the spark side that means I will leave the timing slightly retarded as it's safer that way.
A question to Steve. What kind of fuel do you use in the dyno/street when building the base calibrations?

Having done the VE calibration I'm now with the spark timing, slowly increasing spark advance, but not detected yet any knock issue. I'm using Europe's 95 RON (which I think is like State's 91-92 (R+M)/2).

Best regards.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 AM
emece
Advanced

Originally Posted by cts1950
Time Stamp
Used for acceleration calculations both MPH/Sec and RPM/Sec
In the current product already
But the time stamp has a resolution of only 1 whole second and saturates at 255 sec (less than 5 minutes). Not very useful for me that make all my tunnings on the road. From my garage to the open road I have, at least 3 minutes.

Other enhacements/changes that I think will be valuable are (excuse me if, in my dumbness, I cite here things available right now):
- sliders (specially a horizontal slider) in the "wave" window of Datamaster to move back and forth in the data graphs
- various resizeable/detachable wave windows, with labeled axes, in datamaster
- utility to build other histograms apart from RPM vs. TPS (V-Tune histogram). This way RPM vs. MAP, vehicle speed vs. MAP & MAP vs. TPS would be useful to me
- The .csv file export function does not work here, as the operating system uses the comma, not the dot, as the decimal separator. Final .csv file has to many commas (both data separators and decimal separators, this fools both Excel and Matlab). .csv specification says that if any data contains commas that data must be enclosed in quotes, datamaster does not do that
- In MasterTune you cannot increment/decrement cells when comparing them to baseline or original
- there are windows that do not have an option to disable their "always on top" default behaviour
- when printing tables, if you want them to be printed in a different font from Arial you must change font/size each time you print a table. A way to define the 'preferred font and size' will be very convenient

Best regards.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:02 AM
vgreno2000
Intermediate

emece!!!!

You are a hi-level user!!!!

I'll be pleased to know what kind of changes did you make to spark advance, and what are your results for these changes.

As you know I have a TTS and my bike runs good, but everything that improve the power/good riding is good for me!!!

I'm also using a 1200 mt7 map for mi 883 changing the cubic inches, cause I can't use a mt6 in my Sportsty 09. Do you think it coud damage the engeen?

Vssss!!!!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Originally Posted by emece
But the time stamp has a resolution of only 1 whole second and saturates at 255 sec (less than 5 minutes). Not very useful for me that make all my tunnings on the road. From my garage to the open road I have, at least 3 minutes.
That is all that the ECM gives out and yes it stops at 255. There is nothing we can do about it.

Now take a look at the DataMaster playback window. On the right side just above the start stop buttons. You will find the slider bar for the record count. Above that you will see just what your looking for but it does not come from the ECM direcetly. We make it up by keeping track of the time for each record. We will take a look at some of your other comments and see what we can do. There are two standards for the comma issue when being used as a seperator and we are looking into allowing the user to select which one they want to use in a future release already.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information