Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:33 PM
yso191
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
The rear cylinder will always be different than the front and show higher VE numbers. That's normal. When you use the VTune software it uses the stock 02 sensors as long as you have set up the TTS map properly for tuning. If you don't know how, send me your email via PM and i'll send you the "VE without a dyno" instructions written by Doc. This will give you step by step instructions how to set up your bike and make ready for the VTune process and what to do to finish your map before flashing the last time.

Steve, it's the same for your bike too since you have an 08. You use both stock sensors.
I guess I should have been more clear. I was referring to a dual AFR sniffer on a dyno tuner, not when VE tuning. On a dyno, there is typically just one AFR sniffer stuck up the pipe which measures combined AFR out of both cylinders. The author of the article says he uses two: one for each cylinder, thereby getting a more accurate individual AFR reading/setting. He was saying that under a few circumstances this could present difficult to find problems with the two just averaged out.

Steve

Old 04-28-2010, 07:54 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yso191
I guess I should have been more clear. I was referring to a dual AFR sniffer on a dyno tuner, not when VE tuning. On a dyno, there is typically just one AFR sniffer stuck up the pipe which measures combined AFR out of both cylinders. The author of the article says he uses two: one for each cylinder, thereby getting a more accurate individual AFR reading/setting. He was saying that under a few circumstances this could present difficult to find problems with the two just averaged out.

Steve
I haven't seen a PCV tuner but the dyno operators I've seen typically use two sniffers, calibrate the sensors before each run, and replace them often.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:23 AM
dcmassena
Tourer

I just got my Rush slipons and my Big Sucker put on. I loaded the base map for my 2008 sportster and took it out for a quick spin. I'm going to spend time V-Tuning it Friday or Saturday.

A couple things I noticed. When it starts it hesitates for a second. It starts to crank, then pauses for a second then fires right up. Don't know if that is because of the higher flow air cleaner.

I've got a good amount of popping on deceleration. Hopefully after a couple of v-tunes that cleans up.

I can't say that in the short 15 min ride I took that I noticed any real performance gains. The bike did seem to accelerate smoother and there was less hesitation when I twisted the throttle. After a couple v-tune runs I'll ride like normal for a week or two and see how it feels.

I'm pretty pumped to be doing all of this modification myself. Might not be a big deal to some, but I've never been the mechinical type so this is all new to me.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Funk

Old 04-29-2010, 09:26 PM
beerun
Intermediate

I just got done V-tuning my bike and was looking to get more power out of it with out going to have it Dyno. Any ideas

Old 05-03-2010, 08:21 AM
55tango
Intermediate
Default Little Help...

All, just so I'm not loosing my mind...After the first V-tune, you come back and generate a map using your initial MT7 file (that you made the changes to) and the "new" DM3 file you just collected from your ride - so far so good. You take the "generated" MT7 file and upload that to the ECM. Then make your second run - and here comes my question. When I get back and go through the process again to generate the "next" MT7 file, in the generation do I choose the "original" MT7 (the one I originally made changes to) or the one that I generated after my first ride? Doc's instructions says to start the process over again, but I'm not clear on which MT7 file to use for the rest (2nd, 3rd, possibly 4th) V-tune generations...

Old 05-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Originally Posted by 55tango
All, just so I'm not loosing my mind...After the first V-tune, you come back and generate a map using your initial MT7 file (that you made the changes to) and the "new" DM3 file you just collected from your ride - so far so good. You take the "generated" MT7 file and upload that to the ECM. Then make your second run - and here comes my question. When I get back and go through the process again to generate the "next" MT7 file, in the generation do I choose the "original" MT7 (the one I originally made changes to) or the one that I generated after my first ride? Doc's instructions says to start the process over again, but I'm not clear on which MT7 file to use for the rest (2nd, 3rd, possibly 4th) V-tune generations...
You essentially have two maps. The one for your bike that you want to use.. we will call it "A" and the one you setup for your VTunes per Doc's instructions, we will call it "B". Name this map B.mt7 (or something similar) so you will know it is your VETune map. Flash B to your ECM.

Run your VTune data, generate your new VE map using B. It will be renamed B-001, flash B-001 in the bike. Make another VTune data run... use the B-001 and your data recording to generate B-002. Flash B-002 to the bike make another VTune data run, use the B-002 and the latest data run, generate B-003, flash B-003 into the bike. Make another run blend B-003 with latest data run and make B-004, flash B-004 to the bike, make another data run, generate B-005, flash B-005 to the bike.

When you are finished with all the data runs you want to do then take the last generated B-00X (highest number) and complete the instructions by Doc. You then copy the B-00X VE tables and paste them to map "A". Save map "A", flash map "A" to the ECM and enjoy.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by beerun
I just got done V-tuning my bike and was looking to get more power out of it with out going to have it Dyno. Any ideas
Only a question. May sound like a dumb question but it is what it is... Did you read and follow the latest instructions "V-Tune process without a Dyno- Version 2" ?

I highly recommend it. They did a wonderful job writing this and is easy to follow. There are a few tricks in there that have helped many find that little extra and has allowed them to do a proper VTune.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:53 AM
55tango
Intermediate

You essentially have two maps. The one for your bike that you want to use.. we will call it "A" and the one you setup for your VTunes per Doc's instructions, we will call it "B". Name this map B.mt7 (or something similar) so you will know it is your VETune map. Flash B to your ECM.

Both maps start as the one and the same right? "B" is just a working copy of "A"?

Run your VTune data, generate your new VE map using B. It will be renamed B-001, flash B-001 in the bike. Make another VTune data run... use the B-001 and your data recording to generate B-002. Flash B-002 to the bike make another VTune data run, use the B-002 and the latest data run, generate B-003, flash B-003 into the bike. Make another run blend B-003 with latest data run and make B-004, flash B-004 to the bike, make another data run, generate B-005, flash B-005 to the bike.

When you are finished with all the data runs you want to do then take the last generated B-00X (highest number) and complete the instructions by Doc. You then copy the B-00X VE tables and paste them to map "A". Save map "A", flash map "A" to the ECM and enjoy.
Mr, Wizard, I was good till here...I understand the blending of the VE values, but not so good with copying-pasting to your map "A". Don't I just save/name the one I just did all the blending on before flashing the ECM?

Old 05-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by 55tango
Mr, Wizard, I was good till here...I understand the blending of the VE values, but not so good with copying-pasting to your map "A". Don't I just save/name the one I just did all the blending on before flashing the ECM?
It doesn't sound like you are prepping your VTune map "B" for gathering VTune data. Unfortunately a lot of people don't do this properly so they have an incomplete/poor tune.

Both maps start out as the same map. But... Use map "B" to do your VTune data runs. When finished you copy the B map VE Tables to map "A", save it then flash the latest map "A" to your bike and your done unless you want to tweak it a little more in the other table areas due to decel pop or idle or MPG or Spark and alike.

So start here--->

Take map A which is your TTS calibration map from their software and set your Adaptive Knock Retard Tables to 0 and save it again as "A".

Take map "A" and make the changes to it per the VTune instructions such as below and save it as "B"... then flash your ECM with "B".

ARF or Lambda Table = Set all cells to closed loop
Acceleration Enrichment = Set all cells to 0
Deceleration Enleanment = Set all cells to 0
Closed Loop Bias Table = Set all cells between 640 to 780 (I use 684)
Adaptive Knock Retard = Set all cells to 0

Once you are done with all of your VTune data runs you copy your VE Tables from the last map "B"-00X (generated by VTune) and paste them to map "A" and flash map "A" to the ECM.

There's a lot more to it than this... are you sure you have the latest version of the "VTune Process without a Dyno"? No not, have them send you a copy as I don't think it is on their site yet or PM me your email addy and I'll send you a copy. I don't think TTS would mind me giving it to anyone that asks.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
55tango
Intermediate

... are you sure you have the latest version of the "VTune Process without a Dyno"? No not, have them send you a copy as I don't think it is on their site yet or PM me your email addy and I'll send you a copy. I don't think TTS would mind me giving it to anyone that asks.
Thanks for the offer, I do have the latest from TTS (way too much info in that one) and Doc's version 2 also. That's why I asked about that last copy/paste as I don't see that anywhere in either. They both stop at "blending" the VE tables, setting everything back (the tables you initially set to 0), saving then flashing...

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information