Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

fuel management for 09's

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:54 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts
Default fuel management for 09's

I meant to post this here, but accidentally posted it in engine/intake/exhaust/fuel earlier today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A friend of mine is bringing his wife over to my house this evening to look at my SG because he is thinking of trading his heritage for a new 09 SG. He thinks I know alot more than I actually know about fuel management.

He wants to talk to me about exhaust, breather and fuel management. I am looking for some actual facts to help him make a decision. The package from fuel moto seems like a great value with excellent results from what I have read on this forum so far.

I have very little knowledge about SERT vs. PCV. It is my understanding that the pros of the PCV are that it is much cheaper, it is easier for a non-tech person to install himself and there are better canned maps available if you do more motor mods in the future.

I have heard that the PCV is not waterproof and there have been issues with bent pins on the connector and you must be very careful with it.

The SERT is much more expensive and more complicated to use, but the end results in the hands of a good tech are hard to beat.

I would like input and corrections on my opinions from anyone who truly knows both systems.

I would also like to know if one or the other has more options for fine tuning. I am not looking for a pissin match. I already have a SERT and do not plan on buying another fuel management system, but would like to give my friend the best advice possible.

Dennis

Old 02-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you have a SERT already the rest is just study.
I printed out the instruction and read them several times. Then, scared to death, pluged the thing in. Piece of cake. Made a simple change and "programed the ECM". No problem.
Most everything is already set up to download, big selection, and if you study a little you are independant. Easy to modify anything.
Hardest thing was to let the whole setup get into my mind. Looks much more complicated that it is but does take a little to get comfortable.
I still refer to the instruction from time to time as something makes me notice something. I bet I have uploaded to the ECM a 100 times at least.
And the DATA RECORD part opens the engine running before your eyes.
I like my SERT.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:39 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

A bike tuned by a good tuner with either the SERT (or whatever HD wants to call their new deal) or the TTS is well worth the price of admission. When I'm ready for another tuner I'm going with the TTS which is made by the folks who made the original SERT.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

It all depends on what your friend will want to do to the bike over the long haul. We made the SERT for HD and have replaced it with Mastertune. You can do more with Mastertune than you can with any other tuning device on the market today. Does that mean you have too? No, but you can if you want too. It is as simple or hard as you want to make it.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:35 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

thanks for the reply guys. I guess I was aware that there was a newer version of the SERT out there, just wasn't thinking about it at the time. I know I waste money form time to time with my logic, but I usually get the latest, best version of whatever it is that I am buying at the time. If I can afford it that is............

Dennis

Old 02-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Foley Fats
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I changed from a PCIII about a month ago to the TTS Mastertune and the bike has never run better. After running a couple of Vtune sessions and some Tweaks by Doc via email, MPG has gone up between 3-4 MPG and it has better low end torque. I like the ability to calibrate the speedo to the GPS or gearing changes which I'm about to do. The support has been great and I'm really pleased with the product.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I needed to add to my earlier this.

A person, to use the SERT or TTS or just about any, is you need to understand how Fuel Injection works. It's a process.

I am fairly old and I understand how this stuff works, now. My first introduction was in about 1982 when my boy's first car, a 1980 Oldsmobile Cutless Surpreme (California Spects) had something I had never seen before, a "Check Engine", light came on the dash. Nobody had ever seen this around here.(Texas) Even the dealer. Steep learning for me.
So my point is:

If you are not up to speed here, no time like the present to learn. It ain't going away. If you pine for the old days and wish all were carborators, you are wasting you time unless you have an older bike.

Even bucks up folks have problems cause they are dependant on the Dealer's tuner, if they have one. And these come in all versions, some are better. Like playing the piano, it's a gift for most really.

Self tuners seem very interesting. But even this is "do it yourself" or at least needs a real good independant.

If you can do some of this yourself at least you are not helpless. And knowledgable.

But these things take time. Thats alright.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 02-26-2009 at 10:28 AM.