Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Throttle cable install w/o lifting tank?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Kbore
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Throttle cable install w/o lifting tank?

You guys ever install throttle cables on a Tc-88 throttle body without lifting the tank? Seems like you could pull a "fish" through when removing the old cable (one at a time) , and pull it back through with the new cable attached. What do you think?
KB

Old 04-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it would be a lot less work to remove the tank. I hesitated to remove mine, but its pretty straight forward if you have a manual. Tank drain was my biggest hurdle, i should have researched it more on the forum before i did it. Ended up with about a half gallon of gas on the garage floor. doh

Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 AM
Kbore
Road Master

Originally Posted by Zacharia_11
I think it would be a lot less work to remove the tank. I hesitated to remove mine, but its pretty straight forward if you have a manual. Tank drain was my biggest hurdle, i should have researched it more on the forum before i did it. Ended up with about a half gallon of gas on the garage floor. doh
I've pictured the gas spilling all over the floor thing. My crossover is crimped on...

Old 04-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Ya, mine had a black crimped clip on it too. A flat head screwdriver removed it. I just replaced it with a 0.99 clamp from lowes. The easy way is to get a couple vice grips and clamp down either side of the cross over, then cut the middle. Release one side into a tube to drain, then do the other. You just need to replace the cheap rubber tube and the 2 clamps.

You could probably get away with your fishing, feeding idea and not remove the crossover. Take off all the bolts and slide one of those mini plastic bottles of coke inbetween the frame and tank along the 'backbone' of the bike (Drink the coke first..). That might give you some room. I'd just be ready for plan 'B'.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbore
You guys ever install throttle cables on a Tc-88 throttle body without lifting the tank? Seems like you could pull a "fish" through when removing the old cable (one at a time) , and pull it back through with the new cable attached. What do you think?
KB
I've never replaced the throttle cables on any of my bikes, but I would think they may be clamped somewhere under the tank. If so removing the tank would be needed.

Go to Harbor Freight tools and buy a pair of plastic crimping pliars, which you can use to crimp the rubber crossover hose. Once you do that you can pull the hose off one side and immediately plug it. Obviously, have a suitable plug handy. In the past I've used one from a vacuum-hose-plug kit purchased from Auto Zone, and I think the ID is 1/4".

If you have EFI you'll also need to purge the fuel pump and that procedure is outlined in the service manual.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Originally Posted by iclick
I've never replaced the throttle cables on any of my bikes, but I would think they may be clamped somewhere under the tank. If so removing the tank would be needed.
Mine wasn't clamped it was seated in a sort of a half circle plastic holder along with the electical wires. I can see it if I raise the tank on my bike and use a flash light. I ended up having to reconnect my Fuel gauge indicator in this manner on the other side.

That said, I sill beleive it will be easier just to remove the tank

Old 04-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Kbore
Road Master

Thanks for the replies. I should have learned my lesson when trying to not take off the exhasut to remove the clutch cable cover (Road King). I spent at least 3 extra hours trying to figure out a way to not take the whole exhaust down. In that time I could have done the whole job ( I took the whole exhaust down). I'll purge the Fuel Pump and remove the tank. Dont want to be saying "Plan B" should have been "Plan A". Thanks!

Last edited by Kbore; 04-28-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Originally Posted by Kbore
Thanks for the replies. I should have learned my lesson when trying to not take off the exhasut to remove the clutch cable cover (Road King). I spent at least 3 extra hours trying to figure out a way to not take the whole exhaust down. In that time I could have done the whole job ( I took the whole exhaust down). I'll purge the Fuel Pump and remove the tank. Dont want to be saying "Plan B" should have been "Plan A". Thanks!
Funny you say that. The morning I was going to do my clutch cable I drove around for 3+ hours looking for an offset tool that would let me torque the cover screws so I wouldn't have to take the exhaust off. Final said screw it, I am wasting time and effort on 'the easy way' and probably could have been done with it. Good luck on the project.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Squiggs
Advanced

I recently replaced my cables. I was able to do it by just raising the tank and moving it back as far as the crossover would allow it. In fact, I had to do it twice...

Old 04-29-2009, 09:36 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts

Take off the tank after you do you will be glad you did. It is not that hard to do I just did mine two weeks ago if you want to do a good job get some clear heat shrink tubing from e-bay and slip it over the part of the cable that’s under the light and the tank where nobody can see. this will give you more insulation between the braded cable and your metal. On mine I did it double the shrink tubing is very cheap you just have to wait for it to arrive at your house. Buy a cheap heat gun at Lowes for 20 bucks. Trust me I did it on all my cables accept my clutch cable after seeing my friends bike I am glad I did it. But that’s another story.

Quick Reply: Throttle cable install w/o lifting tank?