Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Battery has no charge

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 PM
1993mooglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery has no charge

Couple nights ago my 1993 softail wouldn't start. Battery showed good voltage on multimeter. Tried to figure out the problem, thought may be starter, relay, or solenoid. Figured the battery was good after testing it showed 12v. When i attempted to jump start the bike off my 4 wheeler i got nothing, same rapid clicking noise. Anyway, took battery to autozone and load test showed it was weak. Trying to figure out what is killing my battery-it's about 3 months old (interstate). I don't keep it on a battery tender but during the summer it doesn't sit much. I do however remember coming home from a ride the evening before this occured and noticed that the wires that come from the voltage regulator and go to some plug on the bottom of the engine (sorry i'm not familair with the name) had come loose. The plug was just sitting there-i'm guessing it vibrated out. Anyway, my question is could this be what caused my battery to drain. I'm getting a new battery this weekend, i hope this is my only problem and the bike starts. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:44 AM
Kenton Kyle
4th Gear
Default When voltage regulator is disconnected from the alternator

Reply to Mooglide: When voltage regulator is disconnected from the alternator (as you described), the battery is no longer being charged while you're riding. Instead, the motorcycle is being powered by whatever energy remains in the battery. The battery will eventually discharge as it heats up, looses fluid and quickly deteriorates. You must reconnect the voltage regulator to the two-pin alternator connector on your engine case. Normally, the connector's rubber moister-seal boot will keep the connector engaged. However, with age and exposure to the elements, the rubber hardens, looses its elasticity, and tends to disconnect. My experience with my own '94 Electraglide has been that the voltage regulator electrically functions for about 40,000 to 50,000 miles and the rubber boot lasts about the same. (I'm on my 3rd regulator.) It may be time to replace your regulator. You can tell that its time t replace it if the voltage level durng a ride will not maintain 13 volts. (I routinely check the volt meter on the FLHT dashboard to verify proper voltage regulator and alternator operation.) You'll need to replace battery. Good luck, Kent

Old 08-22-2009, 08:32 AM
1993mooglide
Intermediate

Thanks for the info-very helpful. Going today to get a battery.