Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Big Bore initial start up with SERT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Shekinah5678
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Bore initial start up with SERT?

Hello All

I am a long time reader but have never posted anything. I am prepairing to do a Big Bore kit on my 04 Ultra. I had the S&S 510G Cams installed last year more for piece of mind than for performance. Although I was impressed with the extra low end torque. After a lot of reading on this site I have decided to go with the Axtell 97" kit and have the Heads worked by Axtell as well. I will also be installing a Barnett clutch spring and the Hayden M6 primary chain tentioner while I'm in there. Anyway I am still working up the courage to do this work myself. This site has been very helpful everytime I think of another question I come here and find the answers. The one thing I can't find much help on is my S.E.R.T. I am planning on having the bike Dyno tuned with the SERT at a neerby Dealer. However I am concerned with the initial start up and break in. I was planning on loading one of the maps provided on the CD for breakin but there aren't any really that close. Can I use the closest one and change the tuning constant CID to 97"? If I do that should I increase the Main Fuel Table across the board to make it run cooler and should I touch the main spark table at all? Also should I use this Map for the break in period or take it to the tuner before it's broken in? I forgot to mention that I have a K&N high flow air filter and Vance n Hines big shot ovals connected to standard Harley Head pipes and converted to true duals. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:11 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

give dave at JD's cycleworks in PA a call 1-610-297-0321 or contact doc i will pm you his phone number and tell them your build specs and they can give you the best advice.
or ask chaz from axtell what map he would recomend. ill pm u docs phone number later he may have a map around for that combo or something close.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Shekinah5678
Novice
Default Thanks SEDELUXE

I have been working with Chaz there at Axtell already so I will give him a call and see what he thinks about it. He's been very helpfull and seems very knowledgable. I work midnights and I just got up but I will also try Doc and JD's Cycle works tomarrow depending on what Chaz sais. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Shekinah5678
Novice

Talked to Chaz at Axtell today. He said he's got a map that will work. He said it will just be a set of values that I will have to enter into the system. I need to go through and reread the SERT manual but I'm not sure how to manualy enter a map. I know how to adjust a preloaded map from the cd. I thought a map would be in the form of a program that I could load directly into the SERT tuning mode.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Shekinah5678
Novice

After talking to Chaz at Axtell again my worries have been aleviated. He told me that we would look through the maps that I have on my SERT CD and make adjustments from there. Based on previous maps that they have done. Great guys out there I'm not afraid of sounding stupid when I talk to them. Mainly because they are so knowledgable they could make just about anyone look stupid. Haha!