Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Question about air cleaner changes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 PM
towbyl
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about air cleaner changes

I just changed my air cleaner from a Screaming Eagle air cleaner kit to a Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather kit. Do I have to remap my power commander? Or is it fine since they're both Screamin Eagle air cleaners?

Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is not that much difference in flow to worry about.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:19 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

If they're both high-flow you should be fine, but it will never be "dead-on" unless you dyno it to dial it in perfectly.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Cynnikal
Novice

I love this site! I was looking to do this very thing to my bike (which has a SE Stage 1 and SERT) and add a SE heavy breather kit. Good to know I should be ok without having to dyno it.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:39 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

There is a big difference in air flow between the 2. If you PC is running a canned MAP for the S.E. A/C. just find a MAP that is closer to your current set up. They have canned MAPS for the heavy breather, just look for one that is has your pipes or pipes similar to yours. Or tell me what you have, year style of bike, engine size, pipes and A/C (heavy breather and i'll see what MAP will be good for you.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:07 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,341 Posts

You will see very little difference between these 2 air cleaners in most applications. Once you replace the restrictive stock air cleaner with a higher flowing aftermarket unit the air cleaner is no longer the limiting factor restricting airflow in the intake tract. This is something we have tested many, many times on the dyno.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 01-23-2010, 01:54 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by harleytuner
There is a big difference in air flow between the 2. If you PC is running a canned MAP for the S.E. A/C. just find a MAP that is closer to your current set up. They have canned MAPS for the heavy breather, just look for one that is has your pipes or pipes similar to yours. Or tell me what you have, year style of bike, engine size, pipes and A/C (heavy breather and i'll see what MAP will be good for you.
Where are you getting this info? Have you flow tested both air cleaners? Im sorry but you are not going to convince me that there is any more then a slight difference between the two air cleaners.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:51 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Where are you getting this info? Have you flow tested both air cleaners? Im sorry but you are not going to convince me that there is any more then a slight difference between the two air cleaners.
Never flow tested the filter media itself but I've dyno'd bikes that went from one A/C to the other. I've dyno'd bikes that originally had the S.E. a/c on and switched to the Heavy breather (hrmm, wonder why they call it the heavy breather??) and when running the same MAP that the S.E. a/c had they run to lean in higher TP's and RPM's. Cruising ranges are not off as much but still off a bit. I'm not saying that you'd have problems running the same MAP, but i'm not saying you won't as well. Depends on how lean you were running to begin with. I guess to answer your question, any testing i've done has been in the dyno room with the A/F meter.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:47 PM
towbyl
Stage III

Harleytuner,
Thanks for offering to help.
I have an '03 Fatboy stock, with Screamin Eagle high flow air filter, Rhinehart pipes staggard, with a Power commander three fuel injected. If you need anything else let me know.
Again, Thank you and its much appreciated.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:59 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Harleytuner,
Thanks for offering to help.
I have an '03 Fatboy stock, with Screamin Eagle high flow air filter, Rhinehart pipes staggard, with a Power commander three fuel injected. If you need anything else let me know.
Again, Thank you and its much appreciated.
I'll check my files and see what I have.

You can look at the 2 filters and see the difference. Do you think the same amount of air will go around the S.E. filter throughthe back of the football cover and on the rear side of the filter? Look at a dirty filter and you can see that the majority of the air enters, in the front and top, the bottom is usually to plugged with oil. Whereas the Heavy Breather being cone shaped and facing forward forces air threw the whole filter.

Quick Reply: Question about air cleaner changes