Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dyno Results on a 06 With VH Pipes andFuelPak etc...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 09:39 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dyno Results on a 06 With VH Pipes andFuelPak etc...

Guys..
I know everyone has a preference..FuelPak..PC..Sert..Etc, but I went with a FuelPak as I was doing it myself, went with VH pipes, and my dealer actually recommended it over a PC. I knew nothing about any of it, so thats that.
Now, I have a 2006 Softail FLSTI. Just had the 25 degree injectors put in with the new HD "base map" Thats what they called it anyways. I then did the VH Big Shot Staggereds, Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner, and the fuel pak programmer. I went with the FP0011 settings as per the VH site. Bike seems to run good, better than stock, but still maybe not spot on.
Anyways, I had the 1000 mile service done today and the dealer did a run on the dyno to check it out for me. Not great, but an improvement. 72 HP... 73 ft/tq . looks like I am still lean too. Am going to try and get a recommendation from VH but talking to someone there is like pulling teeth sometimes...thats the only downfall I have with them. Anyway...any tuners or mechanics got any thoughts or suggestions other than buy a SERT or PC? lol Heres a link to my dyno paper showing the air/fuel numbers. Clickk the image to supersize it. I wish it was in RPM instead of MPH though...
http://www.midwestdiver.20m.com/photo2.html

Old 07-26-2006, 11:53 PM
FLSTCI nut
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyno Results on a 06 With VH Pipes andFuelPak etc...

I went with the SERT. After the initial "install", and DYNO I took it back for a tweak because it was still popping on decel, running warmer than I thought it should. My A/F looked pretty good but still popped. After I took it back the popping is now totally gone, runs great, cooler, and I get 45 MPG. He adjusted the 0% and 20% throttle position. I am thrilled! Best $600 I have spent so far. I do wish I didn't have to though. The price for louder than stock pipes.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:01 AM
jrudicel
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: FLSTCI nut

I went with the SERT. After the initial "install", and DYNO I took it back for a tweak because it was still popping on decel, running warmer than I thought it should. My A/F looked pretty good but still popped. After I took it back the popping is now totally gone, runs great, cooler, and I get 45 MPG. He adjusted the 0% and 20% throttle position. I am thrilled! Best $600 I have spent so far. I do wish I didn't have to though. The price for louder than stock pipes.
Yeah, the main reason I did the FuelPak was cost. I guess you probably get what you pay for. I have 711.00 in my pipes, air cleaner kit, and the FuelPak including all shipping.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:13 AM
jrudicel
Road Captain

Update!! I finally got to talk to someone at V/H. For anyone with a fuel pak, this may help. First, anyone with a FP will know that the instructions tell you to set the 18 different modes with their values, then calibrate the throttle with mode 19. You open throttle all the way up then without letting it snap back, back down to idle. From there, I thought it was done. When I talked to them yesterday and told them I was a little lean and had a spike on the air fuel mixture, a guy named Scott asked me if I verified modes 20 and 21? I said I didnt know about modes 20 and 21. He said most people dont as it doesnt say it in the instructions. Anyway, after calibrating mode 19 with the throttle, go to mode 20 and it should say 11 for its value indicating version number 11. Then go to mode 21. This mode verifys you calibrated the throttle correctly in mode 19. When in mode 21 and throttle at idle position it should read 0. When you roll on the throttle, you should see the number count up as you roll the throttle and at full throttle should be 99. He said it shouldnt be 0 then jump straight to 99...or shouldnt be at 95 at wide open etc for examples. He said this is the most common problem with people doing the fuel pak. I went and checked mine, he was right, I hadnt done mode 19 correctly. At idle position, mine said 0. I rolled the throttle and it stayed at 0. At wide open real hard it would jump to 99. Nothing in between. I did mode 19 again and checked 21 again. I got it right that time. Goes from 0 to 99 smoothly with it reading every value in between now. Went for a ride. Seems better than before. Although I wasnt super lean ands the dealer said it was ok, I feel better knowing I found the problem most likely in my calibration of mode 19. Maye this will help anyone else with a fuel pak.

Old 07-27-2006, 11:34 AM
jaspin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jrudicel

Thanks for the info. I installed a fuel pack on my streetglide with the breather kit and v&h ovals and have been getting some popping, I am going to check mode 20 and 21 when I get home.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:08 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The A/F graph on that dyno run is Ugly.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:36 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: jaspin

jrudicel

Thanks for the info. I installed a fuel pack on my streetglide with the breather kit and v&h ovals and have been getting some popping, I am going to check mode 20 and 21 when I get home.

Cool. Hope it helps. Let us know what you find out!

Old 07-27-2006, 12:42 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: fl_799

The A/F graph on that dyno run is Ugly.

Yeah, I know.What exactly would a nice one look like? A flat line at 13?
Hopefully i found the problem that will help it out...although...based on other numbers I have seen on here, its not too bad on the HP number etc for a stock motor I think. Dealer said it was alot better than it was stock and wasnt lean enough to hurt anything, and definately not as lean as a stock bike. I had a buddy with a 2003 FLHTPI police bike and he did the Rienhart pipes, SE air cleaner, and a SERT with dyno tune and his HP was about the same as mine..maybe 1 or 2 more, and dont remeber tq numbers. And he has like 1300 in all of it...so for 711.00 for everything on mine, I am please with the bang for the buck. I may do another run sometime now that I properly have the fuelpak calibrated just to see the difference...

Old 07-27-2006, 08:39 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Depends on the portion of the 'map' they are sniffing and trying to tune but a WOT run should show a flat A/F ratio between 12.8 and 13.2:1. That 16:1 lean hump is really bad and the 14:1 actual is still too lean up top...should be 12.8 (conservative) to 13:2 (HP and TQ peak). Looks like they didn't even tune the bike at all.

If those guys handed you that winpep sheet with a straight face then they should be on the World Texas Hold 'em poker tour and making big bucks.

Another item to add to my scrap book.....my collection is growing at an alarming rate.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:59 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: fl_799

Depends on the portion of the 'map' they are sniffing and trying to tune but a WOT run should show a flat A/F ratio between 12.8 and 13.2:1. That 16:1 lean hump is really bad and the 14:1 actual is still too lean up top...should be 12.8 (conservative) to 13:2 (HP and TQ peak). Looks like they didn't even tune the bike at all.

If those guys handed you that winpep sheet with a straight face then they should be on the World Texas Hold 'em poker tour and making big bucks.

Another item to add to my scrap book.....my collection is growing at an alarming rate.

Just to clarify.. The dealer DID NOT do ANY tuning on my bike. As you may know, the fuelpak isnt as easy to tune as say a SERT or PC. I did the install of the pipes , air cleaner, AND fuel pak and set up the fuel pak with the settings for my bike per Vance and Hines. I had my dealer do the 1000 mile service and also run a dyno pass on it for my own knowledge. They told me it was lean..and showed me the spike. I asked if it was "too lean" and lean enough to "hurt anything". They said it wasnt too bad to hurt anything and it wasnt as lean as a new bike comes from the factory. If I had a PC or SERT, they could have tuned it while on the dyno. I know its not optimum for sure, but at the same time for the small amount I have invested in all the parts, not too bad of numbers considering if the dealer did it all with a tune i would have doubled my expense. The FuelPak was 213.00 to the door...a SERT is 367.00 (or 450.00 at the dealer) plus tuning and dyno costs. I was on a budget hence why I did the FuelPak for now. Live and learn.
After talking to VH I found an error in my calibration of the throttle, so that should have helped. I get the ectra money sometime I may do another pass for the hell of it and see what it shows now...or maybe a SERT down the road but figure I will have another bike by then..

Quick Reply: Dyno Results on a 06 With VH Pipes andFuelPak etc...